Tue, Oct 22, 6:45 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 22 3:39 am)

Subject: Poer Pro Headaches

metabog ( ) posted Tue, 20 May 2008 at 9:19 AM · edited Tue, 22 October 2024 at 6:43 AM

Installed Poser Pro last night. When I click on a Library folder to open it - Poof ! - Poser Pro just instantaneously disappears - no crash message - nothing.

Also have another phenomena going on I would describe as "cursor delay". Takes a second or two for the mouse to switch back from, for example, the move tool back to the pointer.

*Sigh

This may have something to do with my graphics card. Anyone else having similioar issues?

ghelmer ( ) posted Tue, 20 May 2008 at 9:25 AM · edited Tue, 20 May 2008 at 9:26 AM

What type of graphics card??  Poser 6, 7 and Pro have been known to not play nice with the last few versions of ATI's Catalyst drivers...  I just downgraded to the 7.10 drivers and all is well!!

The Poser Pro weirdness I've been experiencing is trans maps (be it hair, eye brows whatever) don't render properly at all...  either not there at all or very faint.  Fortunately for me it's no big deal as the whole reason for Poser Pro for me is the ability to take the Poser scene into 3D Studio Max and once in Max all trans maps render properly.

All in all Poser Pro is very worthwhile for me.  Just like the good ol' Poser Pro Pack from way back in tha day when I was using it with Max 3.1!!!

I hope you can get this figured out!!

Gerard

The GR00VY GH0ULIE!

You are pure, you are snow
We are the useless sluts that they mould
Rock n roll is our epiphany
Culture, alienation, boredom and despair

metabog ( ) posted Tue, 20 May 2008 at 9:32 AM

Yep I updated my ATI Catalyst drivers a month or so ago. And after that the "cursor delay" phenomena started in Poser 7. Maybe I'll give that a try, downgrade back to the 7.10 drivers. 

Gareee ( ) posted Tue, 20 May 2008 at 9:57 AM

Ati's drivers are a huge issues for anything with opengl. For the last six months. Locate you poser.ini file, and search for boxpicking=0, and change that to boxpicking=1

Save that, and restart poser, and odds are you'll find the sluggish issues are resolved.

Supposedly this month's new ati drivers are supposed to be a HUGE opengl fix, but the months already more then half over and they haven't materialized.

(And for what it's worth, Nvdia drivers have many similar or different opengl issues.)

Oh, and ati drivers are dated monthly, so a rollback one month would be to 8-3 drivers, not 7-10 drivers... those would be from October last year!

Way too many people take way too many things way too seriously.

ghelmer ( ) posted Tue, 20 May 2008 at 10:06 AM

I had harsh sluggishness from 7.11 and up, so that's why I went back to 7.10...   they work fine for me!  THanks for the tip though Garree!!

Gerard

The GR00VY GH0ULIE!

You are pure, you are snow
We are the useless sluts that they mould
Rock n roll is our epiphany
Culture, alienation, boredom and despair

metabog ( ) posted Tue, 20 May 2008 at 11:23 AM

I'll try that too Garee, adjusting the poser.ini file. Thanks for the information on ATI I'll keep an eye  for this month's refreshed update.

Darboshanski ( ) posted Tue, 20 May 2008 at 2:41 PM

I have this going on with the newest Nvidia drivers in P7 cursor problems and crashes without warning or an error message. Driver # 169.21 for Nvidia has been a death sentence so I rolled back to an earlier version. I know there is a new driver version up at Nvidia but I have been chicken to install it. I don't want to be installing and uninstalling drivers I don't think that is good for one's system. Does this poser.ini file trick work with Nvidia drivers or only for ATI?

My Facebook Page

aeilkema ( ) posted Tue, 20 May 2008 at 3:46 PM

Am I correct in stating that Poser Pro doesn't use a poser.ini file anymore? I've looked for it but couldn't find one. Found one for Poser 6, but not for PP. Can this boxpicking solution somehow be implemented in PP (Base) also?

Artwork and 3DToons items, create the perfect place for you toon and other figures!

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/index.php?vendor=23722

Due to the childish TOS changes, I'm not allowed to link to my other products outside of Rendo anymore :(

Food for thought.....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYZw0dfLmLk

markschum ( ) posted Tue, 20 May 2008 at 4:22 PM

Poser 7 put poser.ini in the C:Documents and SettingsOwnerApplication DataPoser 7Poser.ini
folder rather than the program folder .

aeilkema ( ) posted Tue, 20 May 2008 at 4:33 PM

Found it there for PP also, thanks!

Artwork and 3DToons items, create the perfect place for you toon and other figures!

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/index.php?vendor=23722

Due to the childish TOS changes, I'm not allowed to link to my other products outside of Rendo anymore :(

Food for thought.....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYZw0dfLmLk

metabog ( ) posted Tue, 20 May 2008 at 10:45 PM

Thanks to all, solved the sluggish mouse phenomena.   BUT.....(drumroll)

Here's my newest challenge. I have my content arranged in multiple runtimes on a separate drive. I had no trouble mounting my old Poser 6 and Poser 7 runtimes, and accessing the content within them, but any of the other multple runtimes will mount but won't display the content icons. For example, I can mount my Toons Runtime, I can click on the Character library folder within that runtime, then click on the Favorite Toons folder within it, but then none of the content icons display in the library. For some reason PoserPro "finds" the old Poser 6 runtime on my C drive and my old Poser 7 runtime on my F drive but it cant "find" any of my other customized runtimes which are also right there on my F drive. 

This is all new in Poser Pro never had this happen in any previous version of Poser and cant find anything in the documentation about what I'm doing wrong. Anyone else who's experienced this phenomena or knows how to resolve?

gothwillowfan ( ) posted Wed, 21 May 2008 at 6:07 AM

I've added all my external Runtimes to Poser Pro with no trouble at all. All my content is displayed in the same way as it ever was in P7.

Silly question but you have added your external Runtimes from within Poser by clicking the + (add Runtime) at the bottom of the runtime sidebar?

metabog ( ) posted Wed, 21 May 2008 at 8:33 AM

Gothwillowfan, I found a solution, there was a post over at Content Paradise about this. I did the same thing they did and it worked but I've never had to do it this way before and I haven't seen it described clearly in the documentation.

As an example , if you wanted a runtime to hold all your toon related content, you set it up this way: Create a folder named Toons. Within that folder create a folder named Runtime. Within that folder create a folder named Libraries. Then populate the Libraries folder with your content folders, character, pose, hair, etc. which contain your various toon content. Click the + (add runtime and choose the folder you named Toons to mount the runtime.

Funny thing is I didn't have to do this to add my old Poser 6 and Poser 7 runtimes.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.