Wed, Oct 2, 10:19 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Vue

Welcome to the Vue Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, TheBryster

Vue F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 26 4:27 pm)

Subject: Questions about SkinVue

dstephany ( ) posted Tue, 20 May 2008 at 1:13 PM · edited Wed, 02 October 2024 at 10:18 PM

Hello...everyone!

There are two questions I would like clarification on regarding SkinVue.

1. The first is, does SkinVue help save system resources in Vue by modifying the skin textures or converting them to Vue procedural materials as opposed to simply importing Poser figures with the textures they already have on directly through Vue's native import feature ?

2. If I purchase SkinVue, what happens to ALL the character sets I own, like for V4 ? I don't want to be stuck using one set of generic textures and nothing else. I own many custom character sets and would like to be able to still use them in Vue. 

Well thats about it for now. I'd certainly appreciate any feedback anyone wants to make. I know these questions have probably all come up before at some point so sorry for any repetition.

FrankT ( ) posted Tue, 20 May 2008 at 1:33 PM

1.  Not really.  There's 3 different conversion options in SkinVue - Enhanced, procedural and one I never use and can't remember the name of.  The Enhanced conversion uses the original texture maps for the figure but adds a whole lot of other nodes and stuff (the function editor for a SkinVue material looks a bit like an explosion in a wool factory - lines everywhere :) )
You can use the "Render with Poser Shader tree" option if you have a lot of RAM - I still think SkinVue looks better though (and does a much better job of SSS and Fresnel than would otherwise be the case)

2.  You can use SkinVue on any texture you want.  It doesn't replace the maps but it enhances them a lot.

Hope that helps

Regards

Frank

My Freebies
Buy stuff on RedBubble

dstephany ( ) posted Tue, 20 May 2008 at 1:58 PM

yeah that does, thanks Well I have 4 gig, which you would think would be enough but not always is and I have tried using the "Render with Poser Shader tree" option and yes your right that does seem to make a big difference usually.

I'm going to have to still think about this some more but I appreciate the feedback!

Best regards!

Peggy_Walters ( ) posted Tue, 20 May 2008 at 2:13 PM

Skin Vue is one of the products I could not live without.  I use it for every Poser people import.  The Procedural convert works great, even for closeups - ad saves tons of resources.  You can add sweat, water, dirt, so your people never look plastic.  The enhanced is awesome with texture maps you dont want to replace, but just make them look great in Vue.  Cel shaded is the other option.

LVS - Where Learning is Fun!  
http://www.lvsonline.com/index.html

bruno021 ( ) posted Tue, 20 May 2008 at 2:19 PM

To add to Frank's response, using only procedurals will indeed save resources, because it will replace the maps with procedural shaders that use very little ram ( but need more computation than textures when render time comes).
The enhanced method uses the maps and adds nodes, as Frank said, but it also can save resources, because it collapses textures, for example for V4, you have many body part textures, SV will create a single one for body, arms,hands, legs & limbs, so it will save some resources this way.
The 3rd option is toon lines, with many cool filters for animé and sketch style renders.

Kaji ( ) posted Tue, 20 May 2008 at 8:22 PM

SkinVue works on characters exported as OBJ from Daz Studio. This is great if you don't have Poser. :)

dstephany ( ) posted Tue, 20 May 2008 at 8:33 PM

well I must say all this is making me much more interested in purchasing SkinVue because its not practual for me to upgrade to a 64 bit system so anything right now that would help with Poser imports would be greatly welcomed.

Kaji ( ) posted Tue, 20 May 2008 at 8:39 PM

SkinVue doesn't work in 64 bit Vue. He's having a problem with wxPython, this has been an issue for a while.

dstephany ( ) posted Tue, 20 May 2008 at 8:48 PM

well but if you really HAD a 64 bit system, you think you would even need Skin Vue ? You probably could just import everything using Vue's import using Poser Shader without worrying about running out of memory. haha!!

Kaji ( ) posted Tue, 20 May 2008 at 8:58 PM

Quote - well but if you really HAD a 64 bit system, you think you would even need Skin Vue ? You probably could just import everything using Vue's import using Poser Shader without worrying about running out of memory. haha!!

They look different. Poser shader tree has issues with transparency. I'm lazy and don't want to fix everything after importing! :P

dstephany ( ) posted Tue, 20 May 2008 at 9:20 PM

well I dunno from what I hear from other people on here...it seems to work pretty well when its set up properly. I'm surprised to hear your having so many problems with it.

Kaji ( ) posted Tue, 20 May 2008 at 9:29 PM

file_406537.jpg

> Quote - well I dunno from what I hear from other people on here...it seems to work pretty well when its set up properly. I'm surprised to hear your having so many problems with it.

This is what it does to transparent objects on import. See the three cone helpers for the skirt?

Rutra ( ) posted Wed, 21 May 2008 at 3:27 AM

This topic of comparison between Poser shader tree versus SkinVue versus normal Vue material has come up in this forum several times. There's a thread where there are some visual comparisons, which could help to the decision, here:
http://www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/showthread.php?message_id=3172332&ebot_calc_page#message_3172332

I have Vista64 with 8GB of RAM so memory is not a problem but even so I do not use Poser shader tree. I really do not like how skin looks in the render. I always inject SkinVue in a 32 bit machine and then transport the object to Vista64.

As bruno021 said, SkinVue colapses some of the texture parts, which is perfect for adjusting the material properties. Instead of having to adjust those in 20 different texture parts, you only have to do it in one place.

So far, there are only two things with which I had some problems in SkinVue:
a) Eyes: in SkinVue I was never able to make them look right in extreme close-ups, like if you fill the screen with only the face (normal close-ups, half body, work fairly well). I still prefer native Vue for these extreme close-ups.
b) Extreme light conditions, with lots of ambient light and radiosity, like the environments of InteriorPak: the skin from SkinVue appears with some ugly spots (not radiosity spots, something else).

thefixer ( ) posted Wed, 21 May 2008 at 3:48 AM

*This is what it does to transparent objects on import. See the three cone helpers for the skirt?

*Not an issue I've ever seen with Poser imports and I always use the shader tree option due to having a 64 bit system and being unable to use SkinVue!!!

Injustice will be avenged.
Cofiwch Dryweryn.

Kaji ( ) posted Wed, 21 May 2008 at 7:02 AM

Quote - *This is what it does to transparent objects on import. See the three cone helpers for the skirt?

*Not an issue I've ever seen with Poser imports and I always use the shader tree option due to having a 64 bit system and being unable to use SkinVue!!!

Maybe just xStream flakiness. It always happens to me with Poser shader import.

Peggy_Walters ( ) posted Wed, 21 May 2008 at 8:18 AM

I always delete the helper cones after import.  You need to Split the object that has them, then you can select the cones and get rid of them.

LVS - Where Learning is Fun!  
http://www.lvsonline.com/index.html

dstephany ( ) posted Wed, 21 May 2008 at 10:22 AM

Well how about this then, lets say you were using SkinVue and selected the procedural skin mode, wouldn't that be essentially the same as importing a figure into Vue from Poser without selecting the Shader tree option and then saving it as a Vue object ?

FrankT ( ) posted Wed, 21 May 2008 at 1:42 PM

nope because when you import a figure from Poser, it comes with the texture maps whether or not you use the poser shader tree option.  Saving as a VOB (assuming you tick the include textures bit) will keep the maps with the figure.  You'd have to replace the maps yourself (or use the procedural conversion in SkinVue) to make them procedural.

My Freebies
Buy stuff on RedBubble

dstephany ( ) posted Wed, 21 May 2008 at 3:57 PM · edited Wed, 21 May 2008 at 3:59 PM

thats interesting...I didn't realize that. Just out of curosity, how do figures look using Skin Vue with just the procedural textures selected ? Is there a big difference in quality verses using regular texture maps ?

FrankT ( ) posted Wed, 21 May 2008 at 4:27 PM

I must admit I've never used procedural textures, I always use either the enhanced maps from SkinVue or (occasionally) just leave the skin as it is.  I'd imagine they look pretty good with the procedural ones - Dave is a bit of a node god in Vue :)

My Freebies
Buy stuff on RedBubble

dstephany ( ) posted Wed, 21 May 2008 at 6:22 PM

well tell me frank...what kind of system are you working with ??

FrankT ( ) posted Thu, 22 May 2008 at 2:21 AM

I'm running a Core2Duo with 2G of RAM and window XP 32bit

My Freebies
Buy stuff on RedBubble

dstephany ( ) posted Thu, 22 May 2008 at 10:15 AM

wow..really ?? Do you have much trouble loading Poser content usually ? Does it seem to slow Vue down alot or cause other problems ? Especially if you load several figures.

FrankT ( ) posted Thu, 22 May 2008 at 1:01 PM

I normally cheat if I'm going to be using more than one figure.  I reduce the size of the texture maps quite a bit which helps a lot but yes, Vue does slow down and I get resource warnings as well.  I don't usually get any problems with the import though.  It normally imports pretty easily

My Freebies
Buy stuff on RedBubble

ashley9803 ( ) posted Fri, 23 May 2008 at 8:19 AM

file_406700.jpg

Be aware that the skin will look completely different depending on the lighting conditions. These have identical SkinVue setup, but with different atmospheres loaded.

dstephany ( ) posted Fri, 23 May 2008 at 8:33 AM

wow..thats quite a difference. So...which one is which ? I'm assuming..one is using textures another is procedural and I don't know what the third is. Thanks for sharing that!

FrankT ( ) posted Fri, 23 May 2008 at 3:24 PM

I'd have said they were all enhanced - the atmosphere has been changed on each one though. 

My Freebies
Buy stuff on RedBubble

ashley9803 ( ) posted Fri, 23 May 2008 at 5:25 PM

"I'm assuming..one is using textures another is procedural and I don't know what the third is."

Each SkinVue set-up is exactly the same. All I did was change the atmosphere and re-render.

You will notice that the wet - oily look of the skin disappeared when the lighting became more ambient - indirect.
What this means is that you will need to tweak the SkinVue settings according to your lighting conditions until you get the effect you want. Which is easy to do.

stormchaser ( ) posted Sun, 25 May 2008 at 7:01 AM

I use neither Skin Vue or the shader tree. I  manipulate all textures myself in the editor, this can vary alot depending on my lights. Yeah, there can be a lot of editing but I don't mind.

dstephany ( ) posted Sun, 25 May 2008 at 7:45 PM

stormchaser- when you say you edit the textures alot, I'm just curious is that to get them to look right inside Vue or to scale them down to use up less resources or both ?

stormchaser ( ) posted Sun, 25 May 2008 at 8:00 PM

dstephany - If my resources are getting too low I will reduce my textures sizes in Photoshop.
Regarding editing my textures, I mean changing the variables inside Vue's editor. This could be bump, colour correction, highlights, transparencies, reflections etc. Basically I will change what needs changing to suit the lights & atmosphere in my scene. For example on skin textures I find they are too drab on import so I may increase or decrease specular depending on how much sunlight or ambient light is in the scene. Skin hightlighting changes I find are so important. SkinVue does this very quickly, my method takes longer but I don't mind as I'm always making changes as I go along.

Raindroptheelf ( ) posted Sat, 07 June 2008 at 6:59 PM

I am quite new still to Vue , I work with Vue6 Infinite.
Today I finally bought Skn Vue and so far I am quite happy with it so I am not sure exactley what I am doing lol.

I have used the Poser Shader Tree so far with no problem and great results but I never got a wet look done propperly and Skin Vue has some cool options.

I hope I will figure it all out eventually.

What really confuses me is the  Scenes , what do they do , do I have to select them and if so, do I do it first or can I do it last....

So many questions.

Petra

Sorry about my written English, I am German

MyCat ( ) posted Sat, 07 June 2008 at 10:01 PM

TheFixer: I have a 64 bit system and still I use Skin Vue. The Vue license allows you to install Vue on two systems as long as you don't use it at the same time on both. I installed my second copy on a 32 bit system. Conveniently, the Poser license is similar. I set up the character on the 32 bit machine, then use it on the 64 bit one.

Tguyus ( ) posted Thu, 26 June 2008 at 10:09 PM

I've just migrated to V6I and bought SkinVue.  Love them both.  Here's a useful discovery I'll pass along:  you can edit the SkinVue plugin for your figures so that the textures of props parented to your figure are also converted to Vue materials you have saved in your SkinVvue material library.  So, for example, I've edited the SkinVue script I use for my V2 figures so gold jewelry is automatically converted to a Vue gold material.  cheers...

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.