Thu, Sep 19, 10:42 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 9:52 pm)

Subject: Confused newbie asks about morphing and clothing

DoomsdayRenderer ( ) posted Tue, 27 May 2008 at 5:30 AM · edited Thu, 19 September 2024 at 8:07 PM

I have a problem: when I have Vicki 4.2 for example, I can buy clothes for her. But when I apply new character to Vicki, clothes do not fit any more. Now I understand that there are applications which adjust the clothes to fit morphed characters or even different meshes (i.e. Aiko 3's clothes to Vicki 4.2 for example).

I tried to find some unbiased opinions about these tools. There is quite a lot discussion about these. However I can't decipher what is the best application or should I buy several or ...

I own several good modelers, but making the morphing manually doesn't seem to be very easy or effective according to web tutorials. 

Now, what I'm asking: what are the easiest, fastest and/or (quality-wise) best methods to morph/conform clothes to characters?

Please advise a eternally confused Poser newbie...

jonthecelt ( ) posted Tue, 27 May 2008 at 5:48 AM

Two best methods in this instance (as far as I'm concerned) would be:

1. buy the morph magnet sets by (I think) Netherworkis, available at DAZ. These are only for specific characters, and can be time consuming if you've used a lot of dials in your character's creation. Basically, you add a set of magnets to the clothing which help it to adjut shape to your character. AS I said, though, these are character specific - V4's magnets only work on V4 clothing, and not on any other characters - so they are not going to work when trying to fit a piece of clothing to A3, for example.  So...

2. Buy Wardrobe Wizard 2, by PhilC. This works incredibly well at taking clothes designed for pretty much any character, and converting them over to another character of your choice. Note here that you do need to have the relevant data for the converting character, purchased in data packs from PhilC (at one point these were given free, but I don't know what the costs are now). It's a much more versatile tool, and is probably the best of the converters out there.

So in the end, it depends whether you're aim is to convert clothing only one specific character (all of V4.2's wardrobe to a specific V4 character you're using, for example) or convert from a wide range to a wide range of characters. Personally, just beause yuo never know what you're going to be using in the future, I'd recommend Wardrobe Wizard even if your scope is at present a little smaller - his customer service is excellent, and it's such a versatile program.

JonTheCelt

Dajadues ( ) posted Tue, 27 May 2008 at 5:50 AM · edited Tue, 27 May 2008 at 5:51 AM

You trying to rig??? Try Daz3D. They have programs for that.

DoomsdayRenderer ( ) posted Tue, 27 May 2008 at 5:58 AM

@jonthecelt: Does this Wardrobe Wizard need data pack for each morphed character to work? Seems complicated and costly (I have many, many characters bought from here and elsewhere).

@Dajadues: No, rigging in Poser is too complicated for me... I think. (In Blender I can do it.)

Does anybody have an opinion about Clothes Converter or Morphing Clothes? These seem to do something like what I want to do, but because I'm convinced that HERE are the experts, I wouldn't presume to know.

jonthecelt ( ) posted Tue, 27 May 2008 at 9:27 AM

Attached Link: PhilC's Website

Clothes Converter is, I believe, only applicable to the DAZ gen 3 figures - V3, M3, Aiko3, David 3, Hiro, Stephnaie Petite 3. Unless you're using those figures, then it's of no use to you (if I recall correctly).

Crossdresser works in much the same way as Wardrobe Wizard... it's free to convert FROM a given figure, but in order to convert TO a figure, you have to buy the licence specific to that figure. I'm not sure how it copes with morphed characters, either.

Wardrobe Wizard is, to be the of my knowledge (and I'm very happy for anyone else to prove me wrong) the only clothes converter which will convert to a morphed figure. The data packs arent' for individual figures, but are rather for groups - there are several in each data pack. For further ifnormation, I strongly recommend heading over to PhilC's webiste (linked above)and having a closer look.

JonTheCelt

IsaoShi ( ) posted Tue, 27 May 2008 at 9:36 AM

I have a sort of related question, if you don't mind me asking here?

If the clothes share the same mesh as the figure they are supposed to conform to, is it not possible to just inject (or edit in) the same morphs that the parent figure uses for a specific character? Then crosstalk should do the rest - Yes? No?

(I'm a real newbie - I don't even know what 'rigging' means!)

"If I were a shadow, I know I wouldn't like to be half of what I should be."
Mr Otsuka, the old black tomcat in Kafka on the Shore (Haruki Murakami)

jfbeute ( ) posted Tue, 27 May 2008 at 10:06 AM

Clothing would not normally use the same mesh. This would only work for extremely close fitting items and those are better made with texture maps (clothim/clother). So this options will not work.

IsaoShi ( ) posted Tue, 27 May 2008 at 11:28 AM

I understand, jfbeute, thank you.. well it was worth a try...
Sorry to butt in on this thread.
Awesome tusks.

DoomsdayRenderer ( ) posted Tue, 27 May 2008 at 12:51 PM

file_407012.jpg

At least some solution found!

I bought Morphing Clothes sw from Rosity store. It transfers the morphs from character to cloth.

Here's my newbie five minute result.

IsaoShi ( ) posted Tue, 27 May 2008 at 1:28 PM

Aha! That seems to do exactly what I was thinking should be possible - I just asked the wrong question. Thanks for the pointer, DR. 
now let me see... lipstick... biro... moisturiser... biro... bank statement... biro... thingy... biro... ah, here we go, a $20 note.

Booker5 ( ) posted Tue, 27 May 2008 at 8:33 PM

DoomsdayRenderer,

Can you tell me exactly what you bought here that you used to produce the results in the picture you posted?

Thanks!

DoomsdayRenderer ( ) posted Wed, 28 May 2008 at 12:28 AM

Booker5, because I'm not competely sure what you asked, here is about everything:

Software for transferring morphs:
Morphing Clothes by Dimension3D (Renderosity store)

Models:
Victoria 4.2 by DAZ (DAZ store)
Tanya by Rhiannon (Renderosity store)
Double Helix Dress for V4 by Paul J. Zanca (Renderosity freestuff)

Compiled and rendered in Poser 7.

pjz99 ( ) posted Wed, 28 May 2008 at 2:46 AM

Yeah as you have figured out, probably the easiest and least time-consuming way to get clothes to fit is to just use some third party clothes convert.  The tool by Dimension3D seems to be a new one, and based on experience with other tools Rolf has done I think you have spent your money wisely.  Phil Cooke's Wardrobe Wizard and EvilInnocence's CrossDresser are also very good options that do similar functions, although with different options and possibly some different results here and there.

side note, I'm kind of surprised that dress has been popular (that's my model) - I didn't really think it came out all that well.  Glad you're enjoing it anyhow :)

My Freebies

DoomsdayRenderer ( ) posted Wed, 28 May 2008 at 4:08 AM

Maybe I need to experiment a bit more... There are so many options. Oh to have time for all and everything...

@pjz99: As a side note to side note, I think it's very nice dress! I'm just a newbie, so maybe these power-users here can get even more quality renders out of it... You have a artistic gifts in design.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.