Wed, Sep 18, 6:51 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Bryce

Welcome to the Bryce Forum

Forum Moderators: TheBryster

Bryce F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 28 6:28 pm)

[Gallery]     [Tutorials]

THE PLACE FOR ALL THINGS BRYCE - GOT A PROBLEM? YOU'VE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE

Subject: OT-Windows 7 Touch-Screen Tech to be out 2009

Quest ( ) posted Wed, 28 May 2008 at 11:16 AM · edited Thu, 05 September 2024 at 2:51 PM

Attached Link: AP-Windows 7

Windows 7 to be out by 2009 features touch-screen technology...boy, the future is coming fast! Funny how Billy Gates can afford to joke about the short comings of Vista.

Quest

RodsArt ( ) posted Wed, 28 May 2008 at 12:46 PM

Thanks Quest

Probably something similar to this.......

http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/view/id/65

___
Ockham's razor- It's that simple

Quest ( ) posted Wed, 28 May 2008 at 3:42 PM

Attached Link: Microsoft Windows 7

That’s just incredible! Makes me feel like I want to throw my mouse and keyboard away right now. Thanks for that link, here’s one I found for the Microsoft surface demo (link below). The link at top is for the proposed Windows 7.

Microsoft surface

RodsArt ( ) posted Wed, 28 May 2008 at 9:58 PM

Yeah....I'm drooling already!!

___

Xerxes0002 ( ) posted Thu, 29 May 2008 at 12:01 PM

Of course with OS X in the Iphone OS X has had MultiTouch since 2007 now of course to release a computer screen connection.  It is very cool and hopefully MS will not overlook little things like a spell checker system wide!

Running Vista 64 here currently.

Quest ( ) posted Thu, 29 May 2008 at 5:22 PM

file_407191.gif

"Gates said he has never been 100 percent satisfied with any Microsoft product, and that the company prides itself on fixing shortcomings in later versions."Vista has given more opportunity to exercise our culture than some products," he deadpanned."

From the AP article above.

I've never heard anyone from Mac boasting such a claim!

Analog-X64 ( ) posted Thu, 29 May 2008 at 7:44 PM

Next version of Windows will be a good new phase for Microsoft.

Quest ( ) posted Thu, 29 May 2008 at 9:38 PM · edited Thu, 29 May 2008 at 9:52 PM

I would certainly hope so Analog-X, and I mean this with all sincerity. God knows they’ve had more than enough time to hone their skills while charging exorbitant prices and having the gull to be testing their product on the “culture” and should finally be getting something right once and for all. I mean their due...aren't they? Let’s see, they’ve been doing this for how long now? Well, let’s see…November 20, 1985 was the first retail release of Microsoft Windows. That’s 23 years in the making and they’re not done yet! That’s what I call a public hosing!

I’m not talking about developing an OS to end all OS’s…I’m just talking about one OS that is stable and works without glitches, hiccups, security leaks and crashes.

Yes, perhaps after long last Mac and Linux users can start coming back to Microsoft in droves. Now wouldn’t that make Billy boy smile? ;)

Rayraz ( ) posted Fri, 30 May 2008 at 5:34 AM

There's nothing really new about that...
There have been both desktops and laptops with touch screens around for many years! And there have been various very useful applications for them too.
Then there's ofcourse the touch-screen driven windows mobile devices. The only difference this time is that the interaction design is no longer only focussed on operation with a mouse, pen, or keyboard.

But then again, a lot of the newer stuff from microsoft, such as windows media center for instance, already has an interface perfectly fit to be operated by the touch of a finger.
The only slightly new-ish thing is the support for multi-point touch technology. It's similar to the touch screen/table thingy m$ released numerous months ago, and the features praised for windows 7, are just ported over from that touch screen/table... so its not really truely new either.

And then there's ofcourse apple who have been working on such screens for many years and iphone and ipod touch are operated with touch screens also for about a year now. HTC (Qtek) also has a smart phone with touch screen.

It's all nice and such, i'm not gunna bash the potential usefulness of this technology in certain situations, but for m$ to say its really a new development of m$ is basically just bullshit. And besides that, its still a feature thats utterly useless to most windows user out there, because almost no one has a touch screen...

There are much more important matters to be fixed. For one, the interface could seriously use some de-cluttering, that really should be a prime objective in my opinion. Then there should be some serious debugging on the new networking that has been introduced in Vista. They should make an IE8 that actually executes html and css correctly (i know the current beta of IE8 is better then IE7, but its still not satisfactory). They should update file previewing to get on par with apple. They should finally introduce multiple desktops (i mean seriously, that feature is at LEAST a decade overdue). And then there's a bunch of features they've supposedly been working on since windows 2000, yet still havent reached the market! They also should introduce updates and installations that dont require you to reboot as often as they do now. And they should work on making OOXML standard-worthy.

(_/)
(='.'=)
(")
(")This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Rochr ( ) posted Fri, 30 May 2008 at 4:05 PM · edited Fri, 30 May 2008 at 4:06 PM

Beeing one of many people totally despising Vista, i really can´t say i like what they´re planning for Windows7. From what i´ve read about it so far it looks like it´s going to be even more miserable then Vista.
If they really need to fill the OS up with toys that´s fine, but for once i wish they could release a stripped version with only the absolutely necessary features for it to run for the rest of us.

I seriously doubt MS will ever release an OS that´s up to par with XP. At least not in my lifetime.

Rudolf Herczog
Digital Artist
www.rochr.com

RodsArt ( ) posted Fri, 30 May 2008 at 4:25 PM

---XP on the workstation--- No complaints

---Vista on the secondary for Online stuff--- too much to list, oy!

___

pakled ( ) posted Sat, 31 May 2008 at 7:13 PM

wonder if they can have an LCARS skin (Star Trek controls...;) Hey, I'm just trying to firm up my geek cred here..;)

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

bikermouse ( ) posted Sun, 01 June 2008 at 9:16 PM

well, I guess i better start stocking up on Windex then.  Good Idea but it should have been out YEARS ago. 

Rayraz ( ) posted Wed, 04 June 2008 at 12:17 PM

ups pakleds geek cred

Its not like vista is THAT bad really.. dont forget XP has had MANY years of bugfixing, troubleshooting, and a total of 3 service packs, each of which introduced significant structural updates.
Vista has just barely reached its first service pack, has had a lot shorter life, and it has undergone some heavy technical treatment since XP. The only reason it took so damn long to come out is because a LOT had to be done and it wasnt a top priority gig at m$ at all, in fact even updating winXP had higher priority thanx to microsoft attempting to be more service-oriented.

Vista is a bit like laundry, its had a thourough cleaning, but it came out wrinkly from all the cleaning and still needs some ironing out...
The real problem with vista on the user-experience end is that it was much more of a technical release then a feature-oriented release. Meaning that, while it has undergone significant changes under the hood, it doesnt have many new "in-your-face" features.
Some of the technical changes have caused some instability issues in specific situations, yet work great in other situations. Running vista on an old pc could give you a lot of headaches, but newer systems designed to operate with vista usually work pretty smoothly for the every-day user.
A number of technical changes have also affected lazy developers. Vista demands developers to work clean and use current-day standards. These changes have been around in XP also, but XP would still offer more backward compatibility. At some point it makes sense to dump old crap in favour of security and stability and to force developers to adopt more up-to-date standards. It just doesnt appeal much to the end-user if this means their favourite program(s) no longer work(s).

What windows 7 should focus on in order to be succesful is providing new user-end features and improvements. It's obviously still neccesary to do some more debugging on the technical side of things, but after having seen few impressive new usability features in vista we need to see visible updates. Note how almost all my suggested updates in my previous posts strongly apply to the user-end of the operating system.

Windows 7 can put Vista's wrongs right again, but it really depends on the choises made at M$.

(_/)
(='.'=)
(")
(")This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.