Tue, Oct 22, 3:51 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Vue

Welcome to the Vue Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, TheBryster

Vue F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 17 8:34 am)

Subject: Help me with my displacements!

Xpleet ( ) posted Wed, 02 July 2008 at 9:19 PM · edited Tue, 22 October 2024 at 1:01 AM

Hi all,

is it just not possible to make high quality Displacements/Fractals (for closeup) or am I missing something?
When I make something like rounded line patterns and use them for displacement especially then they get extremely edgy and low rez looking.

How do I make procedurals for closeup that are really highdef?

thx in advance

Monsoon ( ) posted Thu, 03 July 2008 at 9:12 AM

First of all it depends on what you are placing the displacements on.  Is it a terrain, primitive or imported object. Terrains and imports take a bit more doing....

From my experience, many times you have to decrease the displacement in order for it to look good.... If I have a bump map that looks great at +1.500, then I would lower it to +0.500 for displacement.

There is the quality slider to the right of the displacement check box.....try different settings there.

For polygon objects, I've discovered that there is sometimes a difference depending on what modeler you used. Too much displacement will blow your polys apart....at times I've had to put displacement really low for it to look good on the model...

Xpleet ( ) posted Thu, 03 July 2008 at 1:25 PM

Quote - First of all it depends on what you are placing the displacements on.  Is it a terrain, primitive or imported object. Terrains and imports take a bit more doing....

There is the quality slider to the right of the displacement check box.....try different settings there.

Jeez I can't believe I overlooked the quality slider...yes it works now, with very high-poly displacement indeed. What a shame.

What I do is sculpting objects from C4D to a pretty rough shape and displace them in Vue deeply. Your rockset kinda inspired me to do my own :D

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.