Fri, Sep 20, 1:29 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Vue

Welcome to the Vue Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, TheBryster

Vue F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 17 9:46 am)

Subject: Can Someone Please Help

BrokenWings ( ) posted Wed, 30 July 2008 at 8:00 AM · edited Fri, 20 September 2024 at 1:25 AM

Can someone tell me which render setting in Vue Esprit 6 will give the picture a real look and softness? I want the scene to look like a photograph.

Peggy_Walters ( ) posted Wed, 30 July 2008 at 9:13 AM

http://www.sharecg.com/v/23774/tutorial/Vue-6-Infinite-Render-Settings

For realism, lighting is the critical component.  Use soft shadows and reduce the shadow density. 

LVS - Where Learning is Fun!  
http://www.lvsonline.com/index.html

BrokenWings ( ) posted Wed, 30 July 2008 at 9:15 AM

Thank you very much.

silverblade33 ( ) posted Wed, 30 July 2008 at 11:36 AM

My lighting tutorial may help, too :)

http://www.silverblades-suitcase.com/tutorials/htm/22.html

"I'd rather be a Fool who believes in Dragons, Than a King who believes in Nothing!" www.silverblades-suitcase.com
Free tutorials, Vue & Bryce materials, Bryce Skies, models, D&D items, stories.
Tutorials on Poser imports to Vue/Bryce, Postwork, Vue rendering/lighting, etc etc!

crocodilian ( ) posted Wed, 30 July 2008 at 12:06 PM · edited Wed, 30 July 2008 at 12:08 PM

Attached Link: http://www.debevec.org/Research/IBL/

> Quote - Can someone tell me which render setting in Vue Esprit 6 will give the picture a real look and softness? I want the scene to look like a photograph.

One question to ask is: "What kind of photograph?"

There's a tendency to think of "real" world lighting as being "all the same -- its just real". But the hard shadows of a sunny day in Arizona are very different from the very soft interior light of an overcast day in Seattle

In general, the difference between CG lighting and real world lighting has been the low dynamic range of the CG environment (meaning the distance from the brightest brights to the darkest darks in a scene).

The guy who did something about this was a graphics researcher named Paul Debevec-- he pioneered a lot of High Dynamic range technology. The fastest, easiest way to make your Vue scene look real is to use the HDR atmosphere-- its not perfect, but you'll get "very good" very easily. I've attached a link to some of his early work which describes pretty much the problem that you've got "how do I make a rendered image match a photograph". Vue has an excellent and simple HDR lighting mode (just load the HDR atmosphere to get started).

BrokenWings ( ) posted Wed, 30 July 2008 at 2:27 PM

Thank you so much. It is actually an outdoors scene, a beach, a sunset and Poser characters.

crocodilian ( ) posted Thu, 31 July 2008 at 2:46 AM · edited Thu, 31 July 2008 at 2:46 AM

Quote - Thank you so much. It is actually an outdoors scene, a beach, a sunset and Poser characters.

That's an ideal scenario for HDR lighting.

Actually, if you have Poser, you probably already have a very good lightprobe to use-- look in the Poser HDR VFX  or Image based lighting Lights folder . . . there is a "lagoon" lighting rig, I think . . . the image that's being used there is a beach scene, and you can load it into the environment map in Vue

BrokenWings ( ) posted Thu, 31 July 2008 at 7:32 AM

How do you load a light scene from Poser to Vue, I have never done that? I am still new at Vue.

crocodilian ( ) posted Thu, 31 July 2008 at 8:38 AM · edited Thu, 31 July 2008 at 8:45 AM

file_410875.jpg

> Quote - How do you load a light scene from Poser to Vue, I have never done that? I am still new at Vue.

The idea here is that you're using a picture of the background to light the scene-- not individual lights. That's part of the HDR technology idea, its called "image based illumination" (or "IBL" for short).  If you think about a person walking outside on a sunny day, he's being lit by "everything".  HDR lighting is a special kind of picture that works very well for lighting scenes.. What I was saying is that Poser had one of these pictures of a beach scene, as I recall.

For starters, you need to get your scene set up for this in Vue so: import your Poser scene into Vue, and set it up with the "stock" Vue HDR illumination.

You can do this from the "Atmosphere" top menu-- its under Effects:Others. Do a render with the default Vue settings . . . once you've got that working, you can move on to swapping in other lighting environments

Don't be surprised if your first render comes out with the characters looking a little dark-- that's what photos of a real person ourdoors on a sunny day look like -- using this technique, you usually need to add a little "fill"light, just like you would in a real photograph

BrokenWings ( ) posted Thu, 31 July 2008 at 2:34 PM

Thank you. I will try that. :)

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.