Sat, Oct 5, 7:25 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 05 5:47 am)

Subject: Why?

heli232 ( ) posted Fri, 08 August 2008 at 8:02 AM · edited Sat, 05 October 2024 at 7:24 AM

file_411312.jpg

(click for full view) This is a wheel from a byke.  It should look like  on the left, but when I add a figure and light the render looks like on the right. Why? Any idea?

DarkEdge ( ) posted Fri, 08 August 2008 at 8:11 AM

You need to split your verts (uv mapper)

Comitted to excellence through art.

Plutom ( ) posted Fri, 08 August 2008 at 8:17 AM

Try unclicking the smoothing function in your final rendering settings. 

I assume its the blooming of the wheel spokes that you don't like.  It's possible that when you imported the figure, it activated the smoothing function in your final rendering. --Jan

Kuladen ( ) posted Fri, 08 August 2008 at 8:51 AM

+1 on the smooth polygons in the render settings.  Thats what it looks like to me.  I had the same thing happen to a bow string and turning the smoothing off fixed it.  You can turn smoothing off for the entire scene or just for the parts that are giving you problems.

markschum ( ) posted Fri, 08 August 2008 at 9:03 AM

if you modelled the wheel , delete the ends of the cylinders that make the spokes . a cylinder without an endcap wont bulge because of smoothing. Unwelding(split vertex) will do the same thing .

heli232 ( ) posted Fri, 08 August 2008 at 9:37 AM

Thanks, smoothing off did the job.
But a following question to Kuladen ("You can turn smoothing off for the entire scene or just for the parts that are giving you problems.") How this can be done, smoothing is just a checkbox in the render settings?

Kuladen ( ) posted Fri, 08 August 2008 at 9:53 AM

Ont he properties window for the object, you will see the parameters tab and the properties tab.  Click on the properties tab and there will be a checkbox for Smooth Polygons.  Uncheck that box and it will turn off smoothing for that object only.

heli232 ( ) posted Fri, 08 August 2008 at 9:58 AM

Thanks.

ockham ( ) posted Fri, 08 August 2008 at 10:05 AM

You can also insure that a prop or figure will always be unsmoothed,
so you won't have to be surprised by the bulging cylinders each time!
Go through the PP2 or CR2 file and change each

smoothPolys 1

to

smoothPolys 0

If the file is older than Poser 6, it won't have the smoothPolys line,
but  you can still add

smoothPolys 0

to the file.  Insert it after each "customMaterial" line.

My python page
My ShareCG freebies

dbowers22 ( ) posted Fri, 08 August 2008 at 10:37 AM

Just FYI, you can also decrease the crease angle and it has the same effect.
(The box just under smooth polygons in the properties window.)
I had a shotgun prop that bloomed like that on the barrel.  But I didn't want
to disable smoothing entirely, so just playing around I was able to get suitable
results by setting the crease angle from the default of 80 down to 5.
That way I still had some smoothing on the stock, but the barrel didn't
look weird.

Note: you need to leave Smooth polygons checked for this to work.

Conniekat8 ( ) posted Fri, 15 August 2008 at 8:12 PM

I've been trying to set up different smoothing groups - the way the poser manual says, in order to create creases, and darn Poser appears to be ignoring them. Arrrgh!

Is it possible to have different smoothing angles on a prop... or do i need to split the prop in several items, then parent them to one another to have different smoothing angles?

Hi, my namez: "NO, Bad Kitteh, NO!"  Whaz yurs?
BadKittehCo Store  BadKittehCo Freebies and product support

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.