Sun, Sep 22, 9:32 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 22 2:04 am)

Subject: My renders look crisp in Poser, but when I save them the images look pixelated.

alltheoriginalnames ( ) posted Fri, 15 August 2008 at 10:03 PM · edited Sun, 22 September 2024 at 9:31 AM

I have Poser 7, and when I render the images look clean and crisp. I save by export then image, I choose jpeg then save. I keep the compression at 75, which I'm told doesn't really affect much unless your printing. But when I view the saved render in my pictures folder it's slightly pixelated, and this has been happening for as long as I can remember. I just don't get it, the finished render looks fine in Poser. Any help would be greatly appreciated, I'm not that knowledgable with the technical aspects of Poser

schtumpy ( ) posted Fri, 15 August 2008 at 10:05 PM

Save as a .png, That's a lossless format and looks super when you get it all done.  The file is a little bit bigger, but not so much that it's a problem.

kuroyume0161 ( ) posted Fri, 15 August 2008 at 10:31 PM

Isn't there a bug in Poser 7 which constantly sets the jpeg compression to something low like 10%?  Have you applied SRs?

As schtumpy said, you can save as a lossless format such as bmp, png, or tif and always convert to jpg in some other applications (PSP, PhotoShop, et al).

C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot. C++ makes it harder, but when you do, you blow your whole leg off.

-- Bjarne Stroustrup

Contact Me | Kuroyume's DevelopmentZone

Conniekat8 ( ) posted Fri, 15 August 2008 at 10:32 PM

Quote - I have Poser 7, and when I render the images look clean and crisp. I save by export then image, I choose jpeg then save. I keep the compression at 75, which I'm told doesn't really affect much unless your printing. But when I view the saved render in my pictures folder it's slightly pixelated, and this has been happening for as long as I can remember. I just don't get it, the finished render looks fine in Poser. Any help would be greatly appreciated, I'm not that knowledgable with the technical aspects of Poser

Compression on JPG does affect things if it's set too low.  Poser appears to have very aggressive compression, and 75 is way too low. IMO, it sort of butchers the image.

Personally, for a compressed JPG out of poser, one suitable for online use, I use compression of 98 or 99.

In photoshop, OTOH I use level 8 or 9 (out of 12) for similar results. Unlike Poser, in Photosop you can go to a pretty low setting without butchering the image.  Yes, not all jpg compression algorithms are created the same. Go figure.

Hi, my namez: "NO, Bad Kitteh, NO!"  Whaz yurs?
BadKittehCo Store  BadKittehCo Freebies and product support

BAR-CODE ( ) posted Sat, 16 August 2008 at 7:15 AM

use JPG No compression or save as BMP ..and rescale in Photoshop or GIMP...
Beter stronger faster... euh ow ok that was the 6 million dollar man..my bad.. 😉

Chris

IF YOU WANT TO CONTACT BAR-CODE SENT A  PM to 26FAHRENHEIT  "same person"

Chris

My Free Stuff

alltheoriginalnames ( ) posted Sat, 16 August 2008 at 8:00 AM

Thank you all very much , seems to be helping saving it as a png. I don't know when I started saving as jpeg but that was definitely when my problems started for some reason. The png is as crisp as the render on Poser, for some reason it still takes a hit if I convert it to jpeg in photoshop but thats a different story. I tried altereing the compression when saving as a jpeg and it didn't help much, for me anyways. So ubtill I figure out the huge loss on resolution on my computer with saving as jpeg I'll just save as png. Png files are alot bigger though, you guys are right lol. Thanks again, and any more help on why saving as a jpeg suddenly craped out on me would be greatly appreciated.

Acadia ( ) posted Sat, 16 August 2008 at 8:22 AM

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/tutorial/index.php?tutorial_id=1570&page=1

Try the above tutorial. It's an adaption of the technique that I use in Paint Shop Pro.

Personally Paint Shop Pro does a better job in this department because you can actually control the amount of compression to a larger degree. If you do happen to have Paint Shop Pro, here is my method of saving and / or resizing images without losing image quality:

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/showthread.php?thread_id=2678201

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi

BAR-CODE ( ) posted Sat, 16 August 2008 at 10:53 AM

when you save them in Photoshop and you want to upload them somewere
the SAVE for WEB !!
that way you can adjust the compression perfectly to get just in the 500k limit.. and it still looks good...

IF YOU WANT TO CONTACT BAR-CODE SENT A  PM to 26FAHRENHEIT  "same person"

Chris

My Free Stuff

alltheoriginalnames ( ) posted Sat, 16 August 2008 at 11:24 AM

Most definitely, thats what I choose is "Save for Web" It's ggod because I'm always over the Rosity limit lol so I can adjust easily with the slider

glassfairy ( ) posted Tue, 19 August 2008 at 4:54 PM

r u able to import the poser files into maya without any issues?..if so how...plz tell i get the error err findplug color when tryin it.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.