Mon, Oct 21, 11:38 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Vue

Welcome to the Vue Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, TheBryster

Vue F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 17 8:34 am)

Subject: Getting rid of interpolation?

Xpleet ( ) posted Tue, 19 August 2008 at 6:38 PM · edited Mon, 21 October 2024 at 11:32 PM

I don't know if you see it, I can since I'm on my '24tft and it's quite nasty, it's happening with skies, underwater colorshifts and so on.

Check this one for example, http://rocky1990.deviantart.com/art/more-water-95394619 horrible lines in onion shape, and yet no chance to get rid of em?

Rutra ( ) posted Wed, 20 August 2008 at 2:42 AM

In some circumstances banding happens.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_banding
http://www.photoshopgurus.com/forum/quick-tips-techniques/121-succesfully-removing-banding.html

garyandcatherine ( ) posted Wed, 20 August 2008 at 5:43 AM

I can see how that will happen.  However there is always a quick fix for it.  First is postwork it in Photoshop or whatever program you use.  Just grab a blur brush and paint over the areas to smooth/blend them together.  Second would be to use the link info that Rutra was so kind to include.

Rutra ( ) posted Wed, 20 August 2008 at 8:40 AM · edited Wed, 20 August 2008 at 8:43 AM

I was thinking...
If one of the more common solutions for banding in postwork is noise addition, maybe this can be done in Vue as well. My idea is: instead of having one solid color for your water, why not have a color map where the left and right colors are only slightly different, and drive this color map with a thin noise node? Maybe this would do the trick... At least, the principle is the same, so theoretically it should work (I think...).

Anyway, it's easy to try. Let us know if it solved the problem.

Xpleet ( ) posted Wed, 20 August 2008 at 9:32 AM

Quote - I was thinking...
If one of the more common solutions for banding in postwork is noise addition, maybe this can be done in Vue as well. My idea is: instead of having one solid color for your water, why not have a color map where the left and right colors are only slightly different, and drive this color map with a thin noise node? Maybe this would do the trick... At least, the principle is the same, so theoretically it should work (I think...).

Anyway, it's easy to try. Let us know if it solved the problem.

Prolem is, that the color is pretty much sun and depth-driven cause it was translucent water there.

Thanks tho i will try out that link and apply those techniques.

Rutra ( ) posted Wed, 20 August 2008 at 10:05 AM

Quote - *"Prolem is, that the color is pretty much sun and depth-driven cause it was translucent water there."

*I thought so, it was looking too good to be "normal" water. :-)
But what I say can still be applied, it doesn't matter if it's translucent or not. The material has a base color, in the "Color & Alpha" tab, which greatly influences the overall color of the water. This is where I proposed to apply the color map, in the base color. And, of course, the noise node would be applied in the color function, just next to it.

Xpleet ( ) posted Wed, 20 August 2008 at 11:25 AM

hmm i also thought Z-depth or other G-Buffer features could help this out but they don't :/ , i guess there is no way to render in a higher colordepth.

Sethren ( ) posted Wed, 20 August 2008 at 5:21 PM

This makes no sense, i thought internally that Vue works in 32bit so there should be no color banding period. Color bands even disappear at 16bit using the most smooth color gradients as examples. You should be rendering at a 32bit depth on default.

Xpleet ( ) posted Wed, 20 August 2008 at 5:32 PM

Vue doesn't render in 32 bit it seems, also PNG that has 24bit possibility is only 16bit exportable in Vue, quite evidential?

chippwalters ( ) posted Wed, 20 August 2008 at 9:23 PM

Quote - Vue doesn't render in 32 bit it seems, also PNG that has 24bit possibility is only 16bit exportable in Vue, quite evidential?

Then how do you explain Vue being able to output HDRI files?

Xpleet ( ) posted Thu, 21 August 2008 at 6:45 AM

Quote - > Quote - Vue doesn't render in 32 bit it seems, also PNG that has 24bit possibility is only 16bit exportable in Vue, quite evidential?

Then how do you explain Vue being able to output HDRI files?

Hm perhaps you could just tell me what I am doing wrong?

Sethren ( ) posted Thu, 21 August 2008 at 4:45 PM

Is e-on support any help? Also have you posted this issue at the e-on cornucopia forums? I wish i could tell you what the issue is but this is an odd one to figure out.

chippwalters ( ) posted Fri, 22 August 2008 at 12:36 AM · edited Fri, 22 August 2008 at 12:37 AM

Output as .hdr then open in Photoshop CS and adjust exposure. Then resample down to 24 bit (8 bits per pixel).

OR

Output as 16-bit TIFF and do the same.

Xpleet ( ) posted Fri, 22 August 2008 at 11:12 AM · edited Fri, 22 August 2008 at 11:13 AM

Quote - Output as .hdr then open in Photoshop CS and adjust exposure. Then resample down to 24 bit (8 bits per pixel).

OR

Output as 16-bit TIFF and do the same.

Oh did I forget to mention that it is already interpolated in the renderwindow...?

Normally texture-aa handles this but since this is atmosphere/water gradient related no help there.

I could very well imagine that many monitors can't even display this.

chippwalters ( ) posted Fri, 22 August 2008 at 11:57 AM · edited Fri, 22 August 2008 at 11:59 AM

The monitor screen is only capable of displaying 8 bits each for R, G and B values. So even if the image is created in a higher bit depth, it will only display in 24 bits. So, Vue's internal representation is much higher than what you see displayed-- that is why many post effects are better done in Vue.

Photoshop can apply dithering to high bit depth (>24) images to repair any visible banding-- I'm not sure, but it might do this automatically with 16-bit per channel images (TIFF). That is why I suggested opening the image in Photoshop.

Rutra ( ) posted Fri, 22 August 2008 at 1:38 PM

I still think my proposed solution could work, from within Vue...

chippwalters ( ) posted Sat, 23 August 2008 at 1:32 PM

Rutra,
Might take some testing and tweaking, but, I think it probably would work.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.