Thu, Sep 19, 4:23 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Community Center

Welcome to the Community Center Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Community Center F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 4:15 pm)

Forum news, updates, events, etc. Please sitemail any notices or questions for the staff to the Forum Moderators.

Subject: Site Hacked?

originalkitten ( ) posted Thu, 21 August 2008 at 8:04 PM

Lmao Deb don't worry I just wanted to make sure it wasn't part of the hack... I've done that so many times myself lmao....glad to know I'm not the only one....
have a great night
hugs
Lou x

"I didn't lose my mind, it was mine to give away"

AnnieD ( ) posted Thu, 21 August 2008 at 8:05 PM

Ok...lol   that explains why I just got one too....reaches over and pinches Deb

“For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible.”

[Stuart Chase]

AnnieD ( ) posted Thu, 21 August 2008 at 8:10 PM

Quote - Thank you so much for that, AnnieD...

I never knew of this java cache feature. :m_shocked:

But damn, now I'm going to have keep calling my bank to see if my recent rendo purchase info is being used to take money from my account. I did delete those viruses this morning before purchasing, but didn't know anything about deleting the cache stuff that may have been associated with the java activity I saw last night.

I effing hate this kind of thing.

You are welcome Angelsinger.  I found out the hard way..years ago. 
Now I have to figure out why the forum pages are completely out of whack and stretching across and off the screen..the posting section is ok...so off I go to check it out.
Jeeze...I don't get the ads that follow you...I didn't run into the hacker stuff..i thought everything was ok on my end and I missed out on it..now this...lol

“For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible.”

[Stuart Chase]

Debbie M. ( ) posted Thu, 21 August 2008 at 8:12 PM

Thanks for understanding, and once again, I'm really sorry for the false alarm.  I could have at least typed something nice in there to send you all huh?

deb still hanging head in shame

Debbie M.

AnnieD ( ) posted Thu, 21 August 2008 at 8:16 PM

Get ready Deb...everyone that got one is going to post to ask why...lol

[Stuart Chase]

Debbie M. ( ) posted Thu, 21 August 2008 at 8:18 PM

I'm already paying for it by responding to the tons of emails coming in :crying:

Debbie M.

Wonga ( ) posted Thu, 21 August 2008 at 8:18 PM

are all personal details secure?

also got that blank email ;)

Find my Facebook Page Here -- or me on Twitter

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Thu, 21 August 2008 at 8:20 PM

o.k., thx to y'all for fixing that trojan.

p.s. for those interested in poser history, jack k. owned this site prior to tim,
and jack is one of the main reasons poser is so popular on the internet now.

Debbie M. ( ) posted Thu, 21 August 2008 at 8:22 PM

Hi wonga,

Yes, everything is secure and has been since last night.  The blank email was completely my fault as I hit the send button instead of the link to retrieve data I was building for a report I'm working on.

Sorry to all for the inconvenience.

Debbie M.

AnnieD ( ) posted Thu, 21 August 2008 at 8:25 PM

Deb...now you should type an explanation and 'accidently' hit the send button again....       :m_bouncy:

[Stuart Chase]

Debbie M. ( ) posted Thu, 21 August 2008 at 8:29 PM

NOOOOO Annie, I'd have everyone throwing tomatoes at me then LOL

Debbie M.

Khai ( ) posted Thu, 21 August 2008 at 8:36 PM

Tomatoes! get your Tomatoes here.....T-Shirts! get your 'I tomatoed a Rendo Admin' Here...

LadySythe ( ) posted Thu, 21 August 2008 at 8:39 PM

Quote - Debbie M. :

Hi wonga,

Yes, everything is secure and has been since last night.  The blank email was completely my fault as I hit the send button instead of the link to retrieve data I was building for a report I'm working on.

Sorry to all for the inconvenience.

Soo... You're the culpurit! lol I was wondering why a lot of us got those emails, as well as concerned it might have been something unfavorable to my computer. Thanks for letting us know!

LadySythe

P.S. Try not to hit send again ;)

Jean-Luc_Ajrarn ( ) posted Thu, 21 August 2008 at 8:44 PM

Quote - A lot of ppl don't realize it but you also have a cache of temp internet files just for your java program.

Thanks, AnnieD. :)
I didn't know that either.

Now... what happens if i uncheck "Keep temporary files on my computer"?
Would that be a good idea?

Debbie M. ( ) posted Thu, 21 August 2008 at 8:47 PM

Khai, you may get VERY rich selling those tomatoes and T-shirts LOL 

I don't think I can say I'm sorry enough for the false alarm.  As soon as I knew what I did I felt like crawling into the nearest, DEEPEST hole!

Debbie M.

StaceyG ( ) posted Thu, 21 August 2008 at 8:51 PM

No worries Debbie. We are human and accidents happen.  Its all good:)

Khai, you better not tomato me!!!   I've got my eye on you!!!            :m_lecture:     You don't want a lecture from me about tomato throwing do you? heehee   

originalkitten ( ) posted Thu, 21 August 2008 at 8:57 PM

deb why dont ya just send out another email saying sorry for the blank email? lmao would solve having to reply lol

Debbie M. ( ) posted Thu, 21 August 2008 at 8:59 PM

that would be a disaster on top of a disaster Lou LOL

Debbie M.

originalkitten ( ) posted Thu, 21 August 2008 at 9:00 PM

lmaoooooo ....was just a thought.....now thats prob why your staff and I'm not! lmao

originalkitten ( ) posted Thu, 21 August 2008 at 9:05 PM

LOL I just realised when I posted that someone else had done the same....lmao now Im hanging head in shame lmao

AnnieD ( ) posted Thu, 21 August 2008 at 9:06 PM

Quote - > Quote - A lot of ppl don't realize it but you also have a cache of temp internet files just for your java program.

Thanks, AnnieD. :)
I didn't know that either.

Now... what happens if i uncheck "Keep temporary files on my computer"?
Would that be a good idea?

Your cache for temp internet files is a place for the files to stay so your computer  can access them faster without having to completely load them again like you did the first time your browser accessed the page they were on...so, if you check not to keep them..they will just load every time like the first time...no big deal unless you are on dial-up and your pages load really slow all the time...then it could be a pain to load them fresh every time...but remember you also don't usually use your java constantly anyway.
The temp internet files for windows works the same way...I never keep my history and my browser is set to empty my temp files everytime I close it...you can also get virus and trojans...etc.  stuck in your temp file folder.
Anyway...you decide...uncheck it for awhile and if it doesn't bother you...leave it that way..if it does..just remember to empty it often.

[Stuart Chase]

Debbie M. ( ) posted Thu, 21 August 2008 at 9:08 PM

LOL Lou, I think we both need some rest 😉

Debbie M.

originalkitten ( ) posted Thu, 21 August 2008 at 9:09 PM

lmao Deb I sure do.....tis 3.09 am here.... I WILL go to bed soon lmao

Debbie M. ( ) posted Thu, 21 August 2008 at 9:11 PM

sweet dreams :)  I still have a few hours left before I hit my pillow LOL

Debbie M.

originalkitten ( ) posted Thu, 21 August 2008 at 9:16 PM

lmao ....you too when you finally get there!

Faery_Light ( ) posted Thu, 21 August 2008 at 9:25 PM

Hmmm, wondered about that. Nortons blocked it several times and deleted the Trojan. I was left wondering where the catnip it was coming from. :)

Let me introduce you to my multiple personalities. :)
     BluEcho...Faery_Light...Faery_Souls.

LostinSpaceman ( ) posted Thu, 21 August 2008 at 9:26 PM

Quote - I've just had a blank email from store@renderosity.com ...... is this anything to do with the hack?

Ditto the blank email thing.

Khai ( ) posted Thu, 21 August 2008 at 9:28 PM

Quote - sorry originalkitten.  That was completely my fault as I was in the backend gathering some data for reports, and I accidentally hit the submit button and it sent out a blank email to all previous buyers :(  deb hangs head in shame and is very sorry

LostinSpaceman ( ) posted Thu, 21 August 2008 at 9:30 PM

Quote - > Quote - sorry originalkitten.  That was completely my fault as I was in the backend gathering some data for reports, and I accidentally hit the submit button and it sent out a blank email to all previous buyers :(  deb hangs head in shame and is very sorry

Yup! I read that as I continued scrolling further down.

Jean-Luc_Ajrarn ( ) posted Thu, 21 August 2008 at 9:41 PM

Thanks again, AnnieD. :)

I will try that, then. :)

Daidalos ( ) posted Thu, 21 August 2008 at 9:49 PM

Quote - > Quote - Thank you so much for that, AnnieD...

I never knew of this java cache feature. :m_shocked:

But damn, now I'm going to have keep calling my bank to see if my recent rendo purchase info is being used to take money from my account. I did delete those viruses this morning before purchasing, but didn't know anything about deleting the cache stuff that may have been associated with the java activity I saw last night.

I effing hate this kind of thing.

You are welcome Angelsinger.  I found out the hard way..years ago. 
Now I have to figure out why the forum pages are completely out of whack and stretching across and off the screen..the posting section is ok...so off I go to check it out.
Jeeze...I don't get the ads that follow you...I didn't run into the hacker stuff..i thought everything was ok on my end and I missed out on it..now this...lol

Sorry thats because of the screen shot I posted.

"The Blood is the life!"

AnnieD ( ) posted Thu, 21 August 2008 at 9:52 PM

Thanks...I figured that out pretty quick but it only lasted as long as it took for another page to start...so no problem. 

[Stuart Chase]

3Dillusions ( ) posted Fri, 22 August 2008 at 5:42 AM

I missed all the fun, was sleeping over in Australia, good to see you guys removed it.
Nasty thing

3Dillusions ( ) posted Fri, 22 August 2008 at 5:44 AM

Forgot to Ask was it Java or JavaScript that the Trojan loaded from?

Angelsinger ( ) posted Fri, 22 August 2008 at 6:55 PM

3Dillusions, it was Java.

My AV pointed me to the path c-Documents and Settings - username - Application Data - Sun - Java - Deployment - cache - and then a couple more subfolders.

3Dillusions ( ) posted Fri, 22 August 2008 at 7:09 PM

There you go, Firefox recommends all users disable Java that is why I did not get any warning or infection, thanks Firefox well that proved it worked.

I have javascript enabled but no JAVA.

I wonder if the rate of infection was higher with IE or Firefox.

Nasty things Trojans, well Spohos was warning about it for 2 weeks, and websites are still getting caught with their pants down, not excuse, you must keep up with all the updates, I do, I don't understand people that run web pages and don't update regularly.

They should all subscribe to Spohos Daily reports those guys are up there with the first release in the wild of things, that way you know which module or program or update to check.  No excuse to get taken over like that, especially all the larger sites that are getting hit.

Angela

AnnieD ( ) posted Fri, 22 August 2008 at 8:25 PM · edited Fri, 22 August 2008 at 8:27 PM

For anyone who is really interested in the way these things work...and which is more secure..how to protect your machine, etc.

**The malicious payload may be in the form of a Java applet, JavaScript, an ActiveX control, or any other form of executable content, which usually runs surreptitiously in the background.
Take your pick of articles

[Stuart Chase]

3Dillusions ( ) posted Fri, 22 August 2008 at 8:43 PM · edited Fri, 22 August 2008 at 8:44 PM

Yep they exploit them all, the point it to keep up with all updates, sure they will find one that has not even been picked up yet but those are really rare, this Trojan was in the wild for 2 weeks so it should of been plugged ages ago.

This week Java, next week php and anything else that runs online.
There spammers are pests its the credit card fraud and bot controllers that are the major criminals online.

rydelldragon ( ) posted Fri, 22 August 2008 at 10:16 PM

Content Advisory! This message contains profanity

glad you caught the scripts that caused this. it took FIVE hours to clean up after this mess. my wife, whose computer got hit, has an old pc and can't run the new AV software, it takes too much. how did the SOB get the JS onto your pages. there are others who lost their pcs to this mess.

I'd say i'm sorry about ranting but i'm not. this mess screwed up five hours of my time, caused so much stress that my wife won't even come back here, and has disabled all scripts on her pc. I can not stress this strongly enough,  it is more than an inconveinence, it's a nightmare, my wife is a survivor of rape and the level of violated she feels is such that she is having flashbacks to things from years ago.

3Dillusions ( ) posted Sat, 23 August 2008 at 1:34 AM · edited Sat, 23 August 2008 at 1:35 AM

So sorry about your wife, tell her to use Firefox Mozilla, you can disable Java and JavaScript's and still go online without any problems, I also have Flash Disabled, they are hitting those adverts too in a big way.

The reason flash is disabled on my browser is my pc is slow and it freezes, it hates my Nividia Graphics card and always has.  As I have a slow pc, I can understand your frustration on running the latest AV programs and they are huge on Memory which us poor people don't have on older pc's.

If you are using IE ditch it if you need help to set this up I can show you some add ons that will literally save you heaps of time online and keep your safe.  Nothing compares to it, its so easy to install and has so many features you will be amazed.  I got one Trojan in 1999, and thats the last time I had IE on my pc, refuse to even let it load, its a bloated beast that does nothing but infect a users pc, and if any disagrees then bad luck its a fact.

Internet explorer has a higher malware infection rate than Firefox.

3Dillusions ( ) posted Sat, 23 August 2008 at 1:51 AM

Someone correct me if I am wrong with this and IFRAME exploit?

AnnieD ( ) posted Sat, 23 August 2008 at 3:21 AM

To be fair...I use IE 7...and I don't have any problems...I also run my java and no problems.
My pc was built in 2001 and its not a new one by any means....
If you take the time to learn about security for your pc...you cut down the chances of getting infected greatly.   I haven't had an infection on this machine since I've had it....luck?  yes!
As long as you are on the internet...you can get infected by these things...they get more sophisticated every day...and no one browser or program will protect you.

[Stuart Chase]

Angelsinger ( ) posted Sat, 23 August 2008 at 12:00 PM

Know what 3Dillusions, I'm using FF, and if I had only known to disable Java, I wouldn't still be wondering if info could have been ciphered by the cached Java crap. :s

My AV located the infected stuff in FF's cache, but it didn't point me to the Java cache til I did a full scan.

AnyHOO, thanks for the info, it's much appreciated. : )

AnnieD ( ) posted Sat, 23 August 2008 at 2:45 PM · edited Sat, 23 August 2008 at 2:47 PM

Quote - Know what 3Dillusions, I'm using FF, and if I had only known to disable Java, I wouldn't still be wondering if info could have been ciphered by the cached Java crap. :s

My AV located the infected stuff in FF's cache, but it didn't point me to the Java cache til I did a full scan.

As long as your software (any software) caches files you run a risk.  Best thing is to find out where those files are being kept temporarily and make sure you keep it cleaned out...it should be part of your regular maintenance.
Your computer keeps these files in a temp folder...( there's more than one on your pc ) ..and says its faster to retrieve them from there than to download them all over again...so in that folder you have everything sitting there that was a part of the page that you originally downloaded...pics..scripts..flash  ad cookies session info...everything that went into making that page available to you!

If you haven't already checked it out..load up a page or two from the net...and go open your temp internet folder and look at all the junk in it....junk that doesn't all go away by itself.
Java isn't the only thing to watch out for....and the temp internet folder isn't the only place that keeps those things.

[Stuart Chase]

Angelsinger ( ) posted Sat, 23 August 2008 at 3:19 PM

Thanks for your reply, AnnieD.  : )

I have always known about the cache folders, have gone into them to dig out videos from youtube, etc... lol -- But... I'm surprised I never realized that it could be unsafe to keep stuff in there.

I use FF's 'clear private data' shortcut keys to wipe the cache & other stuff often... But still!

To be honest, this was the first time I was ever alerted about a virus attack on a website!
Guess I felt pretty secure with my AV, and was ignorant about considering the cached files if such a thing occurred.

AnnieD ( ) posted Sat, 23 August 2008 at 3:49 PM

It sounds like you are doing what you can...and thats all you can do...that and learn about it.
Lots of nasty things can get in there ....kinda like roaches or ants hiding behind other things...eewww!
Like I said...I learned most of this the hard way in the last 12 or 13 yrs...
There is a site online to get all the security info you need....and run tests to see if your pc is safe...click on the shields up and look around at those tests.. I've been going there and using it for years....and its free.

Shields Up       For anyone who wants to check it out.

[Stuart Chase]

Angelsinger ( ) posted Sat, 23 August 2008 at 3:58 PM

Bookmarking that site, Annie, thanks again! : )

Hope it doesn't say "uh oh!" when it's done scanning.
lol

AnnieD ( ) posted Sat, 23 August 2008 at 4:02 PM · edited Sat, 23 August 2008 at 4:03 PM

Actually, it checks to make sure your ports are closed so nothing sneaks in the back way..lol
and it also shows you what kind of info your browser gives to the pages you visit..and it shows about cookies..and just a whole lot of security things you can  control yourself if you just do them...By the time you are done your computer will not be able to be seen by hackers...etc.   You will be running in total stealth mode.  lol

[Stuart Chase]

AnnieD ( ) posted Sat, 23 August 2008 at 4:11 PM

You know...there is one thing that I can't say loud enough or often enough to anyone who will listen....
DO NOT....do not ever click on anything that you don't know what it is for sure....!!!

The ppl who got into trouble here did so because they allowed a request from an unknown factor...the interaction is the key to allowing unknown files on your computer....

The worse ones are the ones that pop up on pages and when you click to turn them off or get rid of them...you download them instead...because the only command on those things is to download...no matter what else it says...don't close it..don't allow it..don't hit the little x to get rid of it...if there is any question....close out your browser instead...and check your temp internet file folder to make sure it cleaned out.
Best thing to do is stay away from questionable pages.

[Stuart Chase]

3Dillusions ( ) posted Sat, 23 August 2008 at 9:16 PM

Quote - Know what 3Dillusions, I'm using FF, and if I had only known to disable Java, I wouldn't still be wondering if info could have been ciphered by the cached Java crap. :s

AnyHOO, thanks for the info, it's much appreciated. : )

Your welcome

And I have my cache to empty everytime I close firefox.
Do this this for FF Users do the following.

Tool, Options, when the window opens go to the Privacy Tab

Then down the bottom you will see Private Data
Put a check mark under Always clear myl private data when I Close Firefox.

the next Thing to do is to make sure its clears what you want, I have the following but this is personal choice you might want to clear the whole thing.

Click the settings button in the same area and put a check mark in the things you want cleared but make sure Cache is one of them.

I only keep cookies and passwords the rest I nuke.

Angela

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.