Fri, Oct 4, 4:22 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 04 8:39 am)

Subject: Checkerboard Poser fix?

Ghostofmacbeth ( ) posted Mon, 08 September 2008 at 10:02 PM · edited Fri, 04 October 2024 at 4:21 PM

I know this has been an ongoing problem with Poser and bump and displacement but when I am rendering I am getting a checkerboard sometimes. I would like to fix that if anyone knows how to :) Thanks

geoegress ( ) posted Mon, 08 September 2008 at 10:31 PM

humm- sounds like you have two surfaces trying to be in the same place at the same time- try seperating them a little more.

In free stuff is a program called Objaction Twoface 4.0

this will often fix that problem also but it just about doubles the prop size.

Sorry- others can say it fancier then me in more technical terms.

aremis2000 ( ) posted Tue, 09 September 2008 at 2:38 AM

If you are rendering in Firefly, try turning on "Remove backfacing polygons". I learnt a lot about this recently when working on the release of the Armour Z/Iron Man figure for poser.

EnglishBob ( ) posted Tue, 09 September 2008 at 6:12 AM
EnglishBob ( ) posted Tue, 09 September 2008 at 6:37 AM

Maybe I should be more informative... :-)

The problem that geo and aremis are describing is, if I've read the OP right, not the same thing. It's true that you get rendering artifacts with double sided polygons, but this is a separate bug. Applying bump or displacement tends to accentuate the polygon boundaries in FireFly - but as I said, now fixed.

aremis2000 ( ) posted Tue, 09 September 2008 at 6:47 AM

Yeah, not the same thing at all unfortunately. The problem discussed here comes down to a modeling problem, not a Poser/Application problem.
Some OBJ files that are referenced, usually when it's a freebie or a converted obj file, it carries with it dual faces to the poly, which when rendered, will give the checkerboard problem.

The update does not fix that, since it comes down to the person who modeled the figure/OBJ file.

Apart from turning on "Remove Backfacing Poly's" in the render window, the only other solution to this problem is to import the original OBJ file that is being referenced into a Poser friendly pro app (Shade is the best for this, since it retains all Poser relevant data when done), and re-export it back out without modifications, until you get to the window that has a checkbox that allows you to export as a SINGLE sided OBJ.
This will elliminate the checkerboard problem. It might make parts of the figure look transparent prior to rendering, but it will render fine.
You an then take it a step further if you find parts of the OBJ file appearing transparent in Poser, but locating the same areas in the high end modeling app, and manually reversing those flipped poly's.

Personally, I would contact the person that made the figure first and tell them to smarten up and fix it properly.

EnglishBob ( ) posted Tue, 09 September 2008 at 7:51 AM

Well, GoM didn't post a picture so it's impossible to be certain. I just answered the question as I read it - I'm sure he'll clarify if necessary. 

Ghostofmacbeth ( ) posted Tue, 09 September 2008 at 8:06 AM

I am thinking it might be EnglishBob's issue. I am hoping there is another work around though, since SR3 fixes that but breaks something else that I have heard. I need the hair room soon and it breaks the file I am working with in SR3.

Blackhearted ( ) posted Tue, 09 September 2008 at 8:10 AM

you can reduce it by bumping up the minimum shading rate a little - at the cost of very fine details. the checkerboarding will be most pronounced at 0.00 and as you go higher itll be less noticeable.

every min shading rate setting above 0.00 starts to truncate render detail, however, so try to find a balance.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.