Sun, Oct 6, 3:28 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Vue

Welcome to the Vue Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, TheBryster

Vue F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 26 4:27 pm)

Subject: Die, Vue, Die!

Paul Francis ( ) posted Wed, 10 September 2008 at 12:04 PM · edited Sun, 06 October 2024 at 1:28 PM

Here's a weird one;

I've built my new Vista 64 Quad-Core 8Gb wonderbeast, and, having just replaced my (relatively)expensive ATI GFX card with a cheaper Nvidia 7600GT have now got Vue Esprit 6 running fine; the Nvidia card seems to be a lot more compatible than the ATI card.

Anyway, did a test render, very happy, exited Vue (what a change from having it just crash out.....!), walked the dogs, scooped the poop, had a cup of tea (day off work!). 

Some time later I  noticed that my CPU temperature was up at around 43C, which is where it is when rendering/under load.  With nothing running, it seemed a bit odd, particularly as all 4 cores of the CPU appeared to be having a wild party, running at 75-90% capacity.

I checked with task manager, and lo! and behold! Vue was apparently still running somewhere, utilising 6 gigs of memory and going flat out!  I closed it down and everything went back into the green zone.

Anyone had this/got an explanation?

My self-build system - Vista 64 on a Kingston 240GB SSD, Asus P5Q Pro MB, Quad 6600 CPU, 8 Gb Geil Black Dragon Ram, CoolerMaster HAF932 full tower chassis, EVGA Geforce GTX 750Ti Superclocked 2 Gb, Coolermaster V8 CPU aircooler, Enermax 600W Modular PSU, 240Gb SSD, 2Tb HDD storage, 28" LCD monitor, and more red LEDs than a grown man really needs.....I built it in 2008 and can't afford a new one, yet.....!

My Software - Poser Pro 2012, Photoshop, Bryce 6 and Borderlands......"Catch a  r--i---d-----e-----!"

bruno021 ( ) posted Wed, 10 September 2008 at 12:33 PM

Strange indeed, since Esprit cannot use more than 2  CPU, so if only Vue was running, CPU usage should've been around 50%...

Insom_Nia ( ) posted Wed, 10 September 2008 at 12:46 PM

I know the problem with Vista....

It happened several times when I wanted to restart an app later I couldn't and the task manager showed me the app still running in the background. I then have to close it again manually and that often is not possible (sometimes I even have to reboot to start fresh)...

I wish for a proggie which controls the running programs better than the current task manager! :(

Rutra ( ) posted Wed, 10 September 2008 at 1:02 PM

Quote - "I wish for a proggie which controls the running programs better than the current task manager!"

I use ProcessExplorer, a free tool from www.sysinternals.com. They have several other great tools, all free. For example, FilesMon and RegMon control the files and registry entries used by each application.

As to the problem mentioned by Paul, I've never seen anything like that in my systems. Do you have Windows Update turned on and all the latest updates installed?

Insom_Nia ( ) posted Wed, 10 September 2008 at 1:09 PM

Thank you Rutra!
That sounds exactly like what I need...:)

Paul Francis ( ) posted Wed, 10 September 2008 at 2:10 PM

*"As to the problem mentioned by Paul, I've never seen anything like that in my systems. Do you have Windows Update turned on and all the latest updates installed?"

Rutra - yes, just downloaded the latest updates today in fact.  The 4-core issue; the cores kept swapping activity; one would be busy, then die down, then the next one would start jumping....none of them dropped below 20% though.  After *I killed Vue in Task Manager, all but one was rock steady at 0%.

My self-build system - Vista 64 on a Kingston 240GB SSD, Asus P5Q Pro MB, Quad 6600 CPU, 8 Gb Geil Black Dragon Ram, CoolerMaster HAF932 full tower chassis, EVGA Geforce GTX 750Ti Superclocked 2 Gb, Coolermaster V8 CPU aircooler, Enermax 600W Modular PSU, 240Gb SSD, 2Tb HDD storage, 28" LCD monitor, and more red LEDs than a grown man really needs.....I built it in 2008 and can't afford a new one, yet.....!

My Software - Poser Pro 2012, Photoshop, Bryce 6 and Borderlands......"Catch a  r--i---d-----e-----!"

thefixer ( ) posted Wed, 10 September 2008 at 3:50 PM

I'm also on a Quad core with Vista Ultimate 64 and 8 Gig RAM, I've not seen this issue either!!
I am on Infinite though so maybe that's a clue!!!
Maybe it's a problem with Esprit version!!
Try sending a report to e-on tech!!

Injustice will be avenged.
Cofiwch Dryweryn.

Paul Francis ( ) posted Thu, 11 September 2008 at 1:03 AM

Quote - I'm also on a Quad core with Vista Ultimate 64 and 8 Gig RAM, I've not seen this issue either!!
I am on Infinite though so maybe that's a clue!!!
Maybe it's a problem with Esprit version!!
Try sending a report to e-on tech!!

Good idea; never thought of that....cutting and pasting my OP as we speak....!

Thanks guys.

silverblade33 ( ) posted Thu, 11 September 2008 at 11:02 AM

A few times I've seem this, but not in a while (on Infinite)
Do you have Service pakc 1 for Vista installed? :)

"I'd rather be a Fool who believes in Dragons, Than a King who believes in Nothing!" www.silverblades-suitcase.com
Free tutorials, Vue & Bryce materials, Bryce Skies, models, D&D items, stories.
Tutorials on Poser imports to Vue/Bryce, Postwork, Vue rendering/lighting, etc etc!

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.