Sun, Oct 6, 7:32 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 05 8:40 pm)

Subject: Poser Pro Queue Manager slower than if you did it manually.

Zanzo ( ) posted Fri, 12 September 2008 at 5:51 AM · edited Fri, 26 July 2024 at 2:48 AM

So I made a 160 frame animation and now I'm testing render speeds. Me vs the Queue Manager.

Manual Render & Export using the Background Render

• Render/Export each frame in 20 seconds.  I can sit there and render each frame fast and export fast. Every frame in 20 seconds.  That is 3 frames per minute.

**Automatic Render & Export using the queue manager & "image files" options under "make movie", then doing "Send to queue".
*- Each frame takes roughly 40 seconds. *The queue manager is not as fast as doing it manually. Queue Manager takes twice as long!!!!

I can understand the first frame taking a long time since it needs to save it's own PZ3 file.  But every frame after that should be as fast as me doing it manually.  Then again this is coming from a company that uses network sockets to communicate between threads laugh.

So anyone know how to get the queue manager to perform as good as rendering images manually?  I might be doing something wrong.  It doesn't make sense for the queue manager to be this slow.

IsaoShi ( ) posted Fri, 12 September 2008 at 8:09 AM

Looking at my Mac Activity Monitor while rendering in the Background or using Queue Manager, it appeared to be using only one thread instead of the 4 it uses rendering manually. Maybe that's why it's slower? Just a thought...

"If I were a shadow, I know I wouldn't like to be half of what I should be."
Mr Otsuka, the old black tomcat in Kafka on the Shore (Haruki Murakami)

dbowers22 ( ) posted Fri, 12 September 2008 at 12:06 PM

Are you using the Queue renderer to render on the same computer that you have your Poser
program on?  That's not really what it is intended for.  It supposed to be used with
other computers on a network as a render farm so that you can have several computers
doing the renders all at once.  So say you have 4 other computers in your network, in addition
to the one that has Poser installed on it.  Now try sending the animation frames to
those computers using the queue manager, and then try using your Poser computer
to render the same amount of frames with background render, and see which is faster.
If all you have is the one computer, then basically the queue renderer is useless and
you are better of just using the background renderer.

IsaoShi ( ) posted Fri, 12 September 2008 at 12:58 PM

@ dbowers22: Nearly, but not quite useless. I can set off a render in the queue manager, then close that scene in Poser and open another one to work on. Then send that to the queue manager, close Poser and go to bed leaving them both to render overnight. That's very useful for me.

Izi

"If I were a shadow, I know I wouldn't like to be half of what I should be."
Mr Otsuka, the old black tomcat in Kafka on the Shore (Haruki Murakami)

stewer ( ) posted Fri, 12 September 2008 at 1:46 PM

For single frames, the queue can be slower since it has to first read and parse the pz3 file before it can fire off a render. When you start a render from within Poser, that part has been done already.

manoloz ( ) posted Fri, 12 September 2008 at 2:03 PM

Could be that the queue manager gets assigned a background process priority. Have you tried giving higher execution priority to the queue manager?

still hooked to real life and enjoying the siesta!
Visit my blog! :D
Visit my portfolio! :D

Zanzo ( ) posted Fri, 12 September 2008 at 4:33 PM

Quote -  For single frames, the queue can be slower since it has to first read and parse the pz3 file before it can fire off a render. When you start a render from within Poser, that part has been done already.

This is the same conclusion I came to.

So the question is, how can we get maximum render performance out of poser cough PRO cough without using the queue manager?  The queue manager requires an additional computer on the network to soak up the loss of performance from the loading time (very lame).

Any ideas? I was thinking of writing a script of some kind that will render each frame using the background renderer, then export it as an image file all from within poser pro. 

Proper methodology.

• Get total frame count
  • Begin rendering frame 1.
  • Wait until render is finished.
  • Export image file.
  • Begin rendering frame 2.
  • rinse, repeat......

Queue Manager Methodology (Great if you have a network farm)

• Save a pz3 file (makes sense)

• Open pz3 file (performance penalty, add an extra computer to make up for this loss of time)

• Render frame 1

• Export image

• Close pz3

• Open pz3 file again (performance penalty)

• Render frame 2

• etc...

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.