Tue, Oct 1, 2:30 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 30 7:03 pm)

Subject: flipped normals

RedPhantom ( ) posted Thu, 11 September 2008 at 8:42 PM · edited Tue, 01 October 2024 at 2:23 PM
Site Admin

I have some props that the normals are facing the wrong way. I know I can check normals forward in the materials room but that doesn't in preview mode and it is kinda difficult to pose fiures around it when you can hardly see it. Is there something I can do to fix this aside from selecting individual normanls and flipping them?

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader Monster of the North and The Shimmering Mage

Today I break my own personal record for the number of days for being alive.
Check out my store here or my free stuff here
I use Poser 13 and win 10

geep ( ) posted Thu, 11 September 2008 at 8:50 PM · edited Thu, 11 September 2008 at 9:04 PM

Attached Link: "Grouping Tool" compliments of Dr Geep Studios

file_413768.gif

*(click image to view full size) (click link above image to view complete tutorial)*

Hi Red,

Use the Grouping Tool (Group Editor) and use the "Reverse Group Normals" button.
See Page 13 (below)** ** in the attached link to the complete tut.

cheers,
dr geep
;=]

Graphic to follow ...

Remember ... "With Poser, all things are possible, and poseable!"

cheers,

dr geep ... :o]

edited 10/5/2019

geep ( ) posted Thu, 11 September 2008 at 9:10 PM · edited Thu, 11 September 2008 at 9:16 PM

Well, the graphic didn't follow .......... because ......  I got it (Page13) posted in the previous post. 😄

cheers,
dr geep
;=]

Addendum to Page 13 note:
"If the prop ... "

Try this: ............ to do all the groups at the same time.

1. Make a "New Group" named "NewGroup"
  2. "Add All"
  3. "Reverse Group Normals"
    4.Delete "NewGroup"

Remember ... "With Poser, all things are possible, and poseable!"

cheers,

dr geep ... :o]

edited 10/5/2019

RedPhantom ( ) posted Fri, 12 September 2008 at 8:46 AM
Site Admin

Thanks but that flips all the normals and only some of them need it. I know I can select some of the normals and flip them, but there are quite a few and some are really tiny. I guess I'm just being lazy and hoping for a short cut.

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader Monster of the North and The Shimmering Mage

Today I break my own personal record for the number of days for being alive.
Check out my store here or my free stuff here
I use Poser 13 and win 10

pjz99 ( ) posted Fri, 12 September 2008 at 9:01 AM

If you have a modeler, look for a feature like "align normals" and just fix it in your modeler. 

My Freebies

TheOwl ( ) posted Fri, 12 September 2008 at 11:20 AM

wouldn't it be just easier to go the material room and select normals forward?

Passion is anger and love combined. So if it looks angry, give it some love!

Realmling ( ) posted Fri, 12 September 2008 at 12:24 PM

If it's a prop with no morphs or what have you, can also try this and see if it might fix things (if you don't have a modeler):

If embedded in the pp2 file, export it from Poser as OBJ, then on re-import, clear all boxes except the one that says "Make polygon normals consistant" (or something along those lines)

If it's a referenced obj in the pp2 file, find the geometries folder with the OBJ file in it, and then do the same import step as above.

Crazy alien chick FTW! (yeah....right....)

Realm of Savage - Poser goodies and so much more!

~~

dbowers22 ( ) posted Fri, 12 September 2008 at 12:39 PM

Quote - wouldn't it be just easier to go the material room and select normals forward?

Doesn't help in the preview mode though.  Just works for the rendered image.
So there is the problem of seeing the model to pose it in the first place.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.