Sat, Oct 5, 8:21 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 05 8:08 am)

Subject: ot: semi animated movie Immortal

dorkmcgork ( ) posted Thu, 18 September 2008 at 10:31 PM · edited Sat, 05 October 2024 at 6:22 AM

anyone see this movie, Immortal, by enki bilal
blends real people and animated people with really spectacular sets, and one truly weird storyline.
i'm not saying run out and buy it unless you're hardcore about film animation.  but if anyone has seen it what do you think?

go that way really fast.
if something gets in your way
turn

TheOwl ( ) posted Fri, 19 September 2008 at 3:15 AM

Saw the movie. Weird stuff indeed. I would give it 3 stars or less. The story doesn't make sense other than apocalyptic stuff and symbolism.

Passion is anger and love combined. So if it looks angry, give it some love!

hborre ( ) posted Fri, 19 September 2008 at 8:45 AM
Online Now!

Actually caught some of this on a cable channel recently and it is really, really weird.  Love stuff like this.  I definitely need to find out when it will be rebroadcast to watch the entire movie.

dorkmcgork ( ) posted Fri, 19 September 2008 at 1:40 PM

i finished watching last night and it was really pretty good.  lot of poetry and stuff.  says on the box that the comic that it was made from was part of the inspiration for blade runner and stargate.  you can definitely tell.
story was a little shallow though...so many threads it could've been longer to flesh them out.  but that's my only complaint.  truly unusual film
the film cost 13 bucks brand new. 

go that way really fast.
if something gets in your way
turn

steerpike ( ) posted Sun, 28 September 2008 at 2:50 PM

I haven't seen the film, but judging by 'Nikopol Trilogy', the only work of his I know, weirdness is pretty much guaranteed - very stylish weirdness, but weirdness nonetheless.

I wouldn't have thought he'd been around long enough to have influenced 'Blade Runner', though.

bigjobbie ( ) posted Mon, 29 September 2008 at 7:47 PM

Immortel is based on the "Nikopol Trilogy" - mostly book 2: The Woman Trap. They make a bit more sense than the film, probably because you can take your time with them. But there's a lot of Eastern European political allegory going on, so it's foriegn territory for your average genre movie/FX fan.

I think Bilal was working on stuff for Heavy Metal/Metal Hurlant back when Ridley Scott was checking it out for Bladerunner, but Moebius would've been the greater influence on Bladerunner.

Bilal has a few other films out but it's hard to find subtitled versions - nothing with Immortel's level of FX though. Some interesting and surprising techniques - seemingly random use of real actors and CG ones. Definitely a unique piece.

Cheers

stonemason ( ) posted Tue, 30 September 2008 at 12:32 AM

weird..I was just telling someone how obscure this film was & that no one I knew had heard of it..

btw,Chris Thunig who was an artist at Duran at the time the film was made has some of the imortel assets on display at his site..in the texture section:
http://www.thunig.com/content_01/tp_main_01.html

Cg Society Portfolio

bigjobbie ( ) posted Tue, 30 September 2008 at 5:08 AM

Wow, nice - I'll just go shoot myself...heheh.

Immortel has been on TV here (SBS - Australia's sort of foreign culture broadcaster) and the DVD is pretty easy to find. Aussies are such SF junkies that anything that pretty will get a fairly respectable release. Surprised it's less know in NZ though.

Bilal has another series of books after the Nikopol Trilogy - just as strange but just as brilliantly illustrated. That baroque SF design of his...

"Humanoids" is the name of the publisher I think - any specialty comics store should be able to get them in the translated editions.

Cheers

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.