Sun, Oct 6, 9:26 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 05 8:40 pm)

Subject: Question about the runtime folder

Suucat ( ) posted Sat, 20 September 2008 at 8:55 PM · edited Wed, 02 October 2024 at 11:48 AM

Hello, i have a question about the runtime folder, im starting to have some problems with my computer, last thursday  it restarted for no reason, then i had some  trouble trying to get window to run, ie it didnt turn on correctly, then i got some error messages, then i got a message from windows that it recovered from an error, all my configuration was gone, it was like a new windows install (original windows wallpaper, want to take a tour to windows?)

Ok, the problem i have now is that poser7 runs fine, but when i load any model, it doesnt show the dials correctly, and if i try to input an angle for say, right arm 10°, poser stops responding, also when i try to adjust the preferences, it stops responding too.

I think i have to uninstall poser and reinstall it again, so my question is, what happens to the runtime folder, if i uninstall poser do i lose it? or it remains...

Thanks in advance.

Who finds a friend finds a treasure!

RedPhantom ( ) posted Sat, 20 September 2008 at 9:32 PM
Site Admin

I could be wrong, but I believe it will delete your runtime. Copy it to a different folder to save it. it will also delete you library preference file. if you use external runtimes you'll want to copy that too. You can find that  in C:Documents and Settingsyour windows user name hereApplication DataPoser 7 and it's called LibraryPrefs.xml

Now the bad news: with all that your computer is doing, you might have a virus or some hardware in your computer might be going bad.  I'm no expert on computers so I might be wrong and I'm sure one of the gurus will be on later and correct me if I'm wrong, but you might want to back things up just in case.

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader Monster of the North and The Shimmering Mage

Today I break my own personal record for the number of days for being alive.
Check out my store here or my free stuff here
I use Poser 13 and win 10

hborre ( ) posted Sun, 21 September 2008 at 7:19 AM

Agreed.  I would address the computer issue first since it might be on the verge of completely crashing.  Do you have an active antivirus running?  How old is the computer?  How old is the harddrive?  How large is the HD?  How much free space is available?  Have you run defragmentation software recently?  At this stage, if you run an antivirus deep scan, the system may reboot.

Suucat ( ) posted Mon, 22 September 2008 at 12:27 AM

Quote - Agreed.  I would address the computer issue first since it might be on the verge of completely crashing.  Do you have an active antivirus running?  How old is the computer?  How old is the harddrive?  How large is the HD?  How much free space is available?  Have you run defragmentation software recently?  At this stage, if you run an antivirus deep scan, the system may reboot.

I have Avira Antivir Personal up to date, my computer is three years old but, the hard disk is 5+ years old, its a 60Gb hard disk with around 10Gb of free space, last defragmentation was made around a month or so ago...

I think its time to get a new hard disk and just install everything again, good thing is that my runtime folder size is 8.5Gb... just the right size of a dual layer dvd ^^

Thank you all very much for your kind answers.

ps. when i reinstall poser do i just copy/paste my current runtime folder within the new installation? i dont want to have to reinstall all my libraries again one by one ><

Replicant ( ) posted Mon, 22 September 2008 at 5:23 AM

Yes just copy your Runtime into the new installation. And when you have your new HD defragmenting it weekly should be part of your maintenance routine.

Expert in computer code including, but not limited to, BTW; IIRC; IMHO; LMAO; BRB; OIC; ROFL; TTYL. Black belt in Google-fu.

EnglishBob ( ) posted Mon, 22 September 2008 at 5:26 AM

Quote - when i reinstall poser do i just copy/paste my current runtime folder within the new installation?

That will work fine. However it might be safer to copy your backed-up runtime to somewhere else on your newly installed disk, and point Poser to it. This will avoid overwriting anything important - and if your current library is all in one runtime, Poser might start up faster like that.

If you've saved any render settings, don't forget to back those up as well. I lost all my render presets last time I reinstalled, I forgot about them because they aren't in the Runtime. :( I can't recall exactly where they're kept, but I can look it up once I get home, assuming nobody else chimes in meanwhile.

hborre ( ) posted Tue, 23 September 2008 at 10:08 AM

The hard drive should be upgraded to something larger.  To my understanding, HD's have, on average, 5 years of life before going bad.  It all depends on the usage, punishment  and abuse.  And you are lucky to only have just 8 gigs Poser content.  I can fill 10 DVD's worth and more.  Sorry, don't trust dual layer completely yet.  My recommendation would be to install a new drive, reformat the old and use it as a secondary drive.  You could possibly get couple more years out of it.  It is important to defrag often but there is a school of thought out there that believes it actually shortens the drive's life.  Also, don't fill your primary HD beyond 50%, bad things begin to happen.

EnglishBob ( ) posted Tue, 23 September 2008 at 3:10 PM

Quote - I lost all my render presets last time I reinstalled, I forgot about them because they aren't in the Runtime.

My mistake, they're in C:Program FilesCurious LabsPoser 6RuntimeprefsRenderPresets - I lost mine because I keep all my stuff in an external runtime, and I never thought to back up my main Poser runtime.

Suucat ( ) posted Tue, 23 September 2008 at 10:25 PM

Quote - My recommendation would be to install a new drive, reformat the old and use it as a secondary drive.

I'm getting anew one this weekend, its going to be a pain to reinstall everything again, but thats better than losing everything.

Again, thank you all for your advice and tips.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.