Thu, Oct 3, 7:26 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 02 9:25 am)

Subject: Spooky Eyes - oppinions appreciated

jenay ( ) posted Thu, 25 September 2008 at 2:37 PM · edited Thu, 03 October 2024 at 7:26 AM

Hi all,
I am not sure which version works best -
what do you think - which of the three versions has the most "spooky" look ???
maybe you have some ideas and suggestions :) - just curious ...

jenay ( ) posted Thu, 25 September 2008 at 2:39 PM

file_414511.jpg

ockham ( ) posted Thu, 25 September 2008 at 2:40 PM

#1, pure white, is definitely spookiest by my taste.  Easy choice.

My python page
My ShareCG freebies

raven ( ) posted Thu, 25 September 2008 at 3:22 PM

Number one does look good, but for me, it's number 3! There's something about black eyes, the way they look dead, like a shark's eyes, that makes me feel slightly uneasy :)

Carioca ( ) posted Thu, 25 September 2008 at 3:43 PM

I agree with raven. I prefer the number 3. In the Supernatural TV series, persons possessed by demons have black eyes.

hborre ( ) posted Thu, 25 September 2008 at 5:39 PM

I would go with number 3.  The white eyes in 1 is too stark; a little more shine in the black eyes would 'liven' her up.

kobaltkween ( ) posted Thu, 25 September 2008 at 5:48 PM

i think the black eyes are creepiest, but you need to work with them.  with a black background and kind of medium lit figure, the white eyes look the most dramatic.  if you're going to have black eyes, you can still work dark, but you have to be very deliberate about your lighting.  i'd say look up some examples where you know they've been used well, like the 30 Days of Night movie.

FrankT ( ) posted Thu, 25 September 2008 at 6:17 PM

I often use black eyes in my renders, I think they look a lot more evil especially if you get some nice specular highlights on them

My Freebies
Buy stuff on RedBubble

urbanarmitage ( ) posted Fri, 26 September 2008 at 2:30 AM · edited Fri, 26 September 2008 at 2:43 AM

Definately number 3, for the same reasons quoted above. :)

UA

Paloth ( ) posted Fri, 26 September 2008 at 2:48 AM

The pure white eyes actually gave me a start.  

Download my free stuff here: http://www.renderosity.com/homepage.php?page=2&userid=323368

Lucifer_The_Dark ( ) posted Fri, 26 September 2008 at 3:22 AM

If the pure White eyes were glowing Red they'd be the spookiest, but I choose the Black ones as well.

Windows 7 64Bit
Poser Pro 2010 SR1

jenay ( ) posted Fri, 26 September 2008 at 4:11 AM · edited Fri, 26 September 2008 at 4:12 AM

Content Advisory! This message contains nudity

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/index.php?image_id=1752613&member

Hi all, thank you for your considerations. I agree, what's said about the black eyes - the shine is a bit tricky to get. I posted a a hires version hre - of course heavily postworked.

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/index.php?image_id=1752613&member

forgot the nudity tag ...

IsaoShi ( ) posted Fri, 26 September 2008 at 4:15 PM

As a Night Elf in another world, number 1's eyes look quite normal to me!

I'd go with no 3, but agree with the need for stronger highlights. A lighter colour iris with the dark schlera might also do the trick.

"If I were a shadow, I know I wouldn't like to be half of what I should be."
Mr Otsuka, the old black tomcat in Kafka on the Shore (Haruki Murakami)

kobaltkween ( ) posted Fri, 26 September 2008 at 4:44 PM

actually, i think the highlights are about bright enough.  if you want to make them brighter, i suggest making them reflective and giving them something high contrast to reflect. what's not working so well is the relative brightness.  you've got blonde hair that's about as bright as the highlights over the eyes and next to the highlights.  i'd advise against that.  you've got a perfectly black background, which means the eyes are just a bit more black.  i'd advise a background with color or something happening, so that the only smooth pitch black is her eyes.  i'd get her hair out of her eyes or make it lank.  because a cute set of bangs that hang over the eyes just says you aren't feral enough to either stop caring about grooming or to have a hair style that doesn't obscure your view of your prey.  she's awfully tan as well.  

artists use the classic red, white and black theme for vampires because it works well visually.  with a red background, pale skin, and black hair and eyes, the eyes would be the darkest, blackest aspect, the highlights would show off well, and the contrast would be dramatic. 

but it would be very, very typical.  i'm not suggesting you lose your artistic vision or individuality. i just think you should understand why the typical works, so you can still have its strengths.   everyone is suggesting brighter highlights, and i find 9 times out of ten that people say you should make something more x, when really, the problem is making everything else more -x.  contrast is key to drama, drama is key to a sense of menace.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.