Fri, Sep 20, 6:52 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Photoshop

Welcome to the Photoshop Forum

Forum Moderators: Wolfenshire, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Photoshop F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 10:49 pm)

Our mission is to provide an open community and unique environment where anyone interested in learning more about Adobe Photoshop can share their experience and knowledge, post their work for review and critique by their peers, and learn new techniques while developing the skills that allow each individual to realize their own unique artistic vision. We do not limit this forum to any style of work, and we strongly encourage people of all levels and interests to participate.

Are you up to the challenge??
Sharpen your Photoshop skill with this monthly challenge...

Checkout the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Will a Used Copy Already Registered Work?

novelist999 ( ) posted Thu, 21 August 2008 at 4:12 PM · edited Fri, 20 September 2024 at 4:49 AM

I know this forum is for Photoshop, but hopefully, someone here knows something about Illustrator.

I bought Illustrator 9 in one of those bundle packages from Adobe in 2002 and never had time to use or learn it.  Recently, I decided to delve into the program, only to find that a lot of the features that I need aren't in this older version.  I went to Adobe's site and learned that I couldn't upgrade 9, that I'd need Illustrator 10 in order to buy the upgrade to Illustrator CS3.

So I hunted around on Amazon and found a used upgrade version of CS2  for $50.00, which I purchased.  And today, the seller wrote to me, telling me he'd shipped it but that, unfortunately, the program has already been registered.

Does this mean that I just wasted $50.00 on software that won't work?

Thanks,
Bobette Bryan

Lucie ( ) posted Fri, 22 August 2008 at 7:38 AM · edited Fri, 22 August 2008 at 7:42 AM

I'm pretty sure your software will work but because it's not registered to your name, you probably won't  have the benefits that come with a registered version.  I'm not certain about this, but I think you can get that transferred to you  by the seller though?  It may even be a necessity because if not, the guy can install it on his computer, register it, make a copy on CD and then resell the original so it's like he gets a copy of the software for free and I doubt it's very legal...  

Edited to add that I'm really not sure about what I wrote there, hopefully someone who knows more will post here, but to me, it makes sense that the license would have to be transferred or else it would be too easy for people to just buy a software, register it and then sell the CD while they get to keep the registered version...

Lucie
finfond.net
finfond.net (store)

dreamer101 ( ) posted Fri, 22 August 2008 at 9:05 AM

Are you sure the CD is the original? Some make a copy and put an official looking label on it. Not hard to do considering it's a graphics software. You would have to activiate the software. You would also have a hard time to upgrade the software if it's not a legal CD.

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Fri, 22 August 2008 at 3:55 PM

"the seller wrote to me, telling me he'd shipped it but that, unfortunately, the program has already been registered."

this may mean that it'll work, but that ya can't upgrade to the next version, because
he already used the serial on his own upgrade.  it may also mean he violated the
EULA by selling it to ya, but I dunno what their terms are regarding resale.

SWAMP ( ) posted Fri, 22 August 2008 at 6:40 PM

Attached Link: http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=tn_15281

Just have the seller transfer the license to you, (see link).

Also note that the difference between Illy 9 and Illy CS2 is huge, while the difference between CS2 and CS3 is marginal.
Point being, CS2 will most likely do everything (and then some) to meet your needs negating the need to upgrade to CS3.

Chuck

novelist999 ( ) posted Fri, 22 August 2008 at 6:54 PM

Thanks for all of the responses. I've since researched this and thought I'd share what I found in case this is ever an issue anyone here has to deal with.  I found that it does have to be transferred to me.  There's a form on Adobe's site that has to be filled out by the person selling the software.  Adobe says it can take 3-4 weeks to transfer the software. The seller says he's willing to do this, that he's the original owner of the program who registered it.  Hopefully, he's telling the truth.  I won't know until I try to install it.

Also, in the newest versions of most Adobe products, including Photoshop and Illustrator, there are only two activations--since Adobe's registration only allows the product to be installed on the owners primary computer and a laptop.  Once those two activations are used, the product won't work on another computer.  So that's one of the big issues in buying used Adobe products.

This activation wasn't a requirement of versions of Illustrator back to 10.  It wasn't a requirement of Photoshop 6 either, which was my first version of Photoshop.

I encountered this problem when I tried installing my Photoshop CS upgrade on my new computer--which I don't yet have online, so I couldn't activate it.  It would only work for so many days until I activated it. 

This whole experience has made me think that I'm going to buy the Photoshop CS3 upgrade from Adobe before it's too late to upgrade that too. 

Thanks again for the input. :)

Lucie ( ) posted Sat, 23 August 2008 at 6:41 AM · edited Sat, 23 August 2008 at 6:42 AM

*-since Adobe's registration only allows the product to be installed on the owners primary computer and a laptop.  Once those two activations are used, the product won't work on another computer.

I'm not sure I understand this...  Does it mean that if you install it on your computer and your laptop and then 6 months later your computer crashes, you have to get a new one,  you're screwed even if you bought the software directly from Adobe???

Lucie
finfond.net
finfond.net (store)

novelist999 ( ) posted Sat, 23 August 2008 at 9:27 AM

Lucie,

From what I understand, in Photoshop CS, you have to call Adobe to get the software activated--a real pain.   Another reason why it's important to register Adobe software or transfer the registration if you're buying it used.  It says on Adobe's site that this problem has been eliminated in later versions of CS.

Here's a link to the info:
http://www.adobe.com/products/activation/

Here's a list of all of their programs that require activation:
http://www.adobe.com/products/activation/productsactiv.html

Bobette

novelist999 ( ) posted Sat, 23 August 2008 at 9:32 AM

Quote - Just have the seller transfer the license to you, (see link). Also note that the difference between Illy 9 and Illy CS2 is huge, while the difference between CS2 and CS3 is marginal.
Point being, CS2 will most likely do everything (and then some) to meet your needs negating the need to upgrade to CS3.

Chuck,
The seller has agreed to transfer the license.

Yes, the difference is huge between those versions of Illustrator, that's why I want it. I'm especially eager to try the live trace version.  Illustrator 9 doesn't even have the arc tool.

As for Photoshop, I'm currently using CS.  I'm happy with it, but I don't want to wait too long and not be able to upgrade it.  Unfortunately, I had just bought CS right before CS2 came out. One of the things I dislike most about CS is how long it takes to load up.

Bobette

dhama ( ) posted Mon, 22 September 2008 at 3:52 AM

To be honest, I think the seller should have stated it had already been registered in the original selling ad, and not after if had been paid for.

spedler ( ) posted Mon, 22 September 2008 at 1:01 PM

Quote - Does it mean that if you install it on your computer and your laptop and then 6 months later your computer crashes, you have to get a new one,  you're screwed even if you bought the software directly from Adobe???*

No, that's not the case. If it were, these activation schemes would be an even bigger pain than they are. I've just built a new PC and transferred both PS CS2 and Illy CS3 from the old one to the new one without any hassle. They both reactivated without any complaint.

Basically, these schemes usually wait a short period - a few months is typical - and then reset, so that you can reactivate the software on a different machine just as if it was the first install of that copy. MS and Adobe work like this, probably most other vendors do too.

The rationale is that what they're trying to stop is someone obtaining a copy then letting all their friends install the same copy. If there's a gap of a few months between installations, this is probably legit and not someone letting multiple installs take place from one copy.

Steve

coldrake ( ) posted Wed, 24 September 2008 at 2:10 AM

novelist999 wrote:
*"This whole experience has made me think that I'm going to buy the Photoshop CS3 upgrade from Adobe before it's too late to upgrade that too."

Adobe is taking preorders for CS4, so I'm assuming that it will be released within a couple of months, so you might want to wait and upgrade to CS4.

Coldrake

Faery_Light ( ) posted Tue, 30 September 2008 at 10:21 PM

I hate that having to activate the software deal! Windows is like that. Everytime I have a crash (and it's been too many times to suit me, stupid trojans and stuff) I have to re-activate when re-installing. For the price one pays for this software, one shouldn't have to put up with such non-sense!

Let me introduce you to my multiple personalities. :)
     BluEcho...Faery_Light...Faery_Souls.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.