Thu, Oct 3, 3:43 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Bryce

Welcome to the Bryce Forum

Forum Moderators: TheBryster

Bryce F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 28 6:28 pm)

[Gallery]     [Tutorials]

THE PLACE FOR ALL THINGS BRYCE - GOT A PROBLEM? YOU'VE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE

Subject: The Flying Scotsman Project

TheBryster ( ) posted Sat, 30 August 2008 at 7:57 AM · edited Sat, 30 August 2008 at 7:58 AM
Forum Moderator

Here's the roof complete, unless I find other ref shots. I'll probably changethe rivet mats later, but my pc has been corrupting this BR6 file and giving me all kinds of grief. 3,825 objects in the cab as a whole, 7,0005,719 polys.

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader

All the Woes of a World by Jonathan Icknield aka The Bryster

And in my final hours - I would cling rather to the tattooed hand of kindness - than the unblemished hand of hate...

Rayraz ( ) posted Mon, 01 September 2008 at 4:15 PM

i think the only thing the rivet material needs is a bit less specularity and you're set? They wont really show that large anyways on a render :-)

Btw, did you try saving as a br5 file? (dont know if thats possible) i've had rather less problems with corruption in br5.

(_/)
(='.'=)
(")
(")This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

TheBryster ( ) posted Fri, 12 September 2008 at 9:11 AM
Forum Moderator

No idea what this is for but it goes in the cab.

And in my final hours - I would cling rather to the tattooed hand of kindness - than the unblemished hand of hate...

Rayraz ( ) posted Fri, 12 September 2008 at 9:45 AM

hmm i wouldnt know what its for either :-/

(_/)
(='.'=)
(")
(")This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

tom271 ( ) posted Fri, 12 September 2008 at 10:57 AM

Well... it's a meter of some sorts....  when the arrow is at the top there is too much of something... when the arrow is at the bottom..  there is too little of something,,,,   

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

kiwi_gg ( ) posted Fri, 12 September 2008 at 7:15 PM

Where in the cab and at what size???  Could possibly be a repeater guage for the tender water level as the water tank is generally behind the coal bunker.

Cheers
GG.

WHO said Kiwi's can't Fly ?????

TheBryster ( ) posted Sat, 13 September 2008 at 8:16 AM
Forum Moderator

Kiwi_gg:  I'll post a pic when I've installed it in the cab.

TheBryster ( ) posted Sat, 13 September 2008 at 11:39 AM · edited Sat, 13 September 2008 at 11:40 AM
Forum Moderator

Here is it in situ. Can't see anything attached to it like pipes etc.

kiwi_gg ( ) posted Sat, 13 September 2008 at 12:05 PM

Completely stumped now, no wires, pipes,levers, nothing?????????
Engine Drivers abacus perhaps!!!

Cheers
GG 

tom271 ( ) posted Sat, 13 September 2008 at 12:23 PM

Maybe the weight of the water tank.. maybe...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

nruddock ( ) posted Sat, 13 September 2008 at 12:41 PM · edited Sat, 13 September 2008 at 12:42 PM

The input could be into the back of it, either via a pipe or a direct connection to some tank behind the bulkhead.

I'm pretty certain it's some kind of low pressure water level gauge.

nruddock ( ) posted Sat, 13 September 2008 at 12:47 PM

Just found a picture (from a simulator) which may help.

kiwi_gg ( ) posted Sat, 13 September 2008 at 12:48 PM

nruddock, I'm still thinking along those lines as well.

Cheers
GG

kiwi_gg ( ) posted Sat, 13 September 2008 at 12:54 PM

Excellent Picture.

Cheers
GG

kiwi_gg ( ) posted Sat, 13 September 2008 at 1:12 PM

file_413869.gif

Just found this, check out number 5 just to the right of the large round guage top centre of the cab. Not a very good pic but definately a water guage.

Cheers
GG

TheBryster ( ) posted Sat, 13 September 2008 at 1:59 PM · edited Sat, 13 September 2008 at 2:02 PM
Forum Moderator

nruddock: Thanks. That helps some.
Kiwi_gg: Interesting pic.

My problem is I can never seem to get the photo ref shots I need.

BTW I just realised, I've been at this for over 2 years now.

kiwi_gg ( ) posted Sat, 13 September 2008 at 2:39 PM

Almost a life sentence.

Cheers
GG

50parsecs ( ) posted Mon, 15 September 2008 at 11:48 PM

That definitely looks like a water guage! You had to watch those things like a hawk and make sure you had enough water for steam to get to your next rest stop for water and fuel, and sand, if you had to go up grades. You also had to make sure you had enough water to cool the crownplate, 'cause if that went you'd have an incredible explosion that could take out half a city block!! Smart railroads always kept an older experienced locomotive engineer with a trainee, until he could be trusted wirh good judgement with operating the equipment over that route.  Lives are at stake at all times while operating a steam locomotive, even the Bon Flying Scott. Diesel locos will never seem so alive, or be as dangerous

pauljs75 ( ) posted Tue, 16 September 2008 at 3:39 PM · edited Tue, 16 September 2008 at 3:40 PM

Second that. Letting a boiler go dry is a very bad thing. I believe the same still holds quite true for modern turbine systems and even on the secondary side of steam generators for nuclear implementations using "hot rocks" as the heat. (Can even be more tricky if there's a condensing side on the circuit, but I don't think the old steam engines had to worry about too much water and vacuum problems.)

Barbequed Pixels?

Your friendly neighborhood Wings3D nut.
Also feel free to browse my freebies at ShareCG.
There might be something worth downloading.

TheBryster ( ) posted Fri, 19 September 2008 at 2:54 PM · edited Fri, 19 September 2008 at 2:58 PM
Forum Moderator

Having served my apprenticeship in the Merchant Navy, I know about steam and water levels etc and I thank you guys for your insight. The thing is that brass level thing seems to have nothing attached to it. Anyway, here's the next update. C&Cs welcome as always.

kiwi_gg ( ) posted Fri, 19 September 2008 at 9:34 PM

Brilliant !!!! How are the file sizes looking?

Cheers
GG

TheBryster ( ) posted Sun, 21 September 2008 at 12:15 PM
Forum Moderator

The cab is 170mb and Bryce is NOT happy. I keep getting error access exceptions and then Bryce crashes before the file loads up into Bryce....or something like that. I've even installed a clean version of Bryce and that won't load it either.

kiwi_gg ( ) posted Sun, 21 September 2008 at 4:23 PM

Just a thought, (yes it was painful), are you able to export as a mesh then bring it back in and still work on it or does that not have any effect on the file size. I don't know as I've never tried that.

Cheers
GG

TheBryster ( ) posted Sun, 21 September 2008 at 4:47 PM
Forum Moderator

Well if I can't open the file..........

kiwi_gg ( ) posted Sun, 21 September 2008 at 5:03 PM

Duhhhh!!!!!!!  

Cheers
GG

dhama ( ) posted Thu, 02 October 2008 at 1:55 AM

Keep the inspiration coming mate, I just hope the next Bryce update will correct that damned memory limitation.
I've had problems converting some things, as the result usually crashed Bryce, so I just don't convert anymore.

Rayraz ( ) posted Thu, 02 October 2008 at 2:50 AM

did you try to move the file and its bitmaps to a directory closer to the root of the drive? it might just be messing up because of file paths longer then 256 chars

(_/)
(='.'=)
(")

TheBryster ( ) posted Thu, 02 October 2008 at 1:51 PM
Forum Moderator

Oh Bugger!  I just remebered something. Thanks, Ray!

There's problem with some texture names being too long. This goes way back I think.

You can't make part, object or mat/texture names too long.

50parsecs ( ) posted Thu, 02 October 2008 at 3:30 PM

You've done a lot of very fine modeling on your project. I hope you're able to finish it. Good luck.

Rayraz ( ) posted Thu, 02 October 2008 at 3:50 PM

hope that fixes it :)

(_/)
(='.'=)
(")

pauljs75 ( ) posted Fri, 03 October 2008 at 7:00 PM

32 characters if I remember right, and that goes back to the Corel Bryce 4 days - if not older. But once you get that resolved, keep the progress coming. I want to see this actually get completed.

Barbequed Pixels?

Your friendly neighborhood Wings3D nut.
Also feel free to browse my freebies at ShareCG.
There might be something worth downloading.

TheBryster ( ) posted Sat, 04 October 2008 at 3:40 AM
Forum Moderator

*I want to see this actually get completed.

*Slave Driver!!!

TheBryster ( ) posted Sat, 04 October 2008 at 7:35 AM · edited Sat, 04 October 2008 at 7:37 AM
Forum Moderator

Concentrating on the firebox door shields and mounting brackets now. Also adjusting the .mats to give this a more 'used' look.

Rayraz ( ) posted Sat, 04 October 2008 at 7:37 AM

ooh does that mean it works again? :D wicked!

(_/)
(='.'=)
(")

TheBryster ( ) posted Sat, 04 October 2008 at 7:38 AM
Forum Moderator

Yes, Ray. It's as tricky as hell, but it works.
C&Cs welcome as always.

TheBryster ( ) posted Sat, 04 October 2008 at 9:49 AM
Forum Moderator

@ 50p : Nice of you to say so.

Ang25 ( ) posted Sat, 04 October 2008 at 1:27 PM

Very Awesome. I'm so glad that you got it to open again.

Ang25 ( ) posted Sat, 04 October 2008 at 1:27 PM

Very Awesome. I'm so glad that you got it to open again.

TheBryster ( ) posted Thu, 09 October 2008 at 9:02 AM
Forum Moderator

Furnace door shield.

Rayraz ( ) posted Thu, 09 October 2008 at 9:31 AM

spiffy!

(_/)
(='.'=)
(")

skiwillgee ( ) posted Thu, 09 October 2008 at 5:14 PM

ohmygosh, Bryster, i'm beginning to think it would be easier to buy a metal shop, build the real thing and just take a photo. 

Your patience and perseverance is amazing.  Truly amazing and worthy of awards and praise.

johnyf ( ) posted Thu, 09 October 2008 at 8:13 PM

Great job, it's really taking shape!

TheBryster ( ) posted Fri, 10 October 2008 at 2:34 PM · edited Fri, 10 October 2008 at 2:43 PM
Forum Moderator

Right hand door fitted. All your C&Cs are greatly appreciated.![](http://www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/art/emoticons/thumbup.gif)

4,169 objects
7,102,409 polys

TheBryster ( ) posted Tue, 04 November 2008 at 7:54 AM
Forum Moderator

Just a heads-up. I won't be doing any work on this for a while as I'm about to have my HDD rebuilt in the hope that this will solve some issues I'm having with Bryce.

Thank you for your interest.

jrcejaspulido ( ) posted Tue, 04 November 2008 at 3:00 PM

You are doing an "epic" work, so you must take a rest from time to time.
I hope you can solve the Bryce problems.

Rayraz ( ) posted Thu, 06 November 2008 at 2:01 PM

good luck on rebuilding your harddrive

(_/)
(='.'=)
(")

bobbystahr ( ) posted Sun, 28 December 2008 at 12:29 PM

Hoping this gets us back to the top of the forum with this.. ...

Once in a while I look around,
I see a sound
and try to write it down
Sometimes they come out very soft
Tinkling light sound
The Sun comes up again

TheBryster ( ) posted Sun, 28 December 2008 at 1:59 PM
Forum Moderator

Well my harddrive is back together again and Santa got me a nice 1 terrabyte hdd to go with it, along with a new m/s keyboard which is really the cat's backend/greased silk/kinda thingy. So now that data storage is no longer a problem....everything being backed up onto the 1TB, I should be able to do some flipping work.

Thanks for the help Bobby.

Boofy ( ) posted Sun, 11 January 2009 at 7:31 PM

Whoot! WTG Brycie! Just popped back in to annoy....er....say hi and look at your wonderful progress. looking awsome there, great stuff.

ian_colette ( ) posted Sun, 11 January 2009 at 8:55 PM

Since I live in York, & work just a couple of hundred yards from the National Railway Museum, I'd be happy to take any pics you might need, but unfortunately there isn't much to see at the moment, since it's in bits undergoing a full restoration, & isn't likely to be complete before 2010 :(

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.