Tue, Oct 22, 3:32 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Vue

Welcome to the Vue Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, TheBryster

Vue F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 17 8:34 am)

Subject: starting a vue rendering buisness

Zak666Williams ( ) posted Mon, 13 October 2008 at 11:00 PM · edited Tue, 22 October 2024 at 3:20 AM

got some large shots?
I'll render them for you, i want to start a Vue rendering buisness!

$10 per still (no mater the size or render time)
$15  animated shot (no mater the size or render time

Rutra ( ) posted Tue, 14 October 2008 at 3:34 AM

Just out of curiosity, some questions:

What's the rendering power you have available? I ask this because from the customer's perspective, it's completely different to pay $10 for a render you deliver in 5 minutes or a render you deliver in 5 hours or 5 days. I might be willing to pay $10 for a 5 minutes result but for sure not willing to pay the same $10 for a 5 days result.

Speaking of deliver the render result, is this service automated in your side? I ask this because if it's not automated, then the timezone you're on is a problem (you're sleeping when your customer is expecting their render results and vice-versa).

What about Cornucopia protected content? Do you have an agreement with them? If not, you will not be able to render scenes with this content, unless you bought it yourself.

How are the files exchanged with your service? Many scene files have hundreds of MB and if your bandwidth is not very high, this will take a very long time.

What version of Vue do you have? If you have any less than 6.6 Infinite, then this will bring heavy restrictions on the scenes that you can render.

bruno021 ( ) posted Tue, 14 October 2008 at 6:10 AM

And how about a 5mn animation in HD that might take a month to render for 15$, are you sure? How many rendercows/machines do you have? What are their specs? How do you guarantee the files that are sent to render are safe from curiosity and copy?

estherau ( ) posted Tue, 14 October 2008 at 6:57 AM

It sounds really really good to me!!!!
 I like the sound of a cheap fee and knowing how much I will be up for in case the file doesn't work or takes longer than anticipated.  I will certainly use your business providing it doesn't take weeks and weeks to render.
Love esther

MY ONLINE COMIC IS NOW LIVE

I aim to update it about once a month.  Oh, and it's free!

Zak666Williams ( ) posted Tue, 14 October 2008 at 4:24 PM

I've got 147gig of ram, Vue pro studio, I'm doing some render tests stills will take around 10 hours.
(big stills) I'm rendering a fully animated protractal terrain ocean to see the animation time.

What about Cornucopia protected content?
i intend to contact them latter on today i do not intend to steal peoples work, i just want to help people with low pc power to render there images faster.

(I'll download your scenes from 2am to 10am)

I'll get back to you mates after i've rended this ocean and i'll put iot up on youtube

bruno021 ( ) posted Tue, 14 October 2008 at 4:47 PM

I wasn't saying you might steal people's work yourself, but how about your network's safety? Can you ensure that noone else but the user will get his work? And ram isn't the only specs you need to tell, but how many CPUs?
You need to think this really well, or you may lose money.

ksanderson ( ) posted Tue, 14 October 2008 at 5:18 PM

I'd hate to see your electric bill. It's nice that you're offering it, but I think you are opening up yourself to be taken advantage of. Check out RenderTitan and the Ranch, two services that will do small and large Vue renders affordably, if you haven't already.

Zak666Williams ( ) posted Wed, 15 October 2008 at 12:01 AM

true.
I'm not realy in this to make a lot of money but to help people render their images/animations
so i don't care of people taking adventage of this opertunity.

I'm thinking about changing the price but not by much,
$15 per still
$15 per day on animation.

(my computer has duel core)

you pay by paypal,
when i start your render I'll send you a printscrean on how long it will take.
(so you know how much you are going to pay)

Rutra ( ) posted Wed, 15 October 2008 at 2:58 AM

You wrote your computer has dual core. Do you mean you have only one computer?

Zak666Williams ( ) posted Wed, 15 October 2008 at 3:02 AM

yes i have one computer

Jonj1611 ( ) posted Wed, 15 October 2008 at 3:41 AM · edited Wed, 15 October 2008 at 3:42 AM

I would probably stop now, you don't have anywhere near enough computing power, and people won't want to wait days for there render to finish.

You have one computer but 147GB of ram? You know thats impossible right?

Its nice you want to help people but its just not viable, one dual core processor and I guess a standard internet connection, what do you do if 2 people want to render large stills? I could send you a still right now that will take about 4 days on my quad core, so it will take longer on your computer, that 2nd person might be waiting 4/5 days just to get there render started, people pay for render services normally when they need things quickly. 

Also what about the people with Vue 6 Infinite, you won't be able to render any of there stuff if they use Vue 6 Infinite only features.

If you are thinking about starting a render service, go to the bank, get a loan and buy servers or lots of computers, get a decent business class internet connection, get some render server control software and then take a shot at it.

Like I said nice idea but its flawed in many many ways.

Jon

DA Portfolio - http://jonj1611.daportfolio.com/

garyandcatherine ( ) posted Sat, 18 October 2008 at 10:24 AM

Terribly flawed.  He not only doesn't have a firm grasp on the simple outline of his plan, but also has no idea of what is inside his computer......if it is even his.  I do hope he gets this ironed out as it is a very generous gesture.  But until then, BUYER BEWARE!

TwelfthSword ( ) posted Wed, 22 October 2008 at 6:36 AM

I hope i'm not going to stir up the nest again, but I have been thinking of a similar idea for a while now.  To 'rent' my small rendercow farm out to people cheaply, as i'm not really using it a lot at the moment.  I have 23ghz of rendering power (2 core duos, a quad and an AMD64). 

If anyones interested i'll say 1c (aud) per gigahert hour.  So effectively you would be 'renting' my 23ghz renderfarm for 23 cents an hour, which is, if you look around, incredibly cheap.  However,  this is only for a trial run.

Oh one other thing.  If you feel that you have waited too long for the render, you get it free.  Again, only for the trial run.

If your interested send me an email: paul at chromesphere dot com for more information.

CS

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.