Sun, Oct 6, 6:19 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 05 8:40 pm)

Subject: At risk of sounding like a complete tool...

HeraShort ( ) posted Sun, 19 October 2008 at 6:09 AM · edited Fri, 02 August 2024 at 1:59 AM

How do I "Load victoria 4 into the scene"? As a matter of fact how to I "install it to a runtime in poser"? I am pretty much at my wits end. I am of course, totally new to this, but I know I like making skins for things and know that victoria 4 is the "industry standard" and know a fair bit about how her skins and such work. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am seriously a "day 1" poser user and don't get it at all. If anybody has true beginner tutorials that would be highly greatly awesomely appreciated also.
Thanks lots in advance!

IsaoShi ( ) posted Sun, 19 October 2008 at 6:29 AM · edited Sun, 19 October 2008 at 6:30 AM

First a quick summary - there will be lots of detail on its way...

1. Use the DAZ Installer to install the V4 package into your Poser Runtime (the simplest place to install it for now). When asked the install location, choose the Poser program folder. On Windows, it would be for example, C:Program FilesPoser 7 (if you have Poser 7). This will install the V4.2 package into the Runtime sub-folder, which is where it has to go. DO NOT choose the Runtime folder itself, but the one above it.

2. In Poser, view the Libraries palette, go to the top level and make sure the Poser default library is active (red dot). Click on Figures, find the DAZ People folder, open it, and double click V4.2.

That should at least get you started... but come back again if any problems!

"If I were a shadow, I know I wouldn't like to be half of what I should be."
Mr Otsuka, the old black tomcat in Kafka on the Shore (Haruki Murakami)

HeraShort ( ) posted Sun, 19 October 2008 at 6:44 AM

Well... I got further this time but it wont install v4 into the "poser pro" folder  because it says i need to install it where my executable file is. Any advice there? heh Thank you so much for helping btw.

hborre ( ) posted Sun, 19 October 2008 at 6:59 AM

The solution is easy.  Your V4 installer is looking for 'Poser.exe' which doesn't exist in Poser Pro.  V4 was released before the Poser Pro version.  Open your notepod program and create a txt file.  Type something, then save.  Rename that file Poser.exe and place it into the Poser Pro folder where 'PoserPro.exe' resides.  Reinstall your V4.  It should see 'Poser.exe' and install correctly.

HeraShort ( ) posted Sun, 19 October 2008 at 7:09 AM

Now where will she be? I did all this =( I still am not finding V4 cries

kalon ( ) posted Sun, 19 October 2008 at 8:19 AM

@ HeraShort

I apologize if this information is too basic, but you did say you were a day 1 Poser user... I'm on Poser 7 so if it's different in PoserPro someone jump in and correct me.

Do you have a palette along the right side of your screen that says "library"?
If not, go to Window on the menu bar, click and select Library

Once the library is opened, you will probably be faced with the 8 categories that determine Poser file types. The uppermost one is "figures", click figures and you should find all the default Poser figure models. One of the trays should be named (and I'm sorry here, I've moved things about so I don't recall the exact name), DAZ people or DAZ Victoria 4, in short it should have "DAZ" in the name. Open that category and you should find Victoria 4.

kalonart.com

Acadia ( ) posted Sun, 19 October 2008 at 8:31 AM

Here is a new user essay for poser :)

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/showthread.php?thread_id=2735068&page=1#message_3201624

Here is a new user essay about organization:

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/showthread.php?message_id=3251565&ebot_calc_page#message_3251565

And to go along with the organization, here is a tutorial that was done regarding "External Runtimes" as they can be quite confusing if you are not familiar with the file structure:

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/showthread.php?thread_id=2750159

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi

HeraShort ( ) posted Sun, 19 October 2008 at 8:51 AM

Thats the problem. I have these categories but i don't have a "Daz People" one. =( It's making me really angry and I have no idea why it's not working. Also, thanks for the tutorials! Hope i get this soon I'm starting to feel dumb.

HeraShort ( ) posted Sun, 19 October 2008 at 9:09 AM

Ok I got v4 to show up now. BUT Now i see her covered in a weird griddy meshy thing. Any idea how to get rid of that? 

kalon ( ) posted Sun, 19 October 2008 at 9:19 AM

On the menu Display --> Document Style --> Texture Shaded

kalonart.com

hborre ( ) posted Sun, 19 October 2008 at 10:32 AM

I can see this is going to be a long hand-holding process.  Hang in there.

IsaoShi ( ) posted Sun, 19 October 2008 at 10:42 AM

Nearly everything that we regard as 'not working' when we first encounter it turns out to be due to our lack of knowledge about using Poser, and of course about its quirks and limitations.

Like hborre says, hang in there, don't cry or get angry :O)... we've all been through it, so it's not you. But it's a very complex program, and I would strongly advise learning the basics from the manual or starter tutorial (both included with the installed software, or downloadable from SM), or one of the tutorials that Acadia gave links to.

You will always get answers here, but it will often take longer.

Good luck!

LostinSpaceman ( ) posted Sun, 19 October 2008 at 12:05 PM

I highly reccommend clicking on Acadia's tutorial links. They'll answer so many of your questions you won't feel like a tool any more.

IsaoShi ( ) posted Sun, 19 October 2008 at 12:22 PM

OT: what is this expression... to sound / feel "like a tool"?
What sort of tool would that be?
Am I missing a definition of the word 'tool' from my vocabulary?
Please help out an innocent, naive anglo-japanese lady here.

LostinSpaceman ( ) posted Sun, 19 October 2008 at 12:30 PM

tool = Youthful American slang for "Idiot". It's been around for a while, but I usually only hear young guy's using the term.

hborre ( ) posted Sun, 19 October 2008 at 12:31 PM

'Tool', in American slang, would signify useless or mindless.  It would also mean being taken advantage of or being used. 

MadameX ( ) posted Sun, 19 October 2008 at 1:43 PM

Quote - 'Tool', in American slang, would signify useless or mindless.  It would also mean being taken advantage of or being used. 

I must be seriously behind on my slang. Here I was thinking he/she had simply mistyped 't' for 'f'. LOL!

manoloz ( ) posted Sun, 19 October 2008 at 3:14 PM

Quote - > Quote - 'Tool', in American slang, would signify useless or mindless.  It would also mean being taken advantage of or being used. 

I must be seriously behind on my slang. Here I was thinking he/she had simply mistyped 't' for 'f'. LOL!

agreed

still hooked to real life and enjoying the siesta!
Visit my blog! :D
Visit my portfolio! :D

HeraShort ( ) posted Sun, 19 October 2008 at 3:20 PM

Thanks very much for the help guys. Got v4 loaded finally and fell asleep giggle  So maybe I will get productive and the cats won't be so afraid to come around me. 

IsaoShi ( ) posted Sun, 19 October 2008 at 4:03 PM

Quote - 'Tool', in American slang, would signify useless or mindless.  It would also mean being taken advantage of or being used. 

Ah, I understand now. It's another word for 'president'. Dōmo, hborre-san.

kalon ( ) posted Sun, 19 October 2008 at 7:33 PM

Quote - Ah, I understand now. It's another word for 'president'. Dōmo, hborre-san.

No, I don't think you get it yet, or you wouldn't be making such an inappropriate comment.

kalonart.com

HeraShort ( ) posted Mon, 20 October 2008 at 3:18 AM

I think that's the other definition Isao. Inappropriate or not =P

urbanarmitage ( ) posted Mon, 20 October 2008 at 6:38 AM

Well, where I come from (South Africa) it's a very negative slang reference to the male sexual organ. I guess there really are differences between cultures! :biggrin:

UA

IsaoShi ( ) posted Mon, 20 October 2008 at 12:21 PM

Oh dear me, I quipped inappropriately. So sorry.
I'll just sit here quietly now and wait for the assassins.
:O)

pakled ( ) posted Tue, 21 October 2008 at 8:31 AM

s'ok...there's probably a web site comparing what phrases mean in different countries. 'Knock you up' has a much milder connotation in the UK, while 'shagging' is dancing to beach music (sped-up soul) in NC...;)

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

Bone-Idol ( ) posted Wed, 29 October 2008 at 7:09 PM

Quote - First a quick summary - there will be lots of detail on its way...

1. Use the DAZ Installer to install the V4 package into your Poser Runtime (the simplest place to install it for now). When asked the install location, choose the Poser program folder. On Windows, it would be for example, C:Program FilesPoser 7 (if you have Poser 7). This will install the V4.2 package into the Runtime sub-folder, which is where it has to go. DO NOT choose the Runtime folder itself, but the one above it.

2. In Poser, view the Libraries palette, go to the top level and make sure the Poser default library is active (red dot). Click on Figures, find the DAZ People folder, open it, and double click V4.2.

That should at least get you started... but come back again if any problems!

Aahhh.....my first post...just trying to savour the moment, so that years from now I can get all nostalgic over it!

Anyway, as another "day one" noob I'd just like to give a huge "thank you" for the above post...I've been randomly trying to install various bits of Victoria's anatomy in the lost hope that something magical will happen...I know, I know...pathetic isn't it? But their is a point just beyond normal desperation where the brain just shuts down.

Anyway, I'm one of the good noobs, so I thought I'd have a good trawl through the forum before bothering you with what seems a kinda dumb question when compared to some of the technical stuff the rest of you ask...and I found this! Works perfectly now- many, many thanks!!! :0)

Anyway, I didn't jump straight at Victoria, though the temtation to spend several zombified hours resizing and reshaping her breasts over and over was kinda overwelming... I've messed around with reposing and reshaping Jessi  (remodelled the face a bit too) and have even created multilayered hair for her - not bad for my first day! So hopefully I won't be bugging you all with too many daft questions...

Hope I haven't committed thread-necromancy here- and hello to all!

Nance ( ) posted Thu, 30 October 2008 at 4:43 PM

been here for (ACK!) 10 years - & still picking up "nubie" stuff I just skipped over along the way.

IsaoShi ( ) posted Thu, 30 October 2008 at 5:08 PM

Hello, Bone-Idol...
It's always nice to hear that a quick explanation has such a positive outcome for someone. We've all been there, and as Granny Nance said there are always new things to learn, so I say "bug away"!
Happy rendering!
Izi

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.