Sat, Sep 21, 5:39 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 21 1:47 am)

Subject: Poser wouldn't load/happened twice

picnic ( ) posted Wed, 22 September 1999 at 8:20 AM ยท edited Sat, 21 September 2024 at 5:34 AM

I'm not sure if this is a Poser problem, a Windows problem or my problem. This has happened twice. Last night it was out of the blue. I had dl Queen Amidala and was trying to load but had forgotten to convert the texture to .bmp (which it asked for). Poser would NOT load, would not cancel texture, just crashed. I used the usual (alt./cont./del) to close. When I tried to load Poser again, it just sort of 'rolled' the monitor (hard to describe-just a sort of flash and nothing). I tried a variety of things, looked at the Poser folder-all seemed well. I'm assuming something may have become corrupted, but I'm no techie, so don't know. This happened awhile ago also-can't remember the particulars-wish I did. The first time I was concerned that after uninstalling, I would lose my library, but did not, so I wasn't as concerned last night. Still-its a royal pain. Has this happened to anyone else? Any corrective measures to take so it won't happen again? Diane

RadArt ( ) posted Wed, 22 September 1999 at 8:35 AM

Testing...

RadArt ( ) posted Wed, 22 September 1999 at 8:39 AM

Figures, now it works!! What the "devil" is going on?? I posted two prior messages here and neither is showing up after loading them???? Yes Diane, this has happened to me also. Seems that poser 4 wants to find certain textures for certain characters, (ones I had used in poser 3). I usually can get it to stop hiccupping after hitting cancel, but once in a while it will lock up so I too have to alt/ctrl/del.

picnic ( ) posted Wed, 22 September 1999 at 9:33 AM

Well, Radart, what I'm really asking is (don't we ALL have to alt/ctrl/del?), if you have had Poser refuse to load and have to reinstall-and if this happens after locking up--or if this has only happened to me. Either using the Poser shortcut or actually going to Poser and using the .exe-neither way was I able to get Poser (the application-not a particular texture) to load. Diane

Tygerlander ( ) posted Wed, 22 September 1999 at 11:54 AM

Diane, I've had this happen with a bunch of stuff that required a texture that I didn't have or didn't convert. When Poser refuses to load it's the poser.rsr that's been corrupted. Instead of doing a full reinstall all the time, I've learned to keep a backup copy of the poser.rsr in another folder and copy paste it back when poser decides to be bad. You'll also notice that when you do that the file sizes are different from the bad one and the back up one. An aside from this, I was nosy last night and opened a .cr2 file in wordpad and saw a ref to a texture all the way at the bottom. Being a fraidy cat, I didn't want to test what happens if I delete that line. Has anyone else did anything with this? The long way around with naming an arbitrary image to the texture file that is needed is getting tedious at times. It makes me feel like a tech more than an artist =^/ Tina

JohnW ( ) posted Wed, 22 September 1999 at 11:56 AM

Do you have a default figure still? My Poser has an empty default scene, so there's nothing to lose. You may want to set it up so the preferred.pz3 (or whatever it's really called. I'm not at my Poser m/c right now) has no figures or anything in it to avoid this.

picnic ( ) posted Wed, 22 September 1999 at 12:08 PM

Hmm, JohnW, I don't think you're understanding my problem. No, I don't use a default figure. I have mine set up to open with no figure, white background, 400 x 400. What I'm saying is--Poser, the application--would not load-just as if the application didn't exist on my HD. I don't lose anything in this situation (well, perhaps I would if I was working on a scene, but I learned right from the beginning to save quite often while working). Tina-are you referring to the .rsr that resides right next to my Poser.exe? Well, that's a TERRIFIC tip. Thanks a lot. I'm going to do that right now. Diane B.

Tygerlander ( ) posted Wed, 22 September 1999 at 12:32 PM

Diane, Yeah, that one. I knew I forgot a detail somewhere =^D. Good luck in getting Poser back in working order Tina

picnic ( ) posted Wed, 22 September 1999 at 12:40 PM

Oh, it is working-I reinstalled last night. Just wanted to try and figure out a way to keep from having it happen again-or finding an easy way to deal with it. Your tip sounds like exactly the easiest way. I also think maybe I wasn't clear. I meant that Poser wouldn't load up after the alt/cntr/del and so I had to uninstall and reinstall. A pain-your little tip will mean I won't have to uninstall and reinstall when I find that Poser won't load from the current .exe. Diane B.

wyrwulf ( ) posted Wed, 22 September 1999 at 7:18 PM

I keep running into this problem with downloaded figures, too. I haven't had a big crash yet, but it is a real pain when Poser is looking for texture maps that aren't included or are in the wrong format with no "readme.txt" to tell us what is what. I have downloaded a few figures that had been saved with "no texture" in the render options, with the texture maps included with the downloads. That makes it much easier and I really appreciate it. You don't have to rename anything, add it to a special folder, or anything. That makes it easy to play with the character and get rid if it if you don't like it without having to remember where what files went.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.