Mon, Sep 23, 5:27 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 23 4:09 am)

Subject: How To Find.....

3DLoki ( ) posted Sun, 19 October 2008 at 3:21 PM · edited Mon, 23 September 2024 at 5:25 AM

I've run into a big snag and could use a hand...

For some reason almost half of the scenes I create and save in Poser 7 will not reopen once saved, instead it just crashes poser. The result is a lot of lost model / texture combos, now I have the task of trying to re-create some of those lost files.

IS there a way (easy or hard) I can FIND what texture files were used in a PMD or PZ3 file?

Also, is there a way to stop the saving issue? did I miss an important upgrade, or is this just a known bug?

-Teron-

Acadia ( ) posted Sun, 19 October 2008 at 3:38 PM · edited Sun, 19 October 2008 at 3:45 PM

Are you using "Use External BInary Morph Targets" in your preferences? If so, go to "Edit" and "General Preferences" and uncheck the "Use External Binary Morph Targets".

Also, go into your Application Data area and delete your Poser Cache.

Find your preference files, make a back up just in case, then delete them. They will be in a folder something like:-

C:Documents and SettingsAdministratorApplication DataPoser 7

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi

Acadia ( ) posted Sun, 19 October 2008 at 3:43 PM

Here is another thread where someone was having the same issue.

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/showthread.php?message_id=3283787&ebot_calc_page#message_3283787

Apparently turning off the Binary stuff will allow you to open the scene, but any morphs you had are lost, but those can be reapplied.

3DLoki ( ) posted Sun, 19 October 2008 at 3:48 PM

Quote - Are you using "Use External BInary Morph Targets" in your preferences? If so, go to "Edit" and "General Preferences" and uncheck the "Use External Binary Morph Targets".

Also, go into your Application Data area and delete your Poser Cache.

I unchecked the "Use External Binary Morph Targets" have not tried to open one of the "broken files" yet BUT when I navigated to my Poser Cache folder, I damn near fainted lol, 14.9 gigs in there lol, It's sad to say, but I NEVER even knew that folder exsisted, and I've been using Poser for many years now lol.

Speaking of which, there seems to be TWO poser folders in my "Temp/Cache" section.....

Located in: C:UsersLokiAppDataLocalTemp

POSER 7 (14.9 gigs)
PoserRenderCache (27mb)

Should I delete the contents of both folders or JUST the Poser 7 folder?

-Teron-

Acadia ( ) posted Sun, 19 October 2008 at 3:55 PM · edited Sun, 19 October 2008 at 3:57 PM

IMHO a cache is s temporary file and not needed for the use of the program. And things in a "temp" folder are just that...temporary.  If it were me I would delete both, but if you are leary you may want to wait and get a second opinion.

3DLoki ( ) posted Sun, 19 October 2008 at 4:00 PM

Quote - IMHO a cache is s temporary file and not needed for the use of the program. And things in a "temp" folder are just that...temporary.  If it were me I would delete both, but if you are leary you may want to wait and get a second opinion.

I agree with you 100% on that, heck had I have known about the temp folders I would have been cleaning them on a reg basis from the get go.]

However, I've deleted both folders, unchecked the box, restarted poser, and STILL I'm not able to open the "broken" files, so I'm back to my first issue/question

"Is there a way for me to open the PZR or PMD files and find out what textures were used in them so I can attempt to recreate the broken files?"

So far the only good news is I now have an extra 15 gigs on this render box lol

-Teron-

Acadia ( ) posted Sun, 19 October 2008 at 4:07 PM

Did you also delete the preference file?  I believe it's an .xml file.

Adom ( ) posted Sun, 19 October 2008 at 4:14 PM

PZ3 you can open with any text editor. If you really want to find all your textures that way then start "find" function and type:
file
check "match whole words only" if you got that option.

nruddock ( ) posted Sun, 19 October 2008 at 4:27 PM

If you follow the links in the thread mentioned above, you'll end up here -> http://www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/showthread.php?thread_id=2717864
You must delete the PMD file associated with the problem PZ3 file.

Unchecking the "Use external binary morph targets" option only affects the creation of PMD files, it does not affect (attempting) reading of them when referenced by another file.

3DLoki ( ) posted Sun, 19 October 2008 at 4:34 PM

Quote - PZ3 you can open with any text editor. If you really want to find all your textures that way then start "find" function and type:
file
check "match whole words only" if you got that option.

BINGO, we have a winner :) Thanks allot :)

I had opened both the PZ3 and PMD files in wordpad, and I kind of just scanned through them, but I was a bit overwhelmed with the binary/code/text that I saw lol

and for people who may have this same prob in the future let me add to your solution....

(1) Open the PZ3 file in Wordpad
(2) Start "Find"
(3) Type: ":
(4) find your textures

Viola

Now it's time for me to get back to work lol

Again thanks for all the help :)

-Teron-

Adom ( ) posted Sun, 19 October 2008 at 4:50 PM

OMG!! :)
Maybe it's not too late yet:
do as nruddock said first: delete PMD files associated with broken PZ3 files (you will loose only morphs that way, all textures will be in place). Next try to open those PZ3 in poser if you are lucky Poser will tell you that PMD is missing and blabla and you just click what is needed to stop poser from looking for PMD (dont remember now what that dialog box says) and you get those csenes back - but no morphs.
If you are not lucky then.... well you can spend one night for looking for all textures inside PZ3:)

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.