Fri, Sep 20, 4:45 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Photoshop

Welcome to the Photoshop Forum

Forum Moderators: Wolfenshire, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Photoshop F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 10:49 pm)

Our mission is to provide an open community and unique environment where anyone interested in learning more about Adobe Photoshop can share their experience and knowledge, post their work for review and critique by their peers, and learn new techniques while developing the skills that allow each individual to realize their own unique artistic vision. We do not limit this forum to any style of work, and we strongly encourage people of all levels and interests to participate.

Are you up to the challenge??
Sharpen your Photoshop skill with this monthly challenge...

Checkout the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: CS3 problem

thefixer ( ) posted Thu, 02 October 2008 at 7:07 AM · edited Thu, 15 August 2024 at 3:35 AM

Ran Adobe updater yesterday and now I've having probs with the crop tool. it won't crop and dumps a 120Gig temp file onto my "C" drive and stops responding and then I have to shut it down but it stays in the running processes tab so won't restart until I reboot the computer, anyone else had this problem!!!
I have a back up I could use but would rather not if there's a quicker explanation/fix!!
TIA!!

Injustice will be avenged.
Cofiwch Dryweryn.

ARTWITHIN ( ) posted Thu, 02 October 2008 at 7:31 AM

I have the crop tool problem too, with CS3 Mac version.  I don't know the solution , it will probably be taken care of when i get the OK to download the CS4 upgrade.

“Music is harmony, harmony is perfection, perfection is our dream, and our dream is heaven”
Henri Frederic Amiel

thefixer ( ) posted Thu, 02 October 2008 at 8:06 AM

Well that's strange you having it too!
This only started for me this morning, I use the crop tool regular for doing thumbs for here, just got no chance now and I don't know where this massive 120Gig temp file comes from, except it arrives after trying the crop tool, any ideas on that??
I have to delete it manually otehrwise my HD says I've only got 40Gigs left when I know I have 209 actual left before using the crop tool!!
Looks like I'll have to do a restore from my backup and see if that fixes it!!
TIA!!

Cofiwch Dryweryn.

ARTWITHIN ( ) posted Thu, 02 October 2008 at 8:27 AM · edited Thu, 02 October 2008 at 8:28 AM

My problem began after the last update, but I can't be sure the update was the cause sibce I don't use crop that much.

You can make thumbs without the crop tool, but it takes more steps.

Set up a new file preset of 199 x 199 px, 72 dpi.
After you save the original file, close it.
Open your new file preset.
Place your image file on the new file.
You can enlarge it using the corner handles, and move it over the file page however you want.
Then select File ->Save for web.
Adjust your file size (Quality) to less than 15 KB
Save to a location of your choice.
Ater you upload to Renderosity, you can delete it.

“Music is harmony, harmony is perfection, perfection is our dream, and our dream is heaven”
Henri Frederic Amiel

thefixer ( ) posted Thu, 02 October 2008 at 9:46 AM

The problem with that method is that sometimes the image might have nudity so I can't do a thumb that way because of Rendo's rules on nudity in thumbs!! That's why I use the crop tool, I don't really want to do a restore from back up but it's looking more likely that, that is the only way to resolve it!
Is there an option anywhere to roll back the last update?? That option is available in Vue, can't remember seeing it in CS3 though!!

Cofiwch Dryweryn.

ejn ( ) posted Thu, 02 October 2008 at 9:57 AM

You could use the rectangle marquee tool to select just a head if its got nudity then start a new file and paste and run the result thru "save for web devices"
Might help while you sort out what sounds like it would wreck my system  

ARTWITHIN ( ) posted Thu, 02 October 2008 at 4:18 PM

You can enlarge your image in Save for Web (devices), and also reposition it so no nudity appears within the 199 x 199 px canvas on the screen.  Just drag the corner handles, or drag the image depending on what you are doing.  Only the part on the screen canvas appears in the file.  It works great for me.

Henri Frederic Amiel

thefixer ( ) posted Thu, 02 October 2008 at 4:45 PM

ok thanx everyone, I've asked the question at Adobe support too!!

Cofiwch Dryweryn.

ARTWITHIN ( ) posted Thu, 02 October 2008 at 5:09 PM

Would you please let us know what Adobe support says?

Henri Frederic Amiel

thefixer ( ) posted Fri, 03 October 2008 at 1:46 AM

Yea sure, no problem!!

Cofiwch Dryweryn.

retrocity ( ) posted Fri, 03 October 2008 at 11:43 AM

fixer what's your OS (i assume since you used the term "my 'c' drive" you're on a PC)

i know there is an issue with MAC Leopard...

scott

thefixer ( ) posted Fri, 03 October 2008 at 12:31 PM

I'm running Vista Ultimate 64, I never had this issue until 2 days ago just after running Adobe updater, I did also try a new Nvidia driver but that screwed up on installation, aproblem with their code I think because it tells me I don't have a 64 bit system [LOL].
So either it was the adobe updater or the nvidia driver screwed something, I did reinstall the previous Nvidia driver though so I'm thinking that's not the issue!!

They have come back with a host of stuff to try that I'll have a go at this weekend, re-doing the prefs being the first step, failing that I have a ghost back up of my pc done a couple of weeks back, I'll just put that in, that won't be an issue because I haven't put much new stuff in lately, it'll just mean updating my AV and such, but not adobe!!! [LOL].

Cofiwch Dryweryn.

ARTWITHIN ( ) posted Fri, 03 October 2008 at 6:13 PM

Thanks.  I will try the preferences redo and if that doesn't work, I hope the upgrade will do the trick.

It always seemed that when a new major Win app upgrade came out there was so irritating problem that would show up in the older version.  I've wondered if some little bomb comes via an update just prior to the release of an upgrade.

Call me paranoid, but it seems to be pretty consistent. 

Henri Frederic Amiel

thefixer ( ) posted Sat, 04 October 2008 at 2:03 AM

LOl, yea you and me both!!

Cofiwch Dryweryn.

thefixer ( ) posted Sat, 04 October 2008 at 4:46 AM

**OK problem solved, it seems it was indeed a corrupted prefs file!!

**Deleted the prefs file, relaunched CS3 and the issue was gone, I'm a happy chappy again!!!!

Cofiwch Dryweryn.

ARTWITHIN_II ( ) posted Sat, 04 October 2008 at 4:54 AM

Thanks so much for sharing the answer.  I for one really appreciate it.

retrocity ( ) posted Sat, 04 October 2008 at 8:45 PM

i should probably have mentioned, whenever PS get wonky it's a safe bet if you delete your PREF it  fixes it up. 

Samsung12z ( ) posted Wed, 22 October 2008 at 6:02 PM · edited Wed, 22 October 2008 at 6:02 PM

When I upload a partiular file,  I got a "Could not complete your request because the file is not compatible with this version of Photoshop." sign I scan the file and nothing was wrong. I need an answer.

bonestructure ( ) posted Thu, 23 October 2008 at 12:10 PM

When I got my new computer recently, the computer gut that was building it for me was real hapopy when I said I wanted Windows XP pro. Evidently even computer techs hate Vista.

To make thumbnails when I don't want the whole image, I just do as suggested and use the rectangle marquee tool to get the area I want and paste it as a new image, then save it in save for web. Seems the easiest way to me.

Talent is God's gift to you. Using it is your gift to God.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.