Tue, Oct 22, 1:02 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Vue

Welcome to the Vue Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, TheBryster

Vue F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 17 8:34 am)

Subject: Procedural surfaces

offrench ( ) posted Wed, 22 October 2008 at 5:50 AM · edited Tue, 22 October 2024 at 12:31 AM

I am in contact with Terragen user Luc Bianco and we recently discussed the merits of Vue as he owns a copy V6 and was willing to learn it. Our discussion made me realize Terragen really excels in making rocky landscapes (among many other things).

Like other programs (Mojoworld according to Luc), Terragen uses procedural surfaces.

The rocks, in the latest of Luc's images, are made with this feature

Another example from his gallery

You will note that the procedural engine is used to generate displacements in correlation with colors and other surface attributes. Displacements can occur in any direction, not only vertical like terrains.

Is there a way to achieve similar results in Vue?

I tried to make an image with a rockslide using a Vue procedural terrain, but the resolution is far from enough and large procedural terrains are a hell to work with.

So I think the trick is to use procedural displacements in materials. Do you think it could do the trick? Has anyone succeeded in getting realistic rocks this way?

Fantasy pictures, free 3d models, 3d tutorials and seamless textures on Virtual Lands.

bruno021 ( ) posted Wed, 22 October 2008 at 6:28 AM · edited Wed, 22 October 2008 at 6:28 AM

Look here
I think I have, and yes, material displacement is the key here. You can crerate fake stones this way, and use an alpha channel to place it unevenly. Material displacement goes in all directions, or you can limit it to up direction only.

offrench ( ) posted Wed, 22 October 2008 at 6:49 AM

Did you use displacement materials for this one?

Also, I am concerned about the second image. Maybe applying material displacement to large rock shaped meshes may be the path to creating overhangs such as this one?

I have tried, but the main problem is that I want large displacement features AND smaller bumps on top of it.

Fantasy pictures, free 3d models, 3d tutorials and seamless textures on Virtual Lands.

alexcoppo ( ) posted Wed, 22 October 2008 at 7:49 AM

Terragen 2 lives by procedural displacements. If you try it, you will see that in almost every node  you have at least one fractal perturbing something! The only apples to apples comparison is TG2 with Vue+displacement materials (which unfortunately on my computer means an almost sure crash, the only problem I have with Vue6).

Bye!!!

P.S.: Luc Bianco looking into Vue... hmm, quite a piece of information...

GIMP 2.7.4, Inkscape 0.48, Genetica 3.6 Basic, FilterForge 3 Professional, Blender 2.61, SketchUp 8, PoserPro 2012, Vue 10 Infinite, World Machine 2.3, GeoControl 2

bobbystahr ( ) posted Wed, 22 October 2008 at 8:58 AM

Quote -

P.S.: Luc Bianco looking into Vue... hmm, quite a piece of information...

That is quite amazing....he must have reached the point in TG2 where the frusteration has set in and is longing for a finished application, not a beta...LOL...we mustn't let this get around...heh heh heh

Once in a while I look around,
I see a sound
and try to write it down
Sometimes they come out very soft
Tinkling light sound
The Sun comes up again

bruno021 ( ) posted Wed, 22 October 2008 at 12:44 PM

Offrench, you can use the same material twice, in layers, One with displacement, the one on top of it with smaller bump. And play with opcaity.
And yes, I used displcement on the foreground terrain materials.

offrench ( ) posted Thu, 23 October 2008 at 2:17 PM

I wrote to Luc about Vue as we were discussing on one of my images. He then started to work a bit in Vue... then went back to Terragen and made this image:

Before using Terragen, Luc used Bryce, just as I did and we started exchanging emails about it. This was probably in 1999/2000.

As for the layers, I have tried a bit, but this will probably need many tries before I get what I want.

Xpleet ( ) posted Fri, 24 October 2008 at 7:55 AM · edited Fri, 24 October 2008 at 7:56 AM

Luc's work is so good, it hurts (literally).

What I'm missing in Vue are realistic fractales, yes Vue's fractals are nice but Terragen seems to have more realistic capabilities there, especially as seen in the clouds. Why can't we make thunderhead clouds with fractals using Spectral clouds?

Also, to achieve Terragen-like results you need to turn Vue's atmosphere settings upside down and I've released some atmos that achieve similiar results. Terragens atmosphere though sometimes look a little too dull and lifeless imo.

bruno021 ( ) posted Sat, 25 October 2008 at 11:26 AM

Agree with TG atmos, it's a lot harder to get dramatic lighting than in Vue.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.