Fri, Sep 20, 12:33 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 20 6:55 am)

Subject: Poser 7 crash help

wakingdreams ( ) posted Sat, 25 October 2008 at 5:46 PM · edited Fri, 20 September 2024 at 12:28 PM

I'm having an odd issue with Poser lately. Seems I am able to load characters but as soon as I move my mouse to do something with them, or adjust something the program crashes.

Sometimes it doesn't even give me a error message, it just crashes to desktop. It's starting to get really frustrating as I am trying to finish a animation I started ages ago and these crashes just make me want to throw my computer out the window.

What I have noticed is that it happens more with V4 and everytime with M4 than with other characters (though is not immune to others), and most of the time it happens, I hear my hard drive, as though it is trying to load something, or reading something, or saving something.

At first I thought it was my drivers, so I reverted back to an older driver but it still happened. Then I thought maybe it was the program so I re-installed.

I'm running Windows XP 32bit with 3GB RAM and a whole lot of hard drive space. I have all the service releases installed. My video card is a gForce 8800 GTS. Direct X is updated as well.

Any thoughts?

cheers

Morgano ( ) posted Sat, 25 October 2008 at 6:26 PM

In Display ==> Preview Drawing, do you have OpenGL Hardware selected, or SreeD Software?   If OpenGL, switch to SreeD and see if that helps.

pjz99 ( ) posted Sat, 25 October 2008 at 8:08 PM

Quote - At first I thought it was my drivers, so I reverted back to an older driver but it still happened. Then I thought maybe it was the program so I re-installed.

You are not the only one, this has started happening to me as well lately and I've taken the same kinds of steps including reinstalling Poser and rolling back to an older video driver.  I'm more than halfway to thinking conspiracy theory stuff as to why it's suddenly started to be this unstable, I've been a heavy Poser user with this config for a couple of years and it was pretty well behaved until maybe this month.  It is stable under SreeD but preview is far slower than OpenGL :/

My Freebies

richardson ( ) posted Sat, 25 October 2008 at 9:35 PM

I think it may be hardware and/or heat. Have you just added memory? 3gigs with the switch? I'd blow out the case with compressed air. Especially the power supply. Reseat all memory,,, maybe drop one gig. Poser uses a ton of power... close everything else.

Defrag,, dump temp files,,, too much to remember for me.

SAMS3D ( ) posted Sun, 26 October 2008 at 4:06 AM

I agree with pjz99, if you search the posts you will find some fixes.  One is, one poser loads, rotate the camera just slightly and it should stay alright, others have to do with adjusting your graphics card.  Sharen

TikiGawd ( ) posted Sun, 26 October 2008 at 5:42 AM

This started happening to me after updating my nvidia drivers to 178.24. Poser was rock solid before that, it hadn't crashed in MONTHS.

The only way I can work with a scene now is to set the preview settings to Sreed>Software buffer, disable hardware shading, save settings. Then reset back to OpenGL>Software (always crashes when the buffer is set to hardware), re-enable hardware shading, save settings.

After doing that, the scene is smooth and responsive, but I have to go through these hoops EVERY TIME I load a new scene.

TikiGawd ( ) posted Sun, 26 October 2008 at 7:50 AM · edited Sun, 26 October 2008 at 7:51 AM

Ok, after reading a post by mariner here, and some fiddling, I SEEM to have fixed my problem.

I added a profile for Poser 7 in the nvidia control panel, under "Manage 3d Settings>Program Settings". The only thing I changed from the global settings was turning the "threaded optimization"  OFF. Turning it ON seemed to preserve stability as well, however, camera tracking was VERY slow and choppy, and my cpu usage never dropped below 50%... Turning it OFF, on the other hand returned poser to it's normal smooth operation.

I opened and played around with about a dozen different scenes and it hasn't crashed yet.

Hope this helps somebody.

pjz99 ( ) posted Sun, 26 October 2008 at 10:40 AM

That sounds like it's worth a try, thanks.  Might fix another app or two that I have never been able to get to work!

My Freebies

pjz99 ( ) posted Sun, 26 October 2008 at 11:55 AM

I tried this and it appears to be working well, thanks for the suggestion!

My Freebies

wakingdreams ( ) posted Sun, 26 October 2008 at 4:30 PM

Quote - Ok, after reading a post by mariner here, and some fiddling, I SEEM to have fixed my problem.

I added a profile for Poser 7 in the nvidia control panel, under "Manage 3d Settings>Program Settings". The only thing I changed from the global settings was turning the "threaded optimization"  OFF. Turning it ON seemed to preserve stability as well, however, camera tracking was VERY slow and choppy, and my cpu usage never dropped below 50%... Turning it OFF, on the other hand returned poser to it's normal smooth operation.

I opened and played around with about a dozen different scenes and it hasn't crashed yet.

Hope this helps somebody.

Wow....way to fix my problem! You rock. Will play around with it a bit to make sure, but it seems to me that this one single fix has made Poser happy again :)

Thanks all for the replies

Cheers!

TikiGawd ( ) posted Sun, 26 October 2008 at 7:38 PM

Awesome! Glad to be of service.

Pretorian ( ) posted Fri, 31 October 2008 at 8:14 AM

I'v had the same problem as well. I found that, before doing anything in poser, you rotate the camera 360 or more and zoom in and out, everything works fine. Sounds crazy but it works.

TikiGawd ( ) posted Fri, 31 October 2008 at 1:33 PM

In my case, rotating the camera ~90 degrees, clicking more than 2 menu items or switching to a different 'room' would cause poser to simply POOF to desktop. No warning, no error no nothing, unless I farted around with preview render settings, and that only worked 50% of the time, at best.

leezace ( ) posted Sat, 01 November 2008 at 7:25 AM

I have had the exact same issues since i reinstalled poser 7 after a full PC format, i did exactly what mariner suggested and it has stopped my machine white screening then closing.

Thank you Mariner ;)

Hope this works for others.

Regards,

Vale.

Ahkreeah ( ) posted Sat, 01 November 2008 at 6:37 PM

I almost posted but that "threaded optimalization" (for dutch users sychrone optimalisatie) solved the problem!

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.