Tue, Oct 22, 1:44 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 22 1:40 am)

Subject: Problem making M4 Morphs

Diogenes ( ) posted Sun, 26 October 2008 at 11:45 PM · edited Mon, 21 October 2024 at 10:58 PM

Decided to try and make a morph to correct the placement of the top eyelash on M4.  When I load the morph and dial it the whole head moves up.  Tried even using the original obj file from geometries folder and it still moves the whole head.  Any ideas?  Very strange, never had that happen befor.

A HOMELAND FOR POSER FINALLY

Diogenes ( ) posted Mon, 27 October 2008 at 12:02 AM

Even exported as morph target the head still somehow is not matching back up when reimported as a morph.  M3, D3, V4 all work fine there must be something wrong with either my installation or M4 is flawed.

jonnybode ( ) posted Mon, 27 October 2008 at 1:13 AM

file_416389.jpg

Hi!

It works fine here, exported head only as morphtarget from Poser, imported to hexagon and made a simple change, imported to M4's head as morphtarget.

Are you sure you dont get those eyebrows exported too?

Regards / Jonny

Diogenes ( ) posted Mon, 27 October 2008 at 1:44 AM · edited Mon, 27 October 2008 at 1:49 AM

I think it's my Zbrush, cause 3Ds max does fine no problems when I work on it there.  I recently (two days ago) reinstalled Zbrush.  Now just got figure out why Zbrush is not importing the correct size. Seems to me Ihad to do something to fix that, but it's been so long ago since I first installed Zbrush I can't remember what it was. It's the size difference between the two apps that is causing the problem I think.  Might have been a plugin I installed befor I'll have to look through all my junk see if I can find it.  Oh ya M3, D3, and V4 are doing the same thing now  (when they didn't a couple days ago) so it's got to be my Zbrush.

Diogenes ( ) posted Mon, 27 October 2008 at 2:44 AM

I found it, forgott all about the poser scaler plug. Never use it. I think I have halfheimers. LOL
Sorry for bothering everyone.

Silke ( ) posted Mon, 27 October 2008 at 3:07 AM

watching with bated breath!

I did tell you you're my hero, right?

Silke

Diogenes ( ) posted Mon, 27 October 2008 at 3:36 AM

Did I ever say ZBrush 3.1 sucks? I loaded the poser scaler and it sortof works. it still moves the whole head, almost imperceptibly but it does move when morphed. You know what that means? It means that any morph made in ZB 3.1 for poser that poser must store all of the vertice info for the entire body part because it has moved. Usually as I understand it poser only stores the info for the vertices that have moved for the morph this saves on resources. But since ZB3.1 now no longer will scale poser objects perfectly, all the vertices of the obj being morphed get moved, perhaps only slightly but moved nonetheless, SUCKS!!!!!!!!

Zbrush 2 did not have this problem, so I am moving over to my old machine to use Zbrush 2 since Zbrush 2 will not work on my new machine.  Be back soon with a morph. this morph is so simple it should have only taken me a couple of minutes but for a totally ruined "new" app ZB3.1 If you work in poser and want morphs for poser dont buy ZB 3.1

Sorry silke be back in a few have to install ZB2 on my old machine and then the morph will be done easily.

pjz99 ( ) posted Mon, 27 October 2008 at 3:45 AM

Quote - Did I ever say ZBrush 3.1 sucks? I loaded the poser scaler and it sortof works. it still moves the whole head, almost imperceptibly but it does move when morphed.

I had problems like this sometimes also.  What works for me, is:

• Export from Poser
  • Scale up by 1000 in objAction Scaler
  • Import to Zbrush, morph
  • Export from Zbrush
  • Scale down by 1000 in objAction Scaler
  • Import to Poser

In any case where you have the bodypart moving around even a little bit, it is likely some scaling step got missed.  I was able to fix a morph that this happened to me for, once, by running Phil Cooke's "Rationalize Morph Targets" utility, part of Poser Toolbox:
www.philc.net

My Freebies

Diogenes ( ) posted Mon, 27 October 2008 at 4:48 AM

Thanks pjz99 I think I have abjAction scaler somewhere.

metabog ( ) posted Mon, 27 October 2008 at 10:41 AM

I had given up on trying to create morphs in Zbrush 3.1 because of similiar problems. Even using the poser scaler plug-in I got message about vertices not being right (fuzzy on the exact mesaage) Maybe will try pjz's technique.

Diogenes ( ) posted Mon, 27 October 2008 at 11:55 AM

objAction scaler worked perfectly no more problems but you must also prepare poser to export the files for morphing. in edit ceneral preferences uncheck use external binary morphs, then make sure IK is off on the figure. Then export as morph tatget, ect. Scale the obj up in objAction scaler, import into poser do your morphs, export, scale it backdown in objAction scaler and walla perfect morph target.

Latexluv ( ) posted Mon, 27 October 2008 at 6:07 PM · edited Mon, 27 October 2008 at 6:07 PM

phantom, how are you on creating 'famous people'" head morphs? I've got two favorite people I'd dearly love to have for M4. I bought and tried using face shop but could not get figure it out. Using M3's pack of morphs I came close on one face but it wasn't very satisfactory, and M4 has far less morphs to work with. Actually I have four male faces I'd really like to have, but two are more important.

"A lonely climber walks a tightrope to where dreams are born and never die!" - Billy Thorpe, song: Edge of Madness, album: East of Eden's Gate

Weapons of choice:

Poser Pro 2012, SR2, Paintshop Pro 8

Diogenes ( ) posted Mon, 27 October 2008 at 6:22 PM

I don't know I'd have to try it, Do you have photo's?

pjz99 ( ) posted Mon, 27 October 2008 at 6:25 PM

Extremely important step before any import/export:  ZERO THE FIGURE!  ZERO ALL HIP AND BODY X/Y/Z TRANSLATIONS!  These will be written into the OBJ as permament deformations otherwise!

My Freebies

Latexluv ( ) posted Mon, 27 October 2008 at 7:14 PM

file_416449.jpg

The first is Mick Mars of Motley Crue. This montage of pictures was assembled by a friend who had a small action figure of him made for me.

"A lonely climber walks a tightrope to where dreams are born and never die!" - Billy Thorpe, song: Edge of Madness, album: East of Eden's Gate

Weapons of choice:

Silke ( ) posted Mon, 27 October 2008 at 7:37 PM

Omg Mick!

LOL... Damn. He's Mr. Sarcastic. :) Great guy, but he has a very sick and twisted sense of humor hehehe.
Blast from the past, for sure. :)

Sorry -- OT. :)

Back to ZBrush!
I'm hoping to get a copy, but when I ordered it from Daz, when they had their "deal" on, I (and plenty others) got severely shafted, because in the time of putting it in the cart and hitting "Checkout" it was "Sold out".
It was only then we found out it was limited stock. (Pissed a lot of people off)

I don't know if ZBrush licenses are transferable, but if anyone doesn't use theirs and wants to sell it... I might be a taker, provided the price is ok and the license is transferable.
(I work part time, so money is always tight.)

Silke

Diogenes ( ) posted Mon, 27 October 2008 at 8:28 PM

Latexluv: I'll try it and see what happens, it will take me awhile (harder to do a likness than a made up character.

Silke:  Sometimes you can find them on Ebay. Don't know if it's legal though.

Latexluv ( ) posted Mon, 27 October 2008 at 8:43 PM

phantom, I will appreciate any attempts!

Weapons of choice:

Silke ( ) posted Tue, 28 October 2008 at 3:30 AM

I don't trust the ones on Ebay. I don't want to shell out money for something that's cracked or illegal, and get stuck with the bill.
Good software deserves support, but I wish they would make it cheaper.
I googled ZBrush and found a "Download version" for $125.
This is what their FAQ says:
"We offer the software for downloading only, it means that you do not receive a fancy package, a printed manual and license that actually aggregate the largest part of the retail price. In this situation we are restricted in selling the products for private purposes only! You will not be able to get a technical support and different rebates from the manufacturer. Updates are available for the most of our products (you may ask our support staff for the exceptions) that make them fully functional and operating. Additionally you save the delivery cost. "
Note the bold, red part.
That is a cracked version and not a legal copy, and I'd actually bet money on that.

It still kinda gets me that software makers rather put a massive pricetag on the software, so a few buy it, than lower the price and get many to buy it. (And upgrade, and upgrade...)

i.e.
Software sells 5 copies at $600 = $3000
Software sells 20 copies at $200 = $4000

Scenario 1 gives you 5 potential upgrades, scenario 2 gives you 20 potential upgrades.
Both would pay the same upgrade price, so it would actually make more sense to build up a large consumer base and get many upgrade purchases out of this, than keep it limited (due to price) and get less.
If only 50% upgrade, you still have 10 upgrades vs 2.5 (lets call it 2).

MS Office used to be around £600 in the UK. It's now about £60 and many, many people use LEGAL versions of it, putting money in MS's pocket, instead of getting the software from work, or cracked versions from friends, etc.
It didn't hurt any that OpenOffice is free and very good. It put the wind up MS a bit, I'd bet.

Silke

Diogenes ( ) posted Tue, 28 October 2008 at 6:48 AM · edited Tue, 28 October 2008 at 6:49 AM

I agree, but sometimes you can find unopened boxes (purchased but never used or registered) but then again you never really know what you're getting. And if you wait and keep your eyes open someone will come up with a good deal on the software, often just befor a new version comes out you can pick up the current version at a much reduced price. That's what I'm going to do for the new Photoshop, wait and hope to get it later at a better price.

Keith ( ) posted Tue, 28 October 2008 at 10:32 AM

Quote -
Both would pay the same upgrade price, so it would actually make more sense to build up a large consumer base and get many upgrade purchases out of this, than keep it limited (due to price) and get less.
If only 50% upgrade, you still have 10 upgrades vs 2.5 (lets call it 2).

MS Office used to be around £600 in the UK. It's now about £60 and many, many people use LEGAL versions of it, putting money in MS's pocket, instead of getting the software from work, or cracked versions from friends, etc.
It didn't hurt any that OpenOffice is free and very good. It put the wind up MS a bit, I'd bet.

One of the dirty little secrets of many high-end software producers (3D and otherwise) is that piracy, or at least non commercial-grade piracy (where someone is selling their product to people who'd actually buy it otherwise) doesn't actually harm their business that much and in many cases is to their benefit.

Consider: when you have a high-end modeling/rendering package that might have run $5000 to $10,000, and in the days before much cheaper trial or "student" versions were available,  how many sales to private individuals were you actually going to make, so how much were you actually going to lose in lost sales?  Odds are, pretty minimal.

Now, those people using the pirated software, a certain percentage are going to turn professional, and they'll either set up their own studio or work at someone else's.  Odds are, they're going to want software that they've grown familiar with, but this time they'll have to do it legally.

Just after Corel bought WordPerfect, a Corel exec was quoted as saying that of course he didn't condone piracy...but he'd much rather people were pirating WordPerfect Suite than MS Office.  If people were pirating it, it meant people wanted it, and their marketing department could work with that.  And if they were using a pirated version at home, odds are they'd want to use a legit version at work.

Latexluv ( ) posted Tue, 28 October 2008 at 4:46 PM

Consider also that a large part of the price of software is the Windows/Microsoft license. Back in the 90's a friend of mine who is a Quicken fiend was pricing the app in stores. If I remember rightly, the Windows version was over a hundred dollars, but when the Linux version finally showed up on the shelves it was 30 bucks. So he went and got Linux and put it on one of his older machines and picked up the Linux version. The price difference between platforms was jaw-dropping.

When I came into the 3D community, I got lucky. When I first got online at home in 1998, I was doing searches on the net for book publishers and their submission requirements. Somehow my search brought up art sites and so I started looking at all these galleries of beautiful 3D landscapes and the name Bryce kept coming up. Curious, I searched Bryce. I found that at that moment, Bryce 4 was just about to be released and several online venders had Bryce for a much reduced price. One of them had Bryce 3 for only $72.00. This is the one that I purchased. A legitimate, unopened, Bryce 3 which I promptly registered so that I could get the upgrade price from Metacreations, which at that time was only $99. It might take some work, but you can find some good prices on legitimate, older versions of software, if you look.

Weapons of choice:

bopperthijs ( ) posted Tue, 28 October 2008 at 7:46 PM

I sold one of my copies of autocadLT, because I didn't needed it anymore to found out later it was against the EULA of autodesk so I had to take it back. I was only allowed to sell it when I got bankrupted or otherwise retired my company. I always get a little pissed about these policies: you don't buy the software, but you buy a right to use the software, in some way that does make sense but I don't need two copies of the same software, I cannot split myself in two. But there was no way I could explain that to some dumb autodesk helpdesk guy.

B.

-How can you improve things when you don't make mistakes?

BastBlack ( ) posted Wed, 29 October 2008 at 3:27 PM · edited Wed, 29 October 2008 at 3:32 PM

Quote - Extremely important step before any import/export:  ZERO THE FIGURE!  ZERO ALL HIP AND BODY X/Y/Z TRANSLATIONS!  These will be written into the OBJ as permament deformations otherwise!

Or better yet, DON'T. 
Use the original OBJ located in the geometries folder.
Also, if the figure's obj is welded correctly like an obj in geometries folder should be, you won't run into any problems with morphing across groups.

Once you are done with your morph, import into Poser with nothing checked.
Open the GROUP menu
Spawn all body parts
export each one as a morph target,
then load your target figure into the scene
select each body part and import the morph.
Once done, dial all body part morphs to 1
create a Full Body Morph.

Wala. Done.

I know it's tedious, but using Poser Tool Box helps speed up the process.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.