Tue, Oct 22, 1:29 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Carrara

Welcome to the Carrara Forum

Forum Coordinators: Kalypso

Carrara F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 21 3:26 am)

Visit the Carrara Gallery here.

Carrara Free Stuff here.

Visit the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: So worried it can happen again

behzad ( ) posted Sun, 26 October 2008 at 10:57 AM · edited Tue, 22 October 2024 at 1:28 AM

I am worried autodesk will buy Carrara

My Gallery

BAR-CODE ( ) posted Sun, 26 October 2008 at 11:02 AM

AFAIK they only buy profesional things..
And if they ever had intrest they buy whole DAZ ..on a lazy afternoon..

IF YOU WANT TO CONTACT BAR-CODE SENT A  PM to 26FAHRENHEIT  "same person"

Chris

My Free Stuff

GKDantas ( ) posted Sun, 26 October 2008 at 11:30 AM

Hahaha... but isnt difficult that this can happen. Autodesk is aimed to Pro market, maybe with Carrara they can get the beginers level market... you begin with Carrara and end with Maya or SXI now.

Follow me at euQfiz Digital

ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Sun, 26 October 2008 at 11:33 AM · edited Sun, 26 October 2008 at 11:34 AM

Quote - I am worried autodesk will buy Carrara

Why?  If Autodesk bought each of its employees a Carrara license and forced them to use it, we might see some nice tutorials and content (maybe even plugins) coming from them.  And DAZ would get money to support Carrara better.

www.youtube.com/user/ShawnDriscollCG

GKDantas ( ) posted Sun, 26 October 2008 at 11:35 AM

And we can get more developers in Carrara...

behzad ( ) posted Sun, 26 October 2008 at 11:44 AM

I think their next victim will be lightwave and they will not bother with maxon, cause maxon is Europe base.

My Gallery

ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Sun, 26 October 2008 at 1:37 PM

No joking this time.  I think Vue will be the next victim.

Sueposer ( ) posted Sun, 26 October 2008 at 2:12 PM

Autodesk just bought Softimage. I understand this is a professional package, but I have never seen it anywhere.

GKDantas ( ) posted Sun, 26 October 2008 at 2:43 PM

One big example from old tmes from Softimage is Jumanji... but theres a lot of others movie that it was used, tv shows and other things... just take a look at the site.
The most strange thing is that I saw a topic at CGChannel about people leaving Maya to work with XSI... now they are brothers anyway!

Dwarg ( ) posted Sun, 26 October 2008 at 4:05 PM

Before Maya came out Softimage was the be all end all of commercial 3D apps.  Back then Electric Image, Lightwave and Houdini were the only other commercial apps that really mattered.  Then Maya and 3DS MAX came in and shook things up.  MAXXON C4D slowly climbed into a strong position as well.

Anyway, Autodesk is gaining a pretty monopolistic advantage in the high-end 3D world but there is so much competition at the consumer level I'm not too worried about it. Aside from the many consumer level commercial apps there is also an ever growing cadre of open source 3D apps to choose from.  As for them buying Carrara, or more likely DAZ, I don't think it would be a very good fit for them from a corporate culture perspective.  They would probably go after Vue or something similar that would be easy for them to digest into their their parent company. But I understand your concern. Autodesk does not have a very good reputation for making the software they buy better.  They seem to be buying up their competition for the purpose of stopping development so they can use the existing software as a chash machine.

behzad ( ) posted Sun, 26 October 2008 at 5:42 PM

My friend made mud box and they were bought over by autodesk. So anything is possible, and that was  3 man company too.

My Gallery

ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Sun, 26 October 2008 at 6:50 PM · edited Sun, 26 October 2008 at 6:52 PM

Well, your friend invited people into the beta that were too good and their results caught Autodesk's attention before Mudbox had enough of a loyal customer base.  Autodesk got that app for cheap.

behzad ( ) posted Sun, 26 October 2008 at 6:53 PM

Oh, do you know how much?

My Gallery

ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Sun, 26 October 2008 at 6:57 PM

I might have that 3D World Mag somewhere.

ravenous ( ) posted Mon, 27 October 2008 at 10:07 AM

Will you people stop talking about Carrara as a beginner software!? I'm getting to know Carrara now and I'm proud of it. Everytime someone mention Carrara as a beginner software I get a big lump in my throat and my lip start to shiver. It's like when you get your drivers licence and get your first car, and someone says "Well, the day you buy a REAL car you should think about getting a better insurance".

I loved my first car. Well, I had to fill up oil every third mile or so, and the wipers never really worked. Plus it always refused to start whenever I was supposed to pick up my girlfriend. But it was mine, and I loved it! I consider Carrara mine too, and I love it! I get the feeling Carrara loves me back too. So what's so beginnerish with Carrara anyway?

(I'm only just about half serious with this post)

behzad ( ) posted Mon, 27 October 2008 at 10:09 AM

revenous you make my heart bleed with this post. I feel your pain.

My Gallery

bwtr ( ) posted Mon, 27 October 2008 at 9:36 PM

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=kR7UWImpG54

A liitle crude BUT keep the tissue box handy to stem the tears of laughter!

Brian

bwtr

behzad ( ) posted Mon, 27 October 2008 at 10:07 PM

That is way too funny, thanks Brian.

My Gallery

Sueposer ( ) posted Mon, 27 October 2008 at 10:34 PM

LOL...ROFL... ROFLMAO...

pauljs75 ( ) posted Fri, 31 October 2008 at 7:03 PM

What's wrong with Carrara being "beginner" software?

And by "beginner" I mean it has to satisfy these two conditions:

1. Affordable.
  2. Easy to use.

Now if someone were to add $1000 to the price or screw up the UI by re-arranging it and trying to put in and implement everything in a half bass-ackwards way... Then it could be considered "professional" software.

Examples of "professional": - Photoshop: Actually easy enough to use in an intuitive manner w/o reading books or whatever, but way too damn expensive for the average beginner. (So beginners end up with out of date versions, the gutted Elements version, settle for standbys such as PSP or Gimp, or acquire it through "friends".)

• Blender: Actually free. However the UI is likely to be confusing even when compared to Lighwave, Maya, or 3DS Max. If you actually can figure it out, it can do powerful stuff. But the UI just isn't really intuitive for most users, and will require much reading and hours of review of websites or .pdfs for just figuring out the simplest functions.

Do we really want Carrara to become "professional"?

Barbequed Pixels?

Your friendly neighborhood Wings3D nut.
Also feel free to browse my freebies at ShareCG.
There might be something worth downloading.

Singular3D ( ) posted Sat, 01 November 2008 at 12:00 PM

I also bet on Vue. Their ecco-system and atmosphere is just what's missing and with xStream they already have a first step of integration.

Carrara went the route of Daz content and that's of no value for autodesk.

ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Sat, 01 November 2008 at 12:22 PM

Didn't Mudbox get bought out by Autodesk before version 2 had many sales?  They snatched it up before anyone else did.  But E-On is just asking for a buy-out with their Vue 7 dangling in front of Autodesk.

ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Sat, 01 November 2008 at 12:23 PM

Quote - And we can get more developers in Carrara...

I was joking there.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.