Tue, Oct 22, 2:30 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Vue

Welcome to the Vue Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, TheBryster

Vue F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 17 8:34 am)

Subject: 1gigabyte per application? SCREW IT

Xpleet ( ) posted Tue, 28 October 2008 at 10:23 AM · edited Tue, 22 October 2024 at 12:36 AM

How can I make the windows pile of garbage - (XP-32) to allow Vue to use more than 1Gb. Vue crashes whenever it's asked to use more than 1gigabyte for itself. And in the taskmanager Vue takes ram goes up from 1gb to 1,5gb then dropping to 1gb again and crashing after a few more minutes. I don't want to have my recently bought 4gb bought for nothing. The 32 limit is 4gigabyte so i want to be able to use more than 1gb per application, HELP!!!! I did the /3GB /PAE /userva=3030 fix, shit nothing changed.

If wincrap xp32 is unable to allocate more than 1024mb to Vue then I'm going to quit with Vue foreva.

by the way, memtest tells me that my version of Windows allows 1000mb of ram to be used for 1 application too.

agiel ( ) posted Tue, 28 October 2008 at 10:53 AM

I thought the theoretical limit for win32 is 2Gb per application, with a breakdown of Vue around 1.5Gb from experience.

I'm afraid there is not many solutions to that problem.

Either get an OS that allows more memory per application (win64 or Mac OS) - expensive.
Or apply strategies to reduce the amount of memory used by Vue - time consuming but possible,

You can use smalled texture maps, limit the number of Undo to 2 or 3, disable OpenGL preview, set the preview window to render on click (and not always render), compose your scenes in smaller chunks instead of one huge scene (unless you do animation)... things of that nature.

bruno021 ( ) posted Tue, 28 October 2008 at 11:09 AM

Vista32 or XP32, I can use more than 1gig for Vue, I've seen Vue go up to 1600 megs in the task manager.
What are you doing, Displcement I suppose?

Xpleet ( ) posted Tue, 28 October 2008 at 11:44 AM

Quote - Vista32 or XP32, I can use more than 1gig for Vue, I've seen Vue go up to 1600 megs in the task manager.
What are you doing, Displcement I suppose?

yes.

I have other programs telling me that they are unable to use more than 1gigabyte ram for themselves.

alexcoppo ( ) posted Tue, 28 October 2008 at 11:54 AM

I have managed to crash Vue in two cases:

1. when using displacement materials (almost immediately);
  2. when messing with ecosystems with large trees (I mean adding a tree, adding anothe one, chaning my mind with the first tree, removing it and adding yet another one and so on).

In any other case, Vue is solid, even on a 1GB computer (I have not yet installed it on the new 8GB monster I got this week).

Bye!!!

GIMP 2.7.4, Inkscape 0.48, Genetica 3.6 Basic, FilterForge 3 Professional, Blender 2.61, SketchUp 8, PoserPro 2012, Vue 10 Infinite, World Machine 2.3, GeoControl 2

bruno021 ( ) posted Tue, 28 October 2008 at 12:01 PM

Vue can use up to 2gigs, which is the max Windows 32bit allows per application. Displacemnt can be tricky, not only in Vue, I've add OOMs in Cinema4D using displacement. Some fractal nodes are very demanding, even some of the "simple" fractals ( as opposed to variable roughness and 3noises fractals) , like voronoi, round samples and square blobs. Vue can be caught in an endless loop trying to compute the resulting geometry while at the same time trying not to crash, which is why I think memory usage goes to 1500 then goes down a bit, and goes up again. It is trying to free some memory (or maybe it is windows doing this), and loses some information, then recomputing wha's just been lost, etc....

Dale B ( ) posted Tue, 28 October 2008 at 12:08 PM

Look up  xp 3gig address  switch on the net. It doesn't make a 32 bit app capable of addressing more, but it adds a gig to the memory pool for the OS to access, freeing up nearly all of 2 gigs for an app to use. it may or may not help....

Xpleet ( ) posted Tue, 28 October 2008 at 12:19 PM

Quote - Vue can use up to 2gigs, which is the max Windows 32bit allows per application.

that's the damned point. My windows or Vue can't. Whenever Vue exceeds 1gb of ram usage it goes back down to 1gb and crashes. Either my windows isn't able to allocate more than 1gb of ram (Memtest claims this) or Vue can't which is what i not believe currently.

bruno021 ( ) posted Tue, 28 October 2008 at 12:54 PM

So Vue never uses more than one gig? even at its highest memory usage? Strange. Do you have any app that can use more than 1 gig? Motherboard issue?

Flak ( ) posted Tue, 28 October 2008 at 4:17 PM

I've also run into this 1GB ceiling that only Vue seems to see on my xp32bit system. I can happily crank Bryce and Photoshop well beyond 1GB without any problems (bryce I can literally push up to 2GB and measure the point at which it will crash out).

Out of curiousity - do you have a dual channel ram setup on your motherboard - I do and am wondering if Vue is struggling with interpreting that.

Dreams are just nightmares on prozac...
Digital WasteLanD

silverblade33 ( ) posted Tue, 28 October 2008 at 4:30 PM

hugs 8 gig 64 bit system
Sorry but, the difference in reliability etc is night and day :)

"I'd rather be a Fool who believes in Dragons, Than a King who believes in Nothing!" www.silverblades-suitcase.com
Free tutorials, Vue & Bryce materials, Bryce Skies, models, D&D items, stories.
Tutorials on Poser imports to Vue/Bryce, Postwork, Vue rendering/lighting, etc etc!

bruno021 ( ) posted Tue, 28 October 2008 at 5:59 PM

I have 3 gigs, on 4 "panels" (sorry, don't know the name in english), 2 are 512, 2 are 1gigs.

ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Wed, 29 October 2008 at 5:37 PM

Quote - How can I make the windows pile of garbage - (XP-32) to allow Vue to use more than 1Gb.

XP 64-bit may be the key to using more RAM for Vue.

www.youtube.com/user/ShawnDriscollCG

silverblade33 ( ) posted Wed, 29 October 2008 at 9:01 PM

I would NOT recommend XP64, it's very unsupported and problematical versus Vista 64 bit.

See CS4 Photoshop vs XP64, yet it's fine on my Vista rig (just got CS4 Extended...grr, adobe EUrope prices!!!, but awesome app).

"I'd rather be a Fool who believes in Dragons, Than a King who believes in Nothing!" www.silverblades-suitcase.com
Free tutorials, Vue & Bryce materials, Bryce Skies, models, D&D items, stories.
Tutorials on Poser imports to Vue/Bryce, Postwork, Vue rendering/lighting, etc etc!

Peggy_Walters ( ) posted Wed, 29 October 2008 at 9:37 PM

I found a free program called CCleaner that helped me get some more of my system resouces back.  http://www.ccleaner.com/   Sometimes there are programs running in the background that are hogging memory. 

Check Control Panel, System, Advanced tab.  What are your memory setting?  Are you letting Windows choose what is best or have you made some changes that may be limiting the amount of memory a program gets?

LVS - Where Learning is Fun!  
http://www.lvsonline.com/index.html

dburdick ( ) posted Thu, 30 October 2008 at 5:07 AM

Quote - I would NOT recommend XP64, it's very unsupported and problematical versus Vista 64 bit.

See CS4 Photoshop vs XP64, yet it's fine on my Vista rig (just got CS4 Extended...grr, adobe EUrope prices!!!, but awesome app).

Silverblade, what's the issue with XP64?  There are many more users using XP64 than Vista 64.  The testing I've seen with the Vuemark benchmark shows that XP64 is about 15% faster than Vista 64. 

Quote - Vue can use up to 2gigs, which is the max Windows 32bit allows per application. Displacemnt can be tricky, not only in Vue, I've add OOMs in Cinema4D using displacement. Some fractal nodes are very demanding, even some of the "simple" fractals ( as opposed to variable roughness and 3noises fractals) , like voronoi, round samples and square blobs. Vue can be caught in an endless loop trying to compute the resulting geometry while at the same time trying not to crash, which is why I think memory usage goes to 1500 then goes down a bit, and goes up again. It is trying to free some memory (or maybe it is windows doing this), and loses some information, then recomputing wha's just been lost, etc....

Bruno is absolutely right on the displacement stuff.  It doesn't take much to cause OOM errors on 32-bit platfroms.  I have similar problems with MudBox on 32-bit.  I've never had an OOM crash on XP64

Dale B ( ) posted Thu, 30 October 2008 at 7:07 AM

It's most likely the driver issue, Dave. I was going to do XP 64 myself, after having to nuke and rebuild to get rid of a couple of nasty trojan stubs, but most of the drivers I found were several years old, and some things simply lacked drivers. So I broke down and got Vista Ultimate....

That said, of course XP64is faster; its not running several layers of DRM crapola code in the background And while I seem to be taming Vista for my uses, I really wouldn't recommend it. Windows 7 is on the horizon, and it is looking as if Vista may meet the fate that MS has been fantasizing for for XP (assuming Win7 actually is them learning from their mistakes, and not not simply putting more lipstick on the ol bloated piggy......

ksanderson ( ) posted Thu, 30 October 2008 at 9:23 PM · edited Thu, 30 October 2008 at 9:31 PM

Vista is still being avoided like the plague by many corporate IT departments. If it wasn't for computers sold in the big box stores including it, it would've gone the way of Windows ME and I hope it goes soon. Everyone I personally know who has Vista has problems with it. I know people posting here have fewer problems or have licked them, but it's tough for many users. XP64 is not a bad option if your new PC is just meant for specific applications like Vue that run fine on XP64. Read up first to make an informed decision. It could also save you some money.

The original poster should dig more into his settings to see if something is amiss. Also, if it's a dual core rig, the 4GB would be split in half between cores and a good part of RAM (at least 500MB) is always reserved for system functions. That could be a reason why it only goes up to 1.5GB of usage. I think some Vue processes are single core only. I could be wrong.

jc ( ) posted Fri, 31 October 2008 at 12:44 AM

I have just 2 issues with my XP 64 - won't run my QuickBooks Pro 2007 and my Epson scanner doesn't have drivers for it.  Neither are important issues for me, since my old PC is on my office network and I can run them from there. Soon I'll get QBP 2009 and I expect drivers for the epson eventually.

For me, XP 64 has been a lot better than Vista 64 would be.

Rutra ( ) posted Fri, 31 October 2008 at 12:10 PM

xpleet, the /3GB switch allocates more memory to the applications, removing it from the system (kernel is reduced to 1GB max). The /PAE switch gives more memory back to the system. This is only relevant for servers, like terminal services and similar. I think you do not need the /PAE switch and it could be working against you.
Another thing is the /userva=3030 fix. Actually, I remember reading that Microsoft does not recommend going above 2090 here.
I'm not 100% sure about the things above. I never tested it myself, I just know it theoretically.

Another thing: did you increase your pagefile accordingly? If you have more physical RAM now, you should increase the pagefile also. The rule of thumb says it should be 1.5x the size of physical RAM but that's for low values of physical RAM. For 4GB you can probably just have 4GB. The right way to calculate it is complicated though, but there are several sites which can help you. Just google for "pagefile size".

Regarding Vista 64 and its alleged problems, all I can say is that I have it for several months and I'm very happy with it. It runs smoothly, fast, no problems at all.

LCBoliou ( ) posted Sat, 01 November 2008 at 1:01 AM · edited Sat, 01 November 2008 at 1:03 AM

Upgrade to Vista 64-bit.  I have a Mac Pro, running Bootcamp with Vista Business 64-bit (sees both 4-core CPUs).  I have 10 Gb RAM, and the difference in stability is amazing.  I've run a Vue render to 8.9 Gb of RAM being used, with displacement mapping on a high-res landscape.

Did just fine.

Thelby ( ) posted Sat, 01 November 2008 at 8:58 AM · edited Sat, 01 November 2008 at 9:02 AM

I use this little Utility and works Great on all my Apps.
LINK
The Download is below:
LINK
 It Allows me to take Vue6 Pro Studio up to around 3 GBs of RAM on my XP 32 Bit System.
I have 4 Gbs total.
TRY IT YOU"LL LIKE IT!!!!!

I would rather be Politically Incorrect,
Then have Politically Correct-Incorrectness!!!

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.