Thu, Sep 19, 6:59 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Bryce

Welcome to the Bryce Forum

Forum Moderators: TheBryster

Bryce F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 28 6:28 pm)

[Gallery]     [Tutorials]

THE PLACE FOR ALL THINGS BRYCE - GOT A PROBLEM? YOU'VE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE

Subject: OT-- Just wondering about any old rockers out there

skiwillgee ( ) posted Fri, 31 October 2008 at 9:52 AM · edited Thu, 19 September 2024 at 6:57 PM

As I sit here munching on a grilled cheese sandwich and listening to Jan Joplin's "Cheap Thrills" CD cranked up to just under ear damaging levels, I was wondering on a couple things---.

How many of you from the sixties and seventies still have to slip to listen to the best music of the century.   When I was 20, I had to listen in seclusion when the folks weren't home to crank it up to proper levels but still be under sound pressures that wouldn't call down the wrath of the neighbors. Or, listen to the eight-tracks in my car stereo. 

Now I still have to do it in seclusion because my teenage kids turn up their noses and and say "what in the crap is that?"  If I turn it up they complain. 

Some things never change, I guess.

Am I alone?

sackrat ( ) posted Fri, 31 October 2008 at 11:20 AM · edited Fri, 31 October 2008 at 11:20 AM

Yeah,......a woman I see periodically(she's 21) calls it "Fogey Music),.........I actually saw Joplin twice, Hendrix twice, Santana's 1st tour, was at the original Woodstock., saw Zepplin's 1st American tour (they opened for The Who).  Remember Iron Butterfly's "Heavey" album ? The "Iron Butterfly Theme" would drive my neighbors nutz.

"Any club that would have me as a member is probably not worth joining" -Groucho Marx

hardtwist ( ) posted Fri, 31 October 2008 at 11:20 AM

Nope. Your not alone. I wish we would of had Serius radio back then. I dont think any of my knobs have anything but 10 on them. hehehe
I luv headphones in the house. They have 10 on them too. LOL

Jim

Damn the hearing loss "turn it up"

bobbystahr ( ) posted Fri, 31 October 2008 at 11:47 AM

One of the many reasons I remain childless...my children it turns out, are all the young musicians whose parents don't understand/can't relate to them and they come to my house to find out about the '60's...just lucky I guess.. ...

Once in a while I look around,
I see a sound
and try to write it down
Sometimes they come out very soft
Tinkling light sound
The Sun comes up again

TheBryster ( ) posted Fri, 31 October 2008 at 12:13 PM
Forum Moderator

Stuff the nieghbours! You don't like my music....move house.
I saw Led Zep's very last concert before John Bonham passed away 1979. I saw Deep Purple in 1974. Status Quo in 1978.

Nowadays, I drive around town playing Buck Cherry's 'Crazy Bitch' at full blast.

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader

All the Woes of a World by Jonathan Icknield aka The Bryster

And in my final hours - I would cling rather to the tattooed hand of kindness - than the unblemished hand of hate...

AnnieD ( ) posted Fri, 31 October 2008 at 1:07 PM

Wow...that brings back some memories...
Unfortunately, where i live now, the only old rockers around are on the front porch.     :m_wink:

“For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible.”

[Stuart Chase]

bobbystahr ( ) posted Fri, 31 October 2008 at 3:36 PM

I have a Bentwood Rocker [local 60's band] long playing record...LOL...as well as the real thing myself.. ...

I see a sound
and try to write it down
Tinkling light sound
The Sun comes up again

vangogh ( ) posted Fri, 31 October 2008 at 3:36 PM

My mom and dad were pretty good at letting me play any music I wanted as long as they couldn't hear it too, which meant that I never got to play it very loud. Only when I got my first car did everyone around me listen to the stones-deep purple-moody blues-emerson, lake and palmer when I drove by. incidently....my dad was strict about the length of my hair as a teenager....I never got to grow it long like all my friends. Only when I joined the Navy was I able to have my hair long enough to actually need a comb. That was back in the early 70's, when Zumwald was the head admiral and he relaxed the strict standards to encourage more people to join. I even had a mustache too during my navy days.

Paul Francis ( ) posted Fri, 31 October 2008 at 3:48 PM

First off - great idea for an OT thread!

I was born in 1960, with two older brothers, one of whom worked in Harrods' record department in London, and who helped himself liberally to their wares....I grew up bathed in the sounds of Hendrix, Deep Purple (they played "Smoke on the Water" at my brother's funeral...), Grand Funk, Savoy Brown, Santana, Frank Zappa, UFO, Wishbone Ash, Black Sabbath, Groundhogs, Free, Yes, Pink Floyd......the first concert I ever heard was Uriah Heep in Germany, 1970...the first concert I ever saw was Yes at QPR stadium in 1974.......let's face it, nothing nowadays comes even remotely close to all of this. 

As Ted Nugent once said (Newcastle City Hall, 1978) "If it's too loud, you're too old".  Couldn't have put it better myself.

My self-build system - Vista 64 on a Kingston 240GB SSD, Asus P5Q Pro MB, Quad 6600 CPU, 8 Gb Geil Black Dragon Ram, CoolerMaster HAF932 full tower chassis, EVGA Geforce GTX 750Ti Superclocked 2 Gb, Coolermaster V8 CPU aircooler, Enermax 600W Modular PSU, 240Gb SSD, 2Tb HDD storage, 28" LCD monitor, and more red LEDs than a grown man really needs.....I built it in 2008 and can't afford a new one, yet.....!

My Software - Poser Pro 2012, Photoshop, Bryce 6 and Borderlands......"Catch a  r--i---d-----e-----!"

RodsArt ( ) posted Fri, 31 October 2008 at 5:27 PM · edited Fri, 31 October 2008 at 5:29 PM

In my book, Old is only a term seperated by Century markers. I tear up my ear drums with anything that floats my boat at the moment........Now that doesn't mean I'm not a born in 1960, purebred Rock-N-Roller, Hendrix-Redhouse to Joplin-Summertime, and everything up to present day that has Soul touching, kick ass, and/or intellectual genius. Stevie Ray to Yes-Relayer......Linkin Park to Pearl Jam.

Favorite place to listen............Driving way too fast on a deserted nightime road.

___
Ockham's razor- It's that simple

photostar ( ) posted Fri, 31 October 2008 at 5:44 PM

8 Tracks....jeez!!!! I forgot how many of them i wipped out the damned car window when they became unravelled...LOL

skiwillgee ( ) posted Fri, 31 October 2008 at 8:32 PM

Sacrat was at the original Woodstock!!!!!  Everyone give him a bow.

Bryster, Deep Purple one of my favorites but never saw them. You are lucky, dude.

Saw Joplin once; the Doors; Black Sabbath; Gracie Slick with Jefferson Airplane and again later with Jefferson Starship: Earth, Wind and Fire; Iron Butterfly: Steppenwolf; Savoy Brown, and some later 80's groups.

@Sacrat, I was fresh out of the Navy when I saw Iron Butterfly.  I had learned Morse code. Did you know at the end of the "Iron Butterfly Theme" when it sounds like a plane crashing the Morse code spells "I LOVE YOU"?

sackrat ( ) posted Sat, 01 November 2008 at 1:38 AM

No,......I didn't,  now I'll have to go back and give it a listen. Yeah,.......I was 16 at Woodstock,......and the main thing I remember was, NAKED CHICKS !!!

"Any club that would have me as a member is probably not worth joining" -Groucho Marx

TheBryster ( ) posted Sat, 01 November 2008 at 4:56 AM
Forum Moderator

Iron Butterfly....I knew someone who thought  'In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida' was 'In The Garden Of Eden'.  It has one of the best drum solos I've ever heard, second only to Led Zep's 'Moby Dick'.

And in my final hours - I would cling rather to the tattooed hand of kindness - than the unblemished hand of hate...

UVDan ( ) posted Sat, 01 November 2008 at 8:07 PM
Forum Moderator

Old rocker here as well.  The first concert I saw was The James Gang opening for Santana.  I have also seen the Edgar Winter Group, REO Speedwagon before they sold out and became a chick group, Stephen Stills, T-Rex, Lynyrd Skynyrd, AC/DC, Spooky Tooth, there are more, but the mists of time have obscured them from my memory.  Iron Butterfly used to play at a biker bar all the time on Cleveland Ave in Columbus Ohio, but I cannot remember the name.

Free men do not ask permission to bear arms!!

Incarnadine ( ) posted Sat, 01 November 2008 at 9:25 PM

Hey Rod,- Yes - Relayer, that was one of the first albums I bought. I was actually listening to it the other night (the turntable still works!)

Pass no temptation lightly by, for one never knows when it may pass again!

Paul Francis ( ) posted Sat, 01 November 2008 at 11:12 PM

When I saw Yes it was the "Relayer" tour; still got my ticket and programme!

My self-build system - Vista 64 on a Kingston 240GB SSD, Asus P5Q Pro MB, Quad 6600 CPU, 8 Gb Geil Black Dragon Ram, CoolerMaster HAF932 full tower chassis, EVGA Geforce GTX 750Ti Superclocked 2 Gb, Coolermaster V8 CPU aircooler, Enermax 600W Modular PSU, 240Gb SSD, 2Tb HDD storage, 28" LCD monitor, and more red LEDs than a grown man really needs.....I built it in 2008 and can't afford a new one, yet.....!

My Software - Poser Pro 2012, Photoshop, Bryce 6 and Borderlands......"Catch a  r--i---d-----e-----!"

TheBryster ( ) posted Sun, 02 November 2008 at 4:43 AM
Forum Moderator

Bastards! I missed seeing YES.

bobbystahr ( ) posted Sun, 02 November 2008 at 12:12 PM

Well bands I have seen would include Country Joe and the Fish in 1969 in Van. B.C. the Jefferson Airplane in '67  in Winnipeg, and every Floyd tour up to the Animals one...it never came west far enuff fer me to reach, the Doors also in '69 which included the very short Jim Morrison turning up at the Smiling Buddah after the show to jam great blus on harp and vocals with Danny Tripper and the DynaTones for hours...a great '60's Van. blues band...that was the best night of em all really.. ...

I see a sound
and try to write it down
Tinkling light sound
The Sun comes up again

wildman2 ( ) posted Sun, 02 November 2008 at 12:36 PM

Seen me a few bands in concert as well.Lets see... putting thinking cap on... Led Zepplin,Black Sabbath(with Ozzie)ACDC(with Bon Scott)Aerosmith just to name a few.

"Iron Butterfly....I knew someone who thought  'In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida' was 'In The Garden Of Eden'."
It was

"Reinstall Windows" is NOT a troubleshooting step.

BLT5150 ( ) posted Sun, 02 November 2008 at 1:02 PM

I'm an aging metalhead and lover of '80s music.

I was raised on screaming guitars and driving percussion.

Metal...still...rules!

bobbystahr ( ) posted Sun, 02 November 2008 at 2:11 PM

Oh and a seminal thrash band  MC5 in Toronto in '67....they were wild...

I see a sound
and try to write it down
Tinkling light sound
The Sun comes up again

wildman2 ( ) posted Sun, 02 November 2008 at 2:46 PM

kick out the jams hehehe

bobbystahr ( ) posted Sun, 02 November 2008 at 8:39 PM

Mother fuggers is how that politely ended...lol.. ...

I see a sound
and try to write it down
Tinkling light sound
The Sun comes up again

UVDan ( ) posted Sun, 02 November 2008 at 9:41 PM
Forum Moderator

In addition to YES, I like Steve Howe's solo acoustic stuff.

Free men do not ask permission to bear arms!!

pakled ( ) posted Mon, 03 November 2008 at 6:39 AM

Well, hey ho for the '57s...;) My parents hated rock and roll, so I didn't get started until the 70s. First concert I could have seen [but didn'] was The Monkess ,with special guest Jimi Hendrix (now that I would have liked to see...;) Didn't see a tour until the Grand Funk American Band tour (never seen so many speakers on stage).

After that, the habit just got worse; Black Sabbath, Aerosmith, Led Zepplin (special mention in Hammer of the Gods - we chased the bus to the airport after the concert...well, somebody did..;) the Year of Ted Nugent (most of the above had him as the 'permanent backup band'...;), Yes, EL&P, Jethro Tull, Bad Company, Psychadelic Furs, B52s, Duran Duran, Depeche Mo...ooops...;) Forgot to stop listening to College Radio...;)

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

TheBryster ( ) posted Mon, 03 November 2008 at 9:01 AM
Forum Moderator

Well it sez ''In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida'  on the LP sleeve.

wildman2 ( ) posted Mon, 03 November 2008 at 12:01 PM

not what it was originaly supposed to be .

AnnieD ( ) posted Mon, 03 November 2008 at 1:20 PM

Today's trivia:

Actually both of you are right..according to Wikkipedia..

**A commonly related story says that the song's title was originally  "In The Garden Of Eden" but at one point in the course of rehearsing and recording, singer Doug Ingle got intoxicated and slurred the words, creating the mondegreen that stuck as the title. However, the liner notes on 'the best of' CD compilation state that drummer Ron Bushy was listening to the track through headphones, and couldn't clearly distinguish what Doug Ingle answered when Ron asked him for the title of the song (which was originally "In-The-Garden-Of-Eden").  An alternate explanation, as given in the liner notes of the 1995 re-release of the In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida album, is that Ingle was drunk when he first told Bushy the title, and Bushy wrote it down. Bushy then showed Ingle what he had written, and the slurred title stuck.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida_(song)

“For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible.”

[Stuart Chase]

TheBryster ( ) posted Mon, 03 November 2008 at 2:00 PM · edited Mon, 03 November 2008 at 2:02 PM
Forum Moderator

Cool!
But my only problem with this is that it sounds like the title is a girl's name......
"In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida, honey,
don't you know that I love you?
In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida, baby,
don't you know that I'll always be true?......."

skiwillgee ( ) posted Mon, 03 November 2008 at 6:51 PM

Bryster, just how many lyrics from that era made sense?  Lemonade skies and what-not.   I think I heard the second explanation of how the name came about in a radio interview of a band member.  Yes, it was In the Garden of Eden but drunken slurred.

AnnieD ( ) posted Mon, 03 November 2008 at 10:43 PM

Jeeze...they must have been really drunk.....    :m_tongue:

[Stuart Chase]

bobbystahr ( ) posted Tue, 04 November 2008 at 1:51 AM

Bin 'dere...'dun dat....LOL.. ...

I see a sound
and try to write it down
Tinkling light sound
The Sun comes up again

TheBryster ( ) posted Tue, 04 November 2008 at 7:26 AM
Forum Moderator

Whatever, the drum solo still kicks ass!

sackrat ( ) posted Tue, 04 November 2008 at 8:37 AM

The best drum solo ever is IMO, TOAD on Wheels of Fire. Ginger Baker rules !!

bobbystahr ( ) posted Tue, 04 November 2008 at 10:55 AM

Y' got that right sackrat...at least for R&R solos...have t go some way to ever match Gene Krupa or Sandy Nelson on any of their solos tho.. ...

I see a sound
and try to write it down
Tinkling light sound
The Sun comes up again

TheBryster ( ) posted Tue, 04 November 2008 at 2:44 PM
Forum Moderator

Nah!  Neil Peart gets my vote!

deadwarrior ( ) posted Tue, 04 November 2008 at 9:00 PM

Here's where I really date myself.

I was born in 1950 in Los Angeles. Got to hear Joplin, Hendrix and the Doors (among others), at a joint called 'Pandora's Box' on the Sunset strip. This was around 1964 and just a few years before Joplin and the others became famous.

Some of you might remember the infamous 'riot on the Sunset Strip', now a footnote in rock history, caused by forced closing (and demolishing) of 'The Box'. Heard a lot of other groups play there before THE MAN trashed the place :(

I still run into Lee Freeman of "Strawberry Alarmclock" and Bobby Sherman and I have lunch now and again, (I trained Bobby as an EMT-P  - Emergency Medical Technician/Paramedic). Bob's now a record producer and has the coolest scale model of Disneyland Main Street in his backyard. Has a train running through the whole thing. (Bobby has a BIG backyard).

Met and heard a lot of rockers growing up here in LA. 'Course living in LA I see lot's of people you see on TV or in the movies. See a lot of well known people at supermarket. It's kind of embarassing to be standing behind someone in the checkout line and at the same time see their face plastered on the cover of  The National Enquirer.

Odd, never thought much about until this thread.

"Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends, Come Inside, Come Inside."

"
Brain Salad Surgery"
Emerson, Lake and Palmer

bobbystahr ( ) posted Wed, 05 November 2008 at 8:56 AM

Ah,,, the good old days...just remembered where I saw Country Joe and the Fish...'The Retinal Circus' on Davie Street In Van. B.C  in 1969...same year I saw the Quicksilver Messenger Service at the PNE also in Van. and I swear I was floating for the whole concert, tho it may well have been what I ate before the concert...LOL

I see a sound
and try to write it down
Tinkling light sound
The Sun comes up again

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.