Wed, Oct 23, 11:20 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Photography

Welcome to the Photography Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Photography F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 12:22 pm)

Subject: should I stick to the rules?

babuci ( ) posted Sun, 09 November 2008 at 9:33 PM · edited Wed, 23 October 2024 at 11:19 AM

file_417557.jpg

Hello photo ppl!

Few days ago I uploaded a sunset on a lake, a nice blue tone sun in the middle. I got one coment advised not to put a sunt in the middle. I have to say I totaly agree so my capture would nicely display a third of rule method.  Honestly the sky was nice blue so as a water other then that not much was going on a sky ( not much colorful cloud)so I decided to place a sun in the middle hoping for some center attention with a setting redish sun.

I would of crop it so I have a sun on the side but a sky still would be kinda boring so I left a whole lot as you see it.

So here comes my question not just concerning this capture. Should I be tough on myself and simply delete shots what not apply on any rules?

I am interested what you think or would do...seeya  Tunde

ledwolorz ( ) posted Sun, 09 November 2008 at 10:09 PM

I think that (with full respect to the person commenting about photography rules) the only rule apply is your rule.
There is nothing wrong with this photo of yours. Colors, interesting symmetry, mood - everything is here. If anything this photo with the minimum information holds you in thinking, what's behind the horizon? helps ones imagination flowing.
Rules a helpful, but breaking them makes this subjective art form interesting.
aleks

bclaytonphoto ( ) posted Sun, 09 November 2008 at 10:12 PM

never delete a shot because  of what someone else says..

I think the image you have shown us is a fine photo...

If everyone followed the "rules" think how boring life would be !!!

Follow your heart my friend...let your soul guide your work..Not your mind..

When I have scenes like this to shoot..I try things as many different ways as I can think of..

a vertical frame might have been very effective here..

The rule of thirds is a great "suggestion"

But not every photo was supposed  to be shot like that..

IMHO one of the greatest things about digital is the freedom it allows us as artists..

Who cares if we make mistakes..It's not like we are wasting film and processing...

If the shot feels right...take it

www.bclaytonphoto.com

bclaytonphoto on Facebook

ejn ( ) posted Mon, 10 November 2008 at 2:49 AM

As the old saying goes "if you cant please everyone then please yourself"
If we all went for the "Rule of thirds " theory many of us would not display any images.
The rule of thirds is very good and easy when doing a painting but not so easy when doing photography.
So the question is do you take a great shot or do you think "oh crap nothing in that third..better not take it"
We all strive for a good image but it isnt always possible to meet the criteria of every ones whims.
Nice shot by the way

durleybeachbum ( ) posted Mon, 10 November 2008 at 3:01 AM

I agree with all the above: regardless of the 'rules', which I consider guidelines rather, you KNOW when you've got a good pic from that feeling when you look at the playback!

babuci ( ) posted Mon, 10 November 2008 at 3:24 AM

I am here, listening...I mean absorbing what you guys and girls write back.

seeya  Tunde

ejn ( ) posted Mon, 10 November 2008 at 4:45 AM

Actually I will add a bit more.I joined a site a couple of weeks ago and sold a couple of images..very nice.

But since then anything I have added to the site I have been super critical about and today I am getting more images ready and going over them with the proverbial fine tooth comb and whilst having a break for about the hundredth cup of tea began to wonder if it was taking some of the fun out of it.We all want our images to be great but where do you draw the line on the "is it good enough" question. 
Is it over saturated..is it under saturated..should I do a curves adjustment..should I go for rules of thirds..should I crop it..I'm going for another cup of tea :-) 

Eddie

mark.spooner ( ) posted Mon, 10 November 2008 at 5:18 AM

Rules can be good, they can give you structure but there comes a time when you can only progress by going beyond them.  Rules can be chains as well as supports. 

L8RDAZE ( ) posted Mon, 10 November 2008 at 5:34 AM

Goin' with your gut instinct...is usually the way to go in my book.  

awjay ( ) posted Mon, 10 November 2008 at 5:47 AM

ive never been one for rules .......

except if I like it I post it.......

its your pic ...... no one elses

girsempa ( ) posted Tue, 11 November 2008 at 4:59 AM

The rule of thirds is one of those things that you'll find in every beginner's guidelines... think of it as something like "Photography For Dummies".

It's like someone telling you that you can only walk on the left side of the road (the safest side when cars are driving on the right) when going out for a picture hike. But what if you find something interesting on the right side of the road..? Or even on the middle of the road ;o)

We do not see things as they are. ǝɹɐ ǝʍ sɐ sƃuıɥʇ ǝǝs ǝʍ

Tanchelyn ( ) posted Tue, 11 November 2008 at 5:21 AM · edited Tue, 11 November 2008 at 5:22 AM

Chirpy chirpy cheep cheep...

lol.

The most basic rule is that there are no rules.
Creativity is a sacred uproar, a pathless land, an ongoing discovery, an anarchistic lovestory for outlaws.

If humankind (like this better than mankind, which is too MCP) had never tried to go beyond the rules, we would still be living in caves.

Which, from another point of view, might have had its advantages for Mother Nature...

There are no Borg. All resistance is fertile.

thundering1 ( ) posted Wed, 12 November 2008 at 9:38 PM

Photography "rules" are a starting point - nothing more.

They are best used for learning, to keep people from taking (just as an example) portraits (if you can visualize this in your head) where the subject is completely in the lower half exact center of the fully exposed image - total waste of space, etc., and when blowing it up to fit larger sizes it will fall apart VERY fast. Use the frame, etc.

I've seen absolutely gorgeous images where the "horizon" is just barely above the very bottom of the image - or barely below the top.

As mentioned above, follow your gut - and shoot what YOU want to see - not what you think will please others.

Hope this helps-
-Lew ;-)

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.