Sat, Sep 21, 12:19 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Photography

Welcome to the Photography Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Photography F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 12:22 pm)

Subject: Infrared (IR) Photography Thread

john010766 ( ) posted Wed, 02 July 2008 at 6:17 PM

hi all
heres an interesting document I have come across comparing the Canon 350D (Digital Rebel) and the new IR capable Fjui IS-1 camera.

Apparently it wont let me upload a PDF file. So if you want a copy please email and I will forward it on

many thanks

mrmadmikie ( ) posted Sat, 05 July 2008 at 5:15 AM

file_409492.jpg

Peptobismolland, for when you have stayed to long in Candyland...  Just a quick three hours up I95.  ![](http://www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/art/emoticons/wink.gif)

Saturation gone Mad.

Mike

TwoPynts ( ) posted Fri, 11 July 2008 at 10:18 AM

LoL @ Mike! I'll have to visit the next time I get indejestion. ;'P (cool shot!)

Kort Kramer - Kramer Kreations

Kiddego ( ) posted Mon, 21 July 2008 at 4:24 PM

file_410399.jpg

I have been playing with the channel mixer.. and I know its normal to use it once on infrared... but I have found playing with it more then once on the same photo almost brings it back to a normal photo... let me know what you think.. im pretty new with infrared :-)

Kiddego ( ) posted Tue, 22 July 2008 at 11:51 AM

file_410430.jpg

Here is another one playing with the channel mixer.. and selective color mask I am using a Canon Rebel XT mod into an infrared Camera.. I have to say I enjoy IR much more then Normal Photography... the hardest part im having is understanding the white balance.. and auto focus does not seem to work very well... seems 1 out of every 20 shots are in focus when I use Auto Focus...So any tips would be awesome :-)

TwoPynts ( ) posted Tue, 22 July 2008 at 12:38 PM

Really neat stuff Kiddego, I love the intense colors. Yet it still has a strong IR feel. Excellent!!!

Kiddego ( ) posted Tue, 22 July 2008 at 1:44 PM

file_410437.jpg

Thanks Kort :-) Here is one more IR shot .... By the way Kramer use to make some awesome guitars back in the day!! :-) Robert

TomDart ( ) posted Wed, 23 July 2008 at 7:28 PM · edited Wed, 23 July 2008 at 7:28 PM

newbie are us....in IR.

I have a floppy disc taken apart and can get about 1" of filter from that, guessing.

So. at that point, what to do to get something like a IR image?  My D70 will do pretty well with IR while my D200 is corrected better and won't do squat with IR.        thanks,      TomDart.

Kiddego ( ) posted Wed, 23 July 2008 at 7:44 PM

Hi Tom
I bought a used Canon Rebel XT and sent it to this company
http://www.lifepixel.com/

they mod it into an infrared camera for me.... I chose the **Enhanced Color IR Filter
I wish I would have chose the standard color IR Filter... because the colors come out way to bright for my taste....

But they had it done and shipped back to me in less then 10 days

TomDart ( ) posted Wed, 23 July 2008 at 7:49 PM

Thanks for the info.  And thanks for advice on the IR filter choices and your thoughts on that.  Tom.

Kiddego ( ) posted Wed, 23 July 2008 at 8:01 PM

Anytime Tom :-) you just got every bit of knowledge I have on IR filters and shooting.... lol
I am very much a point and click and hope it works kind of guy. I am so new with this thing :-)
Kort on here seems to know a lot about IR... and he seems like a really great guy I have been reading a lot of his threads.... He might be able to answer anything you want to know about it... or point you in the right direction....

I got into it after seeing the works of....... http://www.myinfrared.com/
and talking to a guy that post images there.... His english was really broken... but after a few long talks I finally bought a camera and sent it off....
Have a great Day Tom!!
Robert

TwoPynts ( ) posted Tue, 05 August 2008 at 12:27 PM

Hey Robert. Never had a Kramer guitar...but should pick one up, eh? Cool beach shot. I'll have some more to post soon. Be sure to check out the links at the very first page of this thread if you haven't already, esp. the blog and IR forum... Cheers! ~Kort

Kiddego ( ) posted Mon, 11 August 2008 at 6:19 PM

well if you can find one of the first original Kramer guitars you might be dropping about 10 grand :-)3 I could be mistaking but i think they are out of business now... they also made some real junk as well :-)3

L8RDAZE ( ) posted Sat, 06 September 2008 at 8:23 PM

file_413460.jpg

Whoa! Missed some cool stuff & tips in this thread...I'll have to give the channel mixer a double shot! LOL! 

Here's one to keep the IR thread alive and kickin'

J🆒E

babuci ( ) posted Sat, 06 September 2008 at 9:17 PM

Windmill, IR ...great combination Joe.

seeya  Tunde

LovelyPoetess ( ) posted Sun, 19 October 2008 at 9:29 AM

file_415855.jpg

I posted a non IR version of the shot in the forum challenge, but I actually prefer this IR shot of the same scene.

That is a red sailboat caught up in all that bush.

: ) 

They say a picture is worth a thousand words...

So where do they go when a photograph leaves you speechless? 

L8RDAZE ( ) posted Sun, 02 November 2008 at 5:46 PM

Here's an alternate IR workflow to experiment with: (Note this won't work on B&W IR images of course)

This is for Photoshop, but should work in other image processors as well that have similar functionality:

1. load IR image
  2. duplicate image to new layer and select this layer.***
    ***3) Change Blend Mode to Color
    4) Image>Adjustments>Auto Color
  3. Image>Adjustments>Invert
  4. Use Hue/Saturation  Adjustment Layer to tweek colors
  5. Use Selective Color Adjustment Layer for more tweeks

Again its all about experimenting...give it a go and share your results.

J:woot:e

bclaytonphoto ( ) posted Sun, 02 November 2008 at 9:30 PM

wow Joe..the last one is mind blowing..

www.bclaytonphoto.com

bclaytonphoto on Facebook

TwoPynts ( ) posted Mon, 03 November 2008 at 8:10 AM

Good alternate workflow Joe, and some sweet images. It is good to see this thread alive and kicking still.

LovelyPoetess ( ) posted Mon, 03 November 2008 at 9:59 PM

file_417078.jpg

Ohhh Thanks Joe, I like that work flow!  Played with this one with it.   : ) 

TwoPynts ( ) posted Tue, 04 November 2008 at 8:31 AM

I'll have to do another soon...nice shot there Lovely!

L8RDAZE ( ) posted Mon, 10 November 2008 at 3:27 PM

Cool result using the workflow steps there LP!

👍

TwoPynts ( ) posted Tue, 11 November 2008 at 12:34 PM · edited Tue, 11 November 2008 at 12:35 PM

file_417687.jpg

Thought this cloudy late afternoon shot coming home from work shot was kinda neat. Not gallery worthy, but perhaps forum worthy. ;']

L8RDAZE ( ) posted Tue, 11 November 2008 at 2:48 PM

Yeah...the IR really brings out the awesome clouds.

LovelyPoetess ( ) posted Tue, 11 November 2008 at 8:07 PM

Wow, was that shot taken through the windshield while driving, TwoPynts? 

I would never get that clear a shot, between camera jiggle and driving (and not to mention I'd have to clean the windshield first)  I'd not even have a forum worthy shot LOL

Very nice dramatic clouds though, I'm going to have to try for some shots of clouds, although up north here we don't get impressive build ups as often as down your way.  

LovelyPoetess ( ) posted Thu, 01 January 2009 at 8:17 PM · edited Thu, 01 January 2009 at 8:20 PM

file_420930.jpg

Couldn't think of a better way than spending the new year than playing with photos in photoshop.  : )

Here are a few IR shots taken in a greenhouse that I finally got round to processing.

LovelyPoetess ( ) posted Thu, 01 January 2009 at 8:18 PM

file_420931.jpg

Hope your first day of the year was as enjoyable as mine.

TwoPynts ( ) posted Tue, 21 April 2009 at 2:26 PM · edited Tue, 21 April 2009 at 2:27 PM

file_429116.jpg

It was, thanks. Lovely flowers btw. Here is a shot I took today, near my office.

TwoPynts ( ) posted Tue, 05 May 2009 at 2:53 PM

file_430268.jpg

From this past Saturday. Visited a farm with a blueberry patch, my daughter was picking. The moon is in the sky. Only color swapped the sky in this one so as not to give her blue skin. Though it would have been appropriate. :)

LovelyPoetess ( ) posted Wed, 06 May 2009 at 8:53 PM

Neat shot! And I agree, blue skin in a blueberry patch would not have been out of line at all!

StaneeRae ( ) posted Tue, 12 May 2009 at 2:49 PM

file_430689.jpg

Here is a self portrait taken with an infrared-modified Nikon 4500 (swivel body point & shoot).  Wing brushes were purchased in Renderosity Marketplace.

TwoPynts ( ) posted Tue, 12 May 2009 at 3:11 PM

Wonderful photo and postwork. All the elements really work here. Thanks for sharing!

LovelyPoetess ( ) posted Tue, 12 May 2009 at 6:48 PM

Wow, really cool work there StaneeRae!  I've often felt that IR is very "Fey" looking.

StaneeRae ( ) posted Tue, 12 May 2009 at 8:02 PM

file_430705.jpg

Thanks for the compliments.  Here is another, taken at a local cemetery.  That's actually a mausoleum, although it looks like a chapel.

TwoPynts ( ) posted Wed, 13 May 2009 at 10:41 AM

Another winner! These need to go into your gallery here Stanee Rae! :o)

jcpowell ( ) posted Wed, 13 May 2009 at 3:34 PM

Glad to see this thread active again! 

Here's one from today...

WEBSITE - www.jcpowellphotography.com

FACEBOOK PAGE - https://www.facebook.com/JCPowellPhotography

TwoPynts ( ) posted Thu, 14 May 2009 at 7:44 AM

Cool one Joe. I love the feeling of 'old' that it has. :o)

TwoPynts ( ) posted Thu, 14 May 2009 at 7:57 AM

file_430810.jpg

Here's a photo of a hibiscus from outside my office.

bclaytonphoto ( ) posted Thu, 14 May 2009 at 10:46 PM
jcpowell ( ) posted Tue, 30 June 2009 at 11:17 PM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/index.php?image_id=1901986

![](http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/media/folder_191/display_1901986.jpg)

One from a few weeks ago when I went up to the Catskills in NY.  This is a waterfall at Mine Kill State Park.  IR modded Canon G6

WEBSITE - www.jcpowellphotography.com

FACEBOOK PAGE - https://www.facebook.com/JCPowellPhotography

TwoPynts ( ) posted Wed, 01 July 2009 at 2:47 PM

Hey Joe, that's a gorgeous waterfall shot. The IR gives it a real fantasy look.

TwoPynts ( ) posted Mon, 21 September 2009 at 3:03 PM

file_439796.jpg

Not sure whether to revive this thread or not, but I had some extra IR shots that I didn't feel were gallery worthy but wanted to share. These three are all from Useppa Island. I thought this oversized chess board next to the pool was kinda neat. Make me think of The Island from the old Prisoner TV show. (soon to be a major motion picture)

TwoPynts ( ) posted Mon, 21 September 2009 at 3:04 PM

file_439797.jpg

There was lots of Spanish Moss hanging from the trees on this island.

TwoPynts ( ) posted Mon, 21 September 2009 at 3:04 PM

file_439798.jpg

Kind of a nice spot with the palm trees all lined up.

LovelyPoetess ( ) posted Mon, 21 September 2009 at 7:47 PM

Revive away!  I've been neglecting IR of late, should get back at it while there is still some greenery around.  These shots should put a fire under me.

Love the chess one, and I'd not heard they were making a movie of that old series.

TwoPynts ( ) posted Mon, 21 September 2009 at 10:00 PM

Glad to light ya up! ;'] http://www.amctv.com/originals/the-prisoner/

TwoPynts ( ) posted Tue, 22 September 2009 at 3:36 PM

file_439846.jpg

Here's another IR view from Useppa looking back towards the West FL coast. You can see rain falling.

TwoPynts ( ) posted Tue, 16 February 2010 at 9:32 AM

Attached Link: Blanchette Photo

I created a IR Photography group at LinkedIn.com and a new member joined today. His IR photography is outstanding so I wanted to share his gallery with you. ~Kort

LovelyPoetess ( ) posted Tue, 16 February 2010 at 8:46 PM

Wow, those were extremely well done. Thank you for posting the link.

LovelyPoetess ( ) posted Sun, 28 March 2010 at 10:33 AM

file_450272.jpg

I was out yesterday with camera(s) at my favorite little creek and as it was a bit on the gloomy side it got me to wondering if one could do HDR on IR shots.

Of course being up further north, nothing much is green yet but I've gotten some interesting shots of the formerly green before so I started shooting with my IR modified camera.

I tried a little 'sperimenting and took some bracketed shots. Although I didn't have my tripod with me I had a few scenes that came out well enough to stack them in photoshop.

Did the usual IR post processing and then stacked and this is one of the results.

I think I shall do some more 'sperimenting once it does get all green outside.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.