Wed, Oct 2, 11:26 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 02 9:25 am)

Subject: adware or spyware

rockets ( ) posted Fri, 21 November 2008 at 5:33 AM · edited Wed, 02 October 2024 at 9:42 PM

What's a good program to get rid of adware or spyware, preferably free?  Thanks

My idea of rebooting is kicking somebody in the butt twice!

tantarus ( ) posted Fri, 21 November 2008 at 6:05 AM

Spybot search & destroy, but watch out for spelling because there are false apps that have very similar name.

Tihomir

Open your mind and share the knowledge!

rockets ( ) posted Fri, 21 November 2008 at 6:19 AM

Thanks tantarus!

EnglishBob ( ) posted Fri, 21 November 2008 at 6:27 AM

Attached Link: http://www.download.com/Spybot-Search-Destroy/3000-8022_4-10122137.html

Here's a reliable link to get it from. Also try AdAware which you can get from the same site. Unlike anti-virus and firewalls, it doesn't hurt to have several spyware killers. Quite often one will find things that the others don't. Do take care with the results, though, it can be easy to delete something you shouldn't.

tantarus ( ) posted Fri, 21 November 2008 at 6:34 AM

Yes, AdAware is also great tool. Check for updates and DL them every week or they will not protect you much after some time :)

Tihomir

Open your mind and share the knowledge!

nyguy ( ) posted Fri, 21 November 2008 at 7:01 AM

I recommend running both Spybot and adaware together. Usually what one misses the other finds. Another good tool  and it runs okay is Microsoft's Windows Defender

Poserverse The New Home for NYGUY's Freebies

rockets ( ) posted Fri, 21 November 2008 at 7:52 AM
  1. Thanks everyone, I'll give em a try.  I thought Adaware wasn't free?

hborre ( ) posted Fri, 21 November 2008 at 8:34 AM

Adaware is free.  It does have an AdWatch component which is only available with license purchase .

JVRenderer ( ) posted Fri, 21 November 2008 at 9:07 AM

I use Adaware in conjunction with spybot search & destroy and ccleaner.. You can download them from filehippo.com
Maybe I am just paranoid.

Software: Daz Studio 4.15,  Photoshop CC, Zbrush 2022, Blender 3.3, Silo 2.3, Filter Forge 4. Marvelous Designer 7

Hardware: self built Intel Core i7 8086K, 64GB RAM,  RTX 3090 .

"If you spend too much time arguing about software, you're spending too little time creating art!" ~ SomeSmartAss

"A critic is a legless man who teaches running." ~ Channing Pollock

My Gallery  My Other Gallery 

EnglishBob ( ) posted Fri, 21 November 2008 at 9:47 AM

Quote - Maybe I am just paranoid.

Not at all. It isn't paranoia if they really are out to get you. ;-)

Plutom ( ) posted Fri, 21 November 2008 at 2:07 PM

One other thing you should do, in Internet Explorer >Tools> Internet Options > Privacy, move the selector all the way up so the site can't upload their cookies to your computer (before you surf the net).  Of course, slide it down again when you want to enter trusted sites like Renderosity.

Every day go into IE Tools >Internet Options, select delete and delete files and delete history, then go to settings, open it and delete all those cookies that you failed to stop (Except of course for Renderosity and your other trusted sites).  Then go to Disk Clean up or your other favorite scrubber and clean the rest of the trash off your hard drive (one can accumulate 30 plus megbits of the garbage everyday--you can intercept a lot of spyware there) .   Jan

Winterclaw ( ) posted Fri, 21 November 2008 at 2:46 PM

Do what NYguy suggested and run both.

WARK!

Thus Spoketh Winterclaw: a blog about a Winterclaw who speaks from time to time.

(using Poser Pro 2014 SR3, on 64 bit Win 7, poser units are inches.)

pakled ( ) posted Fri, 21 November 2008 at 7:23 PM

also, there's another program called Avast, which you can get (if you're non-commercial site) free updates for a year. Seems to work fairly well, although sometimes I can't delete the file, just have to move it into the Chest.

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

RedPhantom ( ) posted Fri, 21 November 2008 at 7:48 PM
Site Admin

I thought Avast was an avtivirus program. Though it seems good for that.

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader Monster of the North and The Shimmering Mage

Today I break my own personal record for the number of days for being alive.
Check out my store here or my free stuff here
I use Poser 13 and win 10

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.