Mon, Oct 21, 11:15 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Vue

Welcome to the Vue Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, TheBryster

Vue F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 17 8:34 am)

Subject: Vue7 Memory Hog?

thefixer ( ) posted Wed, 03 December 2008 at 1:30 PM · edited Sun, 20 October 2024 at 6:56 AM

Vue 6 Infinite scene, resources free showing at 76% which is kind of usual for what I do, lots of Poser imports!

Same scene in Vue 7 Infinite, resources down at 56%, the lowest I've ever seen Vue drop on my system which has 8 Gig of RAM.

Anyone else noticed the resource drop??

There's something not right there I think!

Injustice will be avenged.
Cofiwch Dryweryn.

Rutra ( ) posted Wed, 03 December 2008 at 1:35 PM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/showthread.php?message_id=3329811

There was a thread some days ago about memory usage in V7, see link. The memory usage in V7 is higher than in V6, apparently, but I never noticed something as radical as what you are experiencing. Maybe there's some specific item that's causing it. You could delete one by one to see if there's a "jump" in some of them.

thefixer ( ) posted Wed, 03 December 2008 at 1:48 PM

That maybe so Rutra, it doesn't explain why an identical scene should have a difference of 20%!!
It's a good job I have 8 Gig of RAM or I might have run out with this particular set up!!

Cofiwch Dryweryn.

Rutra ( ) posted Wed, 03 December 2008 at 2:31 PM

If you haven't noticed it before, I still think it's a good idea to delete item by item to see if there's some jump in the resource usage for some of them.

thefixer ( ) posted Wed, 03 December 2008 at 2:45 PM

Oh I will try it for sure, it's still worrying though to see my resource so low with 8 Gigs!!

Cofiwch Dryweryn.

agiel ( ) posted Wed, 03 December 2008 at 3:59 PM

Also - check your settings - Undo Levels for example.

When I installed Vue 7i as an upgrade, it set my Undo Levels back to 5, while I had it set to 2 in Vue 6i.

thefixer ( ) posted Wed, 03 December 2008 at 4:18 PM

That's all very well, it's still very worrying that a system running with 8 Gigs of RAM can drop to 52% of that memory in direct comparison to Vue6.

Whichever way you cut it or check this and check that, in the final analysis it still shouldn't be dropping that much IMO!!
Vue 6 didn't, I don't see why 7 should!
I have to say I'm very disappointed that there seems to be a memory issue yet again, lessons from Vue 6 appear not to have been learned!

Cofiwch Dryweryn.

Rutra ( ) posted Wed, 03 December 2008 at 4:36 PM

I don't think you should take conclusions that fast. Agiel is perfectly right. The undo levels wastes a big amount of memory. You probably had Vue6 with 1 or 2 (I know I did) and if you didn't change it in Vue7, it has 5. If you want to compare vue 6 and 7, you have to make sure that the starting conditions are the same.

Paula Sanders ( ) posted Wed, 03 December 2008 at 6:05 PM · edited Wed, 03 December 2008 at 6:06 PM

I believe I am comparing apples to apples. I checked my undo levels, for example, and they are both at 5. When I open Vue 6 I after a reboot without doing anything but having the blank scene open, my resorces are 85%. When I reboot and do the same with Vue 7 I, the resources are 74%. I have tried this numerous times with the same results.

chippwalters ( ) posted Wed, 03 December 2008 at 7:27 PM

Chances are, Vue 6 and Vue 7 handle memory differently. There is a whole new OpenGL implementation in Vue 7...plus many added features which would increase memory demand-- like Re-Use Indirect lighting for instance.

I suppose one test is how far  down the resources go before Vue is unusable?

jc ( ) posted Wed, 03 December 2008 at 9:31 PM

I also find V7 using more memory that V6, but as Chipp points out, I've had V7 down to 12% resources and no crash, whereas V6 used to crash on me anywhere under 45%.

And, as he says, there are significant new resources using memory - resources I'm very happy to have and use.

Have also loaded big .obj models into V7 that crash V6, with no problems - except some slowing of the GUI.

thefixer ( ) posted Thu, 04 December 2008 at 1:25 AM

Ok, some checks, opened Vue6 and Vue7 from start up, blank default state, both showing 89% free resource, so that's good!!

Undo levels in Vue7 were indeed at 5, but so are my Vue6 ones when I checked, so like for like there too!

The scene I was using didn't use any of the new fetaures as far as I know except for any differences in the display management!

It's not my intention to run the app down, I love Vue, but I really think this will show to be an issue as more peeps start using it, admittedly I haven't pushed it to a crash yet, it's still worrying that with 8 Gigs I drop to 52% resource, at this rate I'll need 16 for Vue8!! [LOL].

Cofiwch Dryweryn.

bruno021 ( ) posted Thu, 04 December 2008 at 12:39 PM

thefixzer, check if you have line and scene anti alising in your display options Unchecking those give back some resources

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.