Mon, Sep 9, 4:50 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Challenge Arena

Welcome to the Challenge Arena Forum

Forum Moderators: Deenamic

Challenge Arena F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 09 3:56 am)

Welcome to the

Challenge Arena

This forum is dedicated to learning, creating and pushing yourself to meet the
challenges that have been posted by other members of Renderosity.

Hope to see you here!

Checkout the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: December Challenge - FREE FOR ALL!

tresamie ( ) posted Sat, 06 December 2008 at 11:15 PM · edited Thu, 29 August 2024 at 9:51 PM

We are going to try something really different this month.  We are opening the challenge to anyone, using any software or technique, and with ANY TOPIC they choose!  You can share your holidays, show us the weather on a distant planet, tell us a ghost story... anything you like.

This challenge is for everyone, regardless of their creative tools.  Everyone can enter, whether they are using 2D, 3D, fractal, animation or any other software;  whether they are photographers, writers or even musicians.  The challenge arena is open to all.  Come and join in, test your creative tools against all the others!

The Challenge begins immediately and will close to entries at the end of December. I will give you a few days notice.  All entries will be to this thread or with a link to a larger image. Voting will begin then in the same thread. 

You may enter an existing work if you like, but we would prefer to see a new work created for this challenge... it IS a challenge after all, lol!  You may enter more than one work, but remember that in the voting, each entry will be judged separately. If you choose to enter more than once, please NAME EACH OF YOUR ENTRIES!

Let the inspiration shine!

~Viv

Fractals will always amaze me!

koosievantutte ( ) posted Sun, 07 December 2008 at 12:49 AM · edited Sun, 07 December 2008 at 12:58 AM

file_419379.jpg

it was a long time ago that i participated - this tangram cartoon was made 2 days ago.

the title is (you may have guessed): gossip

"The light at the end of the tunnel may be an oncoming train"

jstro ( ) posted Sun, 07 December 2008 at 8:25 AM

Quote - it was a long time ago that i participated - this tangram cartoon was made 2 days ago.

the title is (you may have guessed): gossip

That's great. I love it.
~jon

~jon
My Blog - Mad Utopia Writing in a new era.

tresamie ( ) posted Sun, 07 December 2008 at 12:06 PM

What a great graphic image!  It made me laugh :)

~Viv

hauksdottir ( ) posted Mon, 08 December 2008 at 1:19 AM · edited Wed, 10 December 2008 at 11:28 AM

OK, free-for-all... that means anything from silhouettes of nude mud wrestling to Bach fugues played on nose flutes and kazoos?

Sorry, I've been distracted and thoroughly migrained (filthy sick and uncreative).  This evening?  I left a note for my landlady that her traps were not working.

I was taking migraine medicine in the dark, and dropped the pill. Turned on the light and went back to look for it in the basket.

Heard thumping behind the stove and watched as Your Rat (TM): dashed out, hopped over the trap, scooted through the maze of bottles/bags, careened off my pyjama leg, ignored the empty catfood dishes, hesitated in the livingroom (if the door had been open, I think he would have exited), turned left... and vanished in the dark.

I don't think he went into the computer room, because Skrogg was sleeping there. (this seat is still warm)

I hope he leapt into the pile of boxes. I fear he is hiding in the bedroom.

This would be amusing if I didn't feel like refried-beans-gone-bad.

It may be time to practice the recorder and see if I can find the combination of notes that summons rats from their holes. Or something.

He's got to be hungry, so after panic wears off, he should come into the kitchenagain. Either that, or I keep my toes under the covers.
I hold Open House on Christmas Day. 27 years of friends gathered around a tree, playing games and drinking spiced cider and chattering away. The last thing I need i s an acrobatic rat adding to the festivities. This house is cluttered with art supplies, fabric, uncompleted projects. A nesting rat, probably pregnant, is not welcome. It doesn't snow here in the Bay Area. They can live outside. So, yes, sick, busy, and distracted. I need to finish something for Faeriewylde's giveaway, but I'll try to put something up here, too. sigh Carolly

hauksdottir ( ) posted Mon, 08 December 2008 at 1:28 AM

Damnity!!!  I've made it worse the third time i tried to fix it.

Viv, why isn't line wrap working?  Can you fix this???

I'm taking my headache and going back to bed.

tresamie ( ) posted Mon, 08 December 2008 at 7:46 AM

I don't know what's going on here, but something is not working right.  I have a request for help in to the IT team so I am sure it will be fixed.

~Viv

KarenJ ( ) posted Wed, 10 December 2008 at 11:31 AM

Hey Carolly! It's nice to see you :-)

I fixed the issue - for some reason the blue text also had the "pre" tag around it, which I think makes it into no-wrap text. I took that out, and it seems to have fixed the wrap problem.

I hope you find your unwanted visitor and evict him/her soon!

"you are terrifying
and strange and beautiful
something not everyone knows how to love." - Warsan Shire

hauksdottir ( ) posted Wed, 10 December 2008 at 8:36 PM

Hi, Karen!

Thanks.

Last night I tried to rebait a trap with cheese... and managed to snap my own fingers.  The left forefinger of this wizard is going to be identifiable from the odd crook in it. :(

My landlady came over this evening and added peanut butter.  We're using everything but catfood, which is what he is eating.  I don't want to catch my cat in there.  The rat is strange.  He isn't scarfing anything off the floor, just cat kibble from her bowl.  Skrogg is 16, and doesn't need this sort of indignity.

Carolly

KarenJ ( ) posted Thu, 11 December 2008 at 1:09 AM

Ouch!! That had to hurt...

The only time I've had a rat in the house uninvited was when my cat actually brought one in, and then didn't know what to do with it. So he left it in the bathroom.

We eventually caught it in a bucket with the aid of a broom and threw it out of the house, but there was considerable screaming and panic before that happened ;-)

"you are terrifying
and strange and beautiful
something not everyone knows how to love." - Warsan Shire

bwtr ( ) posted Tue, 16 December 2008 at 11:23 PM

file_420036.jpg

MoI Worm/Insect (Then taken into Carrara)

Brian

bwtr

bwtr ( ) posted Tue, 16 December 2008 at 11:25 PM

file_420037.jpg

A Mechanical "Claw",

Modelled in MOI then taken into Carrara.

Brian

bwtr

bwtr ( ) posted Tue, 16 December 2008 at 11:29 PM · edited Tue, 16 December 2008 at 11:34 PM

file_420038.jpg

A Castle

Modelled in MoI

Brian

bwtr

bwtr ( ) posted Tue, 16 December 2008 at 11:32 PM

file_420039.jpg

And, Happy New Year! Modelled in MoI, rendered in Carrara.

Brian

bwtr

bwtr ( ) posted Wed, 17 December 2008 at 12:11 AM

file_420041.jpg

And, Kangaroo Steam Punk!

MoI/Carrara

Brian

bwtr

bwtr ( ) posted Wed, 17 December 2008 at 12:13 AM

file_420043.jpg

AND,The Screw Modelling exercise----

Again, MoI/Carrara.

(Should I start on the November stuff?)

Guess who has been having fun!

Brian

bwtr

TheOwl ( ) posted Wed, 17 December 2008 at 8:03 AM · edited Wed, 17 December 2008 at 8:03 AM

O
-oo-
   i
/    

^^^
The reason most men like poser. :}

Passion is anger and love combined. So if it looks angry, give it some love!

Analog-X64 ( ) posted Wed, 17 December 2008 at 10:32 AM · edited Wed, 17 December 2008 at 10:36 AM

file_420059.jpg

Here is my entry and just in time for the Holidays.

Click Pic for larger version and go Here for my gallery version.

bwtr ( ) posted Wed, 17 December 2008 at 8:36 PM

file_420096.jpg

And, PolychaeteWorm Version

MoI/Carrara

Brian

bwtr

L8RDAZE ( ) posted Thu, 18 December 2008 at 11:55 AM

Attached Link: Under My Skin

Was messing around with a photo and some filters in Photoshop....

stardust ( ) posted Thu, 25 December 2008 at 12:43 AM

This is my first entry in the Challenge Arena - I really liked that it was totally open to anything :) 

Rendered in Carrara 7 Pro, composited in Sony Vegas, and score done in Cinescore.

My original idea was based on 'Slow Art' that I've seen around the net, and I wanted to
create some interesting landscapes in Carrara. I thought about using Vue 7, but that's too easy
and it wouldn't be much of a challenge then, would it  :) 

Here is the link to the video - I hope you enjoy!

www.vimeo.com/2626515

Happy Holidays!

RENDERHOLICS

koosievantutte ( ) posted Thu, 25 December 2008 at 12:58 AM

you did a great job, i like it very much. and merry christmas to you too.

stardust ( ) posted Thu, 25 December 2008 at 1:04 AM

Thanks koosiecantutte :) 

tresamie ( ) posted Thu, 25 December 2008 at 1:39 AM

These are some fantastic entries coming in!  Let's keep entries open until Sunday night. Dec. 28 at 23:59 Renderosity time (US Central Time).  If anyone needs a bit more time to complete a render, let me know and I will work it out.

~Viv

ThunderStone ( ) posted Thu, 25 December 2008 at 4:50 AM

file_420502.jpg

Here's my image...

Happy Holidays

===========================================================

Poser: Poser 11.3 ...... Units: inches or meters depends on mood
Bryce: Bryce Pro 7.1.074
Image Editing: Corel Paintshop Pro
Renderer: Superfly, Firefly

9/11/2001: Never forget...

Smiles are contagious... Pass it on!

Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday

koosievantutte ( ) posted Thu, 25 December 2008 at 4:56 AM

very fine one and the same to you.

tresamie ( ) posted Wed, 31 December 2008 at 8:19 PM

Sorry!  I needed a bit more time.  This has been an interesting challenge!  I'm sorry for not giving you the attention you deserve.  My resolution is to try to do better.  Please look carefully through the entries.  The voting will be in this thread, after this entry.  You get to choose your 3 favorite entries, giving each of them 3, 2 or 1 points.  Remember, you are choosing an entry, not an artist.  If someone has posted more than one entry, you need to indicate which is your choice by name. 

Your vote should look something like this:

Free - "ForAll" - 3 points
Art - "IsFun" - 2 points
Solstice - "Celebration" - 1 point

Feel free to nominate Honorable Mentions or make comments.

~Viv

OldHippieKeyboard ( ) posted Thu, 01 January 2009 at 2:45 AM

Renderholics - "Here" - 3 points
koosievantutte - "gossip" - 2 points
L8RDAZE - "Under My Skin" - 1 point

Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together...
____

hauksdottir ( ) posted Fri, 02 January 2009 at 6:06 PM

**Renderholics - "Here" - 3 pts

bwtr - "Kangaroo Steam Punk!" - 2 pts
**L8RDAZE - "Under My Skin" - 1 pt  (where did you get that filter???)

A wild and varied selection this month!

Carolly

koosievantutte ( ) posted Sat, 03 January 2009 at 1:08 AM

bwtr - polycaeteworm - 3pts
renderholics - here - 2 pts
thunderstone - ? - 1pt

jstro ( ) posted Mon, 05 January 2009 at 11:44 PM

Ack! I can't believe I missed this one. Oh well. Had a lot of really nice entries this time around. Here are my votes.
3pts to L8RDAZE for Under My Skin. When I saw that it just about knocked my socks off. Very cool.
2pts to Renderholics for Here. Interesting combo of animation and poetry. Loved it.
1 pt to bwtr for 2009. I loved the whimsy of this piece. Made me smile.

Lots of other nice ones too. Good work, all.
~jon

~jon

bwtr ( ) posted Tue, 06 January 2009 at 12:01 AM

Please note.

I am toooo old to need pats on the back or to win whatever.

My "entries" are only intended as inspirations for ideas.

Brian

bwtr

ThunderStone ( ) posted Tue, 06 January 2009 at 3:59 AM

koosievantutte gossip: 3
L8RDAZE under my skin: 2
bwtr The Screw Modelling exercise: 1

===========================================================

Poser: Poser 11.3 ...... Units: inches or meters depends on mood
Bryce: Bryce Pro 7.1.074
Image Editing: Corel Paintshop Pro
Renderer: Superfly, Firefly

9/11/2001: Never forget...

Smiles are contagious... Pass it on!

Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday

Analog-X64 ( ) posted Tue, 06 January 2009 at 8:05 AM

Renderholics - 3
L8RDAZE - 2
koosievantutte - 1

L8RDAZE ( ) posted Tue, 06 January 2009 at 8:51 AM

Renderholics - 3
bwtr - The Claw - 2
koosievantutte -1**

tresamie ( ) posted Sat, 10 January 2009 at 1:29 AM

I will close voting at 23:59 Renderosity Time (American Central) on Saturday, Jan. 10, 2009.  Please get your votes in by then.  I will tabulate the votes and have the results up soon after.  This was fun!

~Viv

tresamie ( ) posted Sun, 11 January 2009 at 12:46 AM · edited Sun, 11 January 2009 at 12:47 AM

This was fun!  It was interesting to see everyone doing whatever inspired them.  Thanks to all who entered, you did a marvelous job.

Here is the count:

Tied for sixth place, with 1 point:  Thunderstone, bwtr's 'Screw Modeling' and bwtr's '2009'

Tied for fifth place, with 2 points:  bwtr's 'Claw' and bwtr's 'Kangaroo Steampunk!'

In fourth place, with 3 points:  bwtr's 'polycaetworm'

In third place, with 7 points:  koosievantutte's 'Gossip'

In second place, with 9 points:  L8RDAZE's 'Under My Skin'

In first place, with 16 points:  Renderholics' 'Here'

I was delighted to see the diversity in this group of entries and the quality was superb!  Renderholics, please let me know what you want to challenge for January!

I am looking forward to what everyone will dream up for the next challenge!

~Viv

stardust ( ) posted Tue, 13 January 2009 at 8:10 AM

Thanks for the votes everyone! I''ll let tresamie know what my choice is for the next challenge today!

jstro ( ) posted Tue, 13 January 2009 at 4:59 PM

Congratulations on the win.
~jon

~jon

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.