Sun, Oct 6, 11:20 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / The MarketPlace Wishing Well

Welcome to the The MarketPlace Wishing Well Forum

Forum Moderators: Staff

The MarketPlace Wishing Well F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 21 3:40 pm)

Have an idea for a MarketPlace product? Would you like to let the MarketPlace Merchants know?
This is the place!

Make sure you check The Product Showcase Forum and The Product Showcase Art Gallery.

Checkout the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: retro fabric textures

scanmead ( ) posted Sun, 30 November 2008 at 10:08 AM · edited Sun, 06 October 2024 at 9:02 AM

After 2 days of searching the web, there's not much out there in the way of the 'new retro' designs to use. You know, like the old formica boomerang pattern, geometric designs, or those rounded squares, or circles. Late 1950's, early 1960's designs. Maybe even as a merchant resource pack?

If anyone is interested, I can send links to examples, mostly tiny gifs from fabric or wallpaper sites.

markschum ( ) posted Sun, 30 November 2008 at 2:40 PM

[CG Textures] - View Texture    <try there , may not have what you want but worth a look

scanmead ( ) posted Sun, 30 November 2008 at 3:15 PM

They have some nice ones, but not the fresh, geometric styles designers like today. I found some things I made work, by pounding a square peg into a round hole. It would be nice to have something actually intended for texturing.

DreamWarrior ( ) posted Mon, 01 December 2008 at 5:34 PM

Attached Link: Textiles: Decro

Maybe this one might help?

Barb

My crafts - My Freebies - My Store - Delightful Arts

scanmead ( ) posted Mon, 01 December 2008 at 8:25 PM · edited Mon, 01 December 2008 at 8:26 PM

Here are some examples of the admittedly unattractive designs.

http://www.kitchencritic.co.uk/2007/07/reissued_laminates_formicas_or.html

http://www.reprodepot.com/lpds.html

http://www.secondhandrose.com/paperg/main.htm

http://www.5qm.de/index-en.html

Then there is a site called PatternCooler, where you can use preset patterns and change the colors, but I'm terrible at matching things, and it usually takes several tries. Plus, the templates are limited.

Funny, I wouldn't have any of those patterns in my house, but they look fine in a render.

Oscarko ( ) posted Wed, 03 December 2008 at 8:08 AM

Why don't you try to make your own, it is actually very easy with the right tool.

This tool called Pattern Studio is designed for making seamless patterns and textures:
Pattern Studio

scanmead ( ) posted Wed, 03 December 2008 at 8:11 PM

Looks like another good program I can't afford right now. I'm not good at anything 2D, and prefer to spend my limited time in modeling and scene construction. I can't be the only person who would buy fabric textures a little more contemporary?

ockham ( ) posted Tue, 09 December 2008 at 1:53 PM

If you're fairly good at modelling, you might try a trick that works well for me.
Model a few basic 3d shapes, like fleur-de-lis or boomerang, and arrange many
copies of the shape on the Poser ground.   Use the Top camera to render the
group on a black background, then use Photoshop to merge this with other colors. 

In this picture, I made the boomerangs on table and chairs, and the zoomie
things on the glass, by this technique.

(These are part of my 1950 Kitchen set.)

My python page
My ShareCG freebies

ockham ( ) posted Tue, 09 December 2008 at 1:53 PM · edited Tue, 09 December 2008 at 1:54 PM

file_419531.jpg

If you're fairly good at modelling, you might try a trick that works well for me. Model a few basic 3d shapes, like fleur-de-lis or boomerang, and arrange many copies of the shape on the Poser ground.   Use the Top camera to render the group on a black background, then use Photoshop to merge this with other colors. 

In this picture, I made the boomerangs on table and chairs, and the zoomie
things on the glass, by this technique.

(These are part of my 1950 Kitchen set.)

My python page
My ShareCG freebies

scanmead ( ) posted Tue, 09 December 2008 at 2:41 PM

file_419534.jpg

You know, that might just work. Overkill for simple patterns, but it's better than me trying to draw in PS with a mouse. ;)

I did manage this image, but it was not the colors I needed the pattern in to fit the virtual decor.

ockham ( ) posted Tue, 09 December 2008 at 2:56 PM

Ooh!  I like the table!  Are you going to sell it?

My python page
My ShareCG freebies

scanmead ( ) posted Tue, 09 December 2008 at 3:09 PM

No, but if you want it, send me a site mail, and I'll zip it up as an obj for you. The textures won't export, though: they're Vray for Cinema4D.

ockham ( ) posted Tue, 09 December 2008 at 3:12 PM

Thank you!  Will do.

My python page
My ShareCG freebies

scanmead ( ) posted Tue, 09 December 2008 at 3:29 PM

Sent you a site mail. I like your 50's kitchen set, too. I might try one of those, too. Gotta love those old plastic chairs... they were so much fun in August.... (insert squishy sweat noises). ;)

ockham ( ) posted Tue, 09 December 2008 at 3:47 PM

file_419538.jpg

Wonderful table.  Here's how it looks with boomerangs on boomerangs!

My python page
My ShareCG freebies

scanmead ( ) posted Tue, 09 December 2008 at 3:50 PM

Very cool! Almost wish I'd kept some of Mom's old furniture... maybe not. heh.

macatelier ( ) posted Thu, 15 January 2009 at 3:58 AM

I don't know if you've found everything you're looking for, but I have some 1950s and 1960s retro textures http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/index.php?vendor=379931 boomerangs included!

scanmead ( ) posted Thu, 15 January 2009 at 8:24 AM

ahhhh.. now that's what I was looking for and couldn't find! There are just too many products in the MP to sift through. I'll have to keep an eye out in case you decide to make more in the future. (now where's that credit card?)  

macatelier ( ) posted Thu, 15 January 2009 at 5:17 PM

Glad you found it and hope it's okay! 👍

LukeA ( ) posted Fri, 16 January 2009 at 12:14 PM

Have you consider using pattern fill in Photoshop? Or you can set the scatter on your paint brush to paint a more random pattern.

LukeA

My latest novel

scanmead ( ) posted Sat, 17 January 2009 at 7:44 AM

Luke, good idea, but my 2d drawing skills to come up with the pattern are not up to snuff.

macatelier, do you have anything similar without the fabric 'bump' available? These patterns are good for formica and paint, too. 

macatelier ( ) posted Mon, 26 January 2009 at 5:15 AM

Quote - Luke, good idea, but my 2d drawing skills to come up with the pattern are not up to snuff.

macatelier, do you have anything similar without the fabric 'bump' available? These patterns are good for formica and paint, too. 

Sorry I've only just seen your post. I'll see what I can do.

scanmead ( ) posted Mon, 26 January 2009 at 5:35 PM

Thanks! No hurry, bad incident with my back is limiting computer time.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.