Mon, Oct 21, 11:06 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Vue

Welcome to the Vue Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, TheBryster

Vue F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 17 8:34 am)

Subject: December Challenge

GaryMiller ( ) posted Sat, 06 December 2008 at 1:40 PM · edited Sun, 13 October 2024 at 1:33 AM

Here marks my first official task as Coordinator: creating a holiday challenge.
With Christmas just a few weeks away it's time to create our holiday challenge image.  Here are the guidelines:
Theme:  Sci-fi Christmas
You can use any traditional christmas ideas but they must be incorporated into a sci-fi theme.  For example, if you want to create a nativity scene then have the baby Jesus as a baby bot or maybe the 3 wise men as bots.  Maybe a R2D2 droid for the infant Jesus.

Use your imagination and let your creativity fly.
The winner of this challenge will receive a free copy of a new upcoming rustic fence modeling kit I am working on for VUE 5,6,&7.  It should be finished in a few weeks in time for the end of the challenge.

So dust off your copies of Poser, hit the freebie sites and get your models all set to create some zany Christmas renders.
*                       Postwork is always beneficial and encouraged.

*Share your picture in this forum thread. Render them as big as you want but please keep them no larger than 1024x768 when you upload them here as your submission.

THE CUT OFF DATE WILL BE DECEMBER 24 AT MIDNIGHT!

GaryMiller ( ) posted Sat, 06 December 2008 at 1:56 PM

file_419359.jpg

Here is the rustic fence pak as it is *still being constructed* that goes to the winner of this challenge.

ArtPearl ( ) posted Sat, 06 December 2008 at 11:30 PM

So these 'holidays' are they strictly Christian? I mean,  is it only Christmas or any winter holiday will do?
I know Christianity is missionary in nature but to assume even in a Sci Fi image anywhere in time and space only Christian mythology is relevant is a bit over the top?

"I paint that which comes from the imagination or from dreams, or from an unconscious drive. I photograph the things that I do not wish to paint, the things which already have an existence."
Man Ray, modernist painter
http://artpearl.redbubble.com/

GaryMiller ( ) posted Sat, 06 December 2008 at 11:56 PM

All I said was, "for example."  Make it however you want.  That should be easy.

ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Mon, 08 December 2008 at 4:52 PM

Sci-Fi doesn't always mean about the future.

www.youtube.com/user/ShawnDriscollCG

gillbrooks ( ) posted Tue, 09 December 2008 at 3:59 PM

Me 'n scifi go together like chocolate and cheese but I'll see what I can conjure up.....

Gill

ArtPearl ( ) posted Tue, 09 December 2008 at 8:57 PM

Gary, some of the mechanics of this challenge arnt clear to me -

• Does it have to be completely new and exclusive, ie posted here and only here?
    could we at least post it simultanously here and in our gallery? that way it will be possible to look at a bigger version of the image.
  • who(and how)  would the winner be selected?

and a personal question/request - Is the official title of the contest still 'Sci fi Christmas'? can it be changed to 'Sci Fi Holidays'? I would like to take part, but wont  if its explicitly christian.

"I paint that which comes from the imagination or from dreams, or from an unconscious drive. I photograph the things that I do not wish to paint, the things which already have an existence."

Shari123 ( ) posted Tue, 09 December 2008 at 9:00 PM

file_419551.jpg

I'm with Gill on the Sci Fi stuff, but I did manage to create a simple Sci Fi Christmas. I made the Snowman and trees in Vue, so that should count for something!

gibby.g ( ) posted Wed, 10 December 2008 at 6:18 AM

Quote - I would like to take part, but wont  if its explicitly christian.

These days Christmas isn't explicitly Christian. You could always look at it from the big business point of view.

Chocolate and cheese? Mmmm sounds delish...

gillbrooks ( ) posted Wed, 10 December 2008 at 9:22 AM

Quote - I'm with Gill on the Sci Fi stuff, but I did manage to create a simple Sci Fi Christmas. I made the Snowman and trees in Vue, so that should count for something!

I really like that one - gets my vote !

Gill

gillbrooks ( ) posted Wed, 10 December 2008 at 9:24 AM

file_419582.jpg

Well, here's my effort in all it's naffness. Nearest thing to sicfi I can come up with is a few ruined buildings and a Groboto Xmas Tree  :m_laugh:

Gill

ArtPearl ( ) posted Thu, 11 December 2008 at 9:56 PM

Attached Link: Holiday Blues

file_419743.jpg

So here's my entry. Its called 'Holiday Blues'. Perhaps not the joyful  picture intended by the organizers, but it is a sign of the times. Ollie the alien, his wine glass, the chair, all the bits and pieces in the air, semi-transparent and opaque, were designed by me, modeled in Hexagon and textured in Vue (mostly procedurals). The ground is a plane with a vue material. I uploaded a bigger file to my gallery if you're interested, see the link.

GaryMiller ( ) posted Fri, 12 December 2008 at 4:36 AM

Dang, this is most impressive.  I never imagined (prolly cuz I suck at sci-fi stuff) that the images so far would be so cool.  I really like the submissions so far.

GaryMiller ( ) posted Fri, 12 December 2008 at 4:37 AM

That armchair alien is a hoot!  Wat a crackup.

GaryMiller ( ) posted Fri, 12 December 2008 at 4:38 AM

Gill, that tree is really neat and i love those traditional bells on top.

GaryMiller ( ) posted Fri, 12 December 2008 at 4:39 AM

Shari, I love that floating christmas island thing.  Really, really novel.

bernieloehn ( ) posted Fri, 12 December 2008 at 2:36 PM

file_419777.jpg

Please find here my contribution.

A Merry Christmas to all of you!

;-)

Bernie

Keep cool and fight for the right of others
to have a different opinion than you have!

;- ) Bernie

Thelby ( ) posted Sun, 14 December 2008 at 7:28 AM · edited Sun, 14 December 2008 at 7:38 AM

And a Merry Christmas to You to Bernieloehn!!!

I would rather be Politically Incorrect,
Then have Politically Correct-Incorrectness!!!

gibby.g ( ) posted Sun, 14 December 2008 at 12:26 PM

file_419905.jpg

### **Here's my entry.** **Intruder Alert! **

The Guardbots ruthlessly snapped the intruder's neck as if it was a twig.**

**Merry Christmas folks!

Thelby ( ) posted Sun, 14 December 2008 at 1:02 PM

Morbid, but not quite the Halifax Gibbet !!!

GaryMiller ( ) posted Sun, 14 December 2008 at 9:15 PM

Hey, santas done been had. 

agiel ( ) posted Sat, 20 December 2008 at 11:15 PM

file_420270.jpg

My attempt at the challenge.

I thought of a letter from Santa in the year 2030. The Sci-fi element here is in the content of the letter.

Dear Suzy

I hope you enjoy your presents.

I went through a lot of trouble to find you this orange all the way from Spain ! You know how rare they are at this time of the year.

The lumps of rocks are made of real coal ! They were found in an old mine in the north of France. Hold on to them - they are rapidly becoming collector items.

Merry Christmas !!

Santa Claus

It has been way too long since my last image....

Happy Holidays everybody.

bernieloehn ( ) posted Sun, 21 December 2008 at 1:46 AM

Very good agiel amd very nice to hear from you!

;-)

Bernie

Keep cool and fight for the right of others
to have a different opinion than you have!

;- ) Bernie

Thelby ( ) posted Sun, 21 December 2008 at 8:32 AM

NIce orange bump there Agiel and you know it may just be that bad by 2030 or even before!!!
Merry Christmas!!!

ArtPearl ( ) posted Sun, 04 January 2009 at 3:32 PM

So, is anyhing happening with this challenge? Will there be voting? Will it be decided by the moderators/coordinators? just wondering.

gibby.g ( ) posted Sun, 04 January 2009 at 3:39 PM

Me too,

I'd forgotton all about it 'till the ebot arrived.

GaryMiller ( ) posted Tue, 06 January 2009 at 11:00 PM

Here are the results for the December challenge.  Forgoing the traditional drum roll, the winners are:  Everyone.  There was no way I could decide a winner in this one.  There were elements in each image that was really cool for a sci fi xmas challenge.  So being the King of my own little realm of cyberspace, I declare a winner.  "It's good to be the king."
For those of you who submitted an image for the contest, just send me an email address that will allow you to receive a 10mb file.  If you don't have an email capacity that supports a file that large, i will make other arraingements.

If anyone doesn't want the rustic fence pak (which you can find at C3d in the whats popular section) then I will be happy to send you an 8x10 glossy picture of me pulling weeds in my garden without a shirt on.  I only have a few left and they are selling like hot cakes.  Back hair and sweat.......what could be a bigger turn on :^)

Thanks for everyone participating in this challenge.

ArtPearl ( ) posted Wed, 07 January 2009 at 12:47 AM

That's really nice, thank you  Gary!

gibby.g ( ) posted Wed, 07 January 2009 at 6:59 AM

Thanks Gary, appreciate it!

gillbrooks ( ) posted Wed, 07 January 2009 at 8:17 AM

Heheh, I forgot about a prize.....I bought the fence pack last week

:b_grin:

Gill

agiel ( ) posted Wed, 07 January 2009 at 12:06 PM

Gill - you know what that means ? You will receive Gary's picture instead !  :)

gillbrooks ( ) posted Wed, 07 January 2009 at 3:46 PM

:b_stunned:

Oh crikey !  I see enough back hair when my hubby goes topless !!!

Gill

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.