Tue, Oct 22, 4:32 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Carrara

Welcome to the Carrara Forum

Forum Coordinators: Kalypso

Carrara F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 21 3:26 am)

Visit the Carrara Gallery here.

Carrara Free Stuff here.

Visit the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Okay, this one is really strange...

sparrownightmare ( ) posted Fri, 09 January 2009 at 6:14 PM · edited Tue, 22 October 2024 at 4:25 AM

file_421505.jpg

Well, here is another strange C6 trick.  I don't have 7 and probably won't for some time, but this is happening more often.  It usually happens when I either restore or maximize the screen after it has been sitting in the taskbar for a while, or when I make it the active window after having something in front of it.

The thing is this.  there is a 1" or so strip of the Carrara desktop that is just missing.  The only way to fix it is to restart C6.  Take a look at the image I am attaching.  Has anyone had this issue, and if so, how did you fix it?  I haven't made any changes to my system or C6, so I am at a loss.

Any help appreciated.

Rich

jt411 ( ) posted Fri, 09 January 2009 at 6:29 PM

I've seen these "oddities" before too, only when I'm in the middle of a very "heavy" render and I have other windows and apps open along with Carrara. For me, whatever weirdness clears up when the render finishes.

sparrownightmare ( ) posted Fri, 09 January 2009 at 6:47 PM

Probably.  It's just that I have never seen it do this before.

GKDantas ( ) posted Fri, 09 January 2009 at 8:46 PM

This look s like a video drive problem, not a Carrara bug...  the always question: updated video drives??

Follow me at euQfiz Digital

sparrownightmare ( ) posted Fri, 09 January 2009 at 9:06 PM

Yes I have the latest drivers for my video card (ATI HD 3650 512MB PCIE)  As I said, this started happening just in the last couple of days.  The scene I am rendering isn't even all that complex.  It's not just that the edge is invisible.  It's just not there.  If I move the mouse over to it, it will highlight the folders where the edge should be covering them.

GKDantas ( ) posted Fri, 09 January 2009 at 9:13 PM

Its really very strange... try to unload some softwares that you have in the system tray... maybe someone is the problem??

Follow me at euQfiz Digital

Thelby ( ) posted Sat, 10 January 2009 at 7:55 AM

With all due respect ATI seems to be conducive of this type effect even in other 3D apps. For some reason ATI is not as Effective for 3D as it's counterpart NVidia. I really don't know why cause ATI is best for Vid games, (Fast Vid Games), too, but it is just not as good with 3D itself. The other forums pop up with this type problem and others from time to time and it is usually ATI or not enough RAM and I am assuming you have plenty of RAM.

I would rather be Politically Incorrect,
Then have Politically Correct-Incorrectness!!!

sparrownightmare ( ) posted Sat, 10 January 2009 at 8:17 AM

My system is a home build.  When I designed it, I specifically had Carrara in mind.  I actually have not had nearly as many video driver issues with this as I had with my last system which had an NVidia card.  This one has an AMD Phenom 9600 Quad core CPU, MSI K9HA Platinum motherboard, 4GB of System RAM, ATI HD3650 PCIE Video Card with 512MB of video RAM, 3 500GB SATA II Seagate Barracuda drives (With another I just got for Christmas that I just haven't had the time to put in yet,  I built this monster to avoid issues like this... LMAO... Oh well, at Least it plays some very good video games really well. :)

Thelby ( ) posted Sat, 10 January 2009 at 8:32 AM

Yeah, like I say I don't know why ATI seems to be this way. It rocks in Vid Games and you would think that would trump 3D apps, but appearantly not. Vue absolutely hates ATI cards and I had trouble with my last ATI card when using Lightwave 9. So I am at a lose to why this happens with them. Are you a 32 bit or 64 bit system? If 32 bit it may be the RAM Issue unless you have the High Address switched to 4 GBs you can only access 2 GBs per app.

sparrownightmare ( ) posted Sat, 10 January 2009 at 8:36 AM

The CPU and Mobo are all 64Bit, I run Carrara under the 32Bit version of Windows Vista Ultimate.  I am thinking of trying the 64Bit version on that new drive I mentioned and tri-booting with 32Bit Vista, 54Bit Vista and XP SP2.  What exactly do you mean about switching the memory on?

Thelby ( ) posted Sat, 10 January 2009 at 8:42 AM

I run a 32 bit system with 4 GBs of RAM and normally can only use 2 GBs per open app, but
http://www.musikbanken.se/TechLaaTiDo.aspx
Enables me to use more RAM per open app. In Lightwave I can squeeze out 2.95 GBs, Vue 2.75 and the same with Carrara.

sparrownightmare ( ) posted Sat, 10 January 2009 at 9:06 AM

I am running Vista Ultimate.  It doesn't have that limitation.  For instance, when I run Carrara with nothing else but mandatory drivers etc. running, I am usually using about 3.1GB of actual RAM for Carrara, not counting the page file.  I have an enhanced task manager that shows me all kinds of neat little info bits.  CPU Time, Page Faults, memory etc...

www.sysinternals.com is where you get it.  It's called Process Explorer.  Try it out.  It can be set to replace the normal task manager.

Thelby ( ) posted Sat, 10 January 2009 at 9:21 AM

Hmmm, Thanks for the link!!!!

sparrownightmare ( ) posted Sat, 10 January 2009 at 9:38 AM

NP, enjoy. :)

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.