Tue, Oct 1, 11:33 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 01 3:49 pm)

Subject: VSS Shaders - How to remove the material AO

bagginsbill ( ) posted Thu, 22 January 2009 at 5:20 PM · edited Tue, 01 October 2024 at 11:31 PM

The VSS thread has gotten too big. Nobody can find stuff or bookmark it effectively. So we're going to be using individual threads for individual topics.

The latest question was how to remove the built-in material based AO from the VSS shaders, particularly the PR3 skin shader.

Here's how to do it.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

bagginsbill ( ) posted Thu, 22 January 2009 at 5:21 PM

file_422300.jpg

Open up the Template Skin shader.

Have a look at the AO control parameters. Among them is the AO node itself. You could just delete this, but there is other stuff related to the AO calculation that will remain and waste time.

So don't bother here.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

bagginsbill ( ) posted Thu, 22 January 2009 at 5:22 PM

file_422301.jpg

Scroll about 3/4 horizontally. Near the Color_Map is a Blender. (See image above).

Delete that. That is where all the AO chain of nodes is joining the rest of the shader.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Thu, 22 January 2009 at 5:22 PM

file_422302.jpg

Then use the built-in Poser WACRO to Remove Detached Nodes. This will get rid of everything that was connected to that Blender.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Thu, 22 January 2009 at 5:23 PM

file_422303.jpg

Scroll back to the left. You'll see all the AO control stuff is gone.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Thu, 22 January 2009 at 5:24 PM

file_422304.jpg

The other place there is material-based AO is in the Template Eyewhite.

Open that up. You'll find an AO node there. Just delete that.

Now you've removed all material based AO from the VSS shaders. (PR2 and PR3 anyway)

You can now turn on the light-based AO on your IBL for scene-wide AO.

Remember, if you're not in Poser 7 SR3 or better, you should probably stick with material AO. Only the newest Poser versions have good light-based AO.

JWFokker ( ) posted Sat, 24 January 2009 at 11:11 AM

Thanks for the instructions. This combined with the modified light AO settings from the main VSS thread is giving me good full scene AO now.

flibbits ( ) posted Mon, 18 July 2011 at 2:16 PM

What is the purpose of removing it?

bagginsbill ( ) posted Mon, 18 July 2011 at 2:46 PM · edited Mon, 18 July 2011 at 2:47 PM

Light-based AO was improved enough in Poser 7 SR3 that it is better to use that instead of material-based AO. And with Poser 8 and up, AO is superfluous. It is automatically turned off now by Poser if you enable IDL, but when first released, that was not so and you had to remove it yourself.

In general, it is undesirable to use material-based AO simultaneously with light-based AO or with IDL. It's like wearing contact lenses and your old glasses.

Winterclaw ( ) posted Mon, 18 July 2011 at 3:30 PM

Well, if your vision gets worse...

;)

SQA:  since someone will probably think this and try to be lazy, let's get this out of the way now, why not just turn AO strength to 0?

WARK!

Thus Spoketh Winterclaw: a blog about a Winterclaw who speaks from time to time.

(using Poser Pro 2014 SR3, on 64 bit Win 7, poser units are inches.)

bagginsbill ( ) posted Mon, 18 July 2011 at 3:33 PM

Because of a bug in Poser - AO Strength doesn't do anything at all in the AO node.

Winterclaw ( ) posted Mon, 18 July 2011 at 3:35 PM · edited Mon, 18 July 2011 at 3:41 PM

That's a weird bug, did you find it after making the VSS shader?

(I'm asking because of the PM:AO strength in particular)

WARK!

Thus Spoketh Winterclaw: a blog about a Winterclaw who speaks from time to time.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Mon, 18 July 2011 at 3:45 PM

PM:AO strength works because I did not plug that into the Ambient_Occlusion node strength parameter. I did not find this after VSS - I found it a long time ago. I posted how to build your own strength like I did long time ago, too.

You Blend the AO node with white to decrease its strength.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Mon, 18 July 2011 at 4:23 PM

I forgot to mention also that even if you set the strength to 0, the node is still calculating its value and that takes time. It's very expensive in some cases so if you don't need it, you want to delete it, not minimize its effect.

Winterclaw ( ) posted Mon, 18 July 2011 at 4:51 PM

Ah cool.  Time saving tips like that are good to know.

Thank you.

WARK!

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.