Wed, Sep 18, 7:57 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 7:39 am)

Subject: OT:How/Where do you do your taxes on your own?

tebop ( ) posted Fri, 23 January 2009 at 12:48 PM · edited Tue, 10 September 2024 at 12:55 PM

I've never done them but i'm sure it's easy , my sister does them for herself.

I heard there's some website or thing where you can do them.

How? and what do i need to do my taxes....? What kind of info, etc

I'm tired of paying a dude just to do something i can probblly do myself 

Acadia ( ) posted Fri, 23 January 2009 at 12:55 PM

I've been doing income tax returns for over 2 decades.  I've taken a number of professional tax courses and used to do it as a side business.  I still do to a degree, but now I'm more selective about my clients. I mostly do business (rental and trucking etc)  and professional (doctors, lawyers etc)  returns and only the basic ones for close friends and family if they ask.

However, when I was off sick, the last thing I was concerned with was doing my taxes, so I paid someone else to do it for me a couple of times.

This year I'll be doing my own. And I am not going to be doing any one else's this year.

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi

jefsview ( ) posted Fri, 23 January 2009 at 1:10 PM

Tax Act Online

https://www.taxactonline.com/s_online_tax2008/index.asp

I've used them for years, and they are fast and low cost, and can e-file both your state and federal taxes. Easy to use, accurate, and efficient. Even the years I had exercised stock options, they helped me do my taxes right.

I recommend them.

-- Jeff

LostinSpaceman ( ) posted Fri, 23 January 2009 at 1:27 PM · edited Fri, 23 January 2009 at 1:29 PM

Unless you own Real Estate, Stocks, Bonds and varied and sundry sources of income you can file the 1040 EZ or 1040 short form. All you need are all of your 1099 statements from your employers all your interest income forms from any banks  or financial institutions and your EZ or short form. It's when you start getting multiple source of income and property and start saving reciepts for deductions and stuff that you have to start using the complicated forms.

If you're young, don't own much and work one or two jobs. 1040 Short or 1040 EZ is all you need file, federally and the same for state depending on whether you live in a state that requires taxes each year. Some do, Missouri, Some don't, Texas.

I always did my own taxes on the 1040 Short form until the year after I bought my first house. Then it was long form and someone else doing it all the way!

AnAardvark ( ) posted Fri, 23 January 2009 at 2:53 PM

Quote - Unless you own Real Estate, Stocks, Bonds and varied and sundry sources of income you can file the 1040 EZ or 1040 short form. All you need are all of your 1099 statements from your employers all your interest income forms from any banks  or financial institutions and your EZ or short form. It's when you start getting multiple source of income and property and start saving reciepts for deductions and stuff that you have to start using the complicated forms.

If you're young, don't own much and work one or two jobs. 1040 Short or 1040 EZ is all you need file, federally and the same for state depending on whether you live in a state that requires taxes each year. Some do, Missouri, Some don't, Texas.

I always did my own taxes on the 1040 Short form until the year after I bought my first house. Then it was long form and someone else doing it all the way!

If you can't use the 1040 EZ or 1040 short form, you are better off using a real accountant. (And not one of the seasonal tax preparation companies like H&R Block, though they are OK if you have simple taxes and not enough time.) I have a professional do my returns, and she was able to save me several thousand dollars on prior year returns. (I had to do an ammended return because I didn't realize I owed state taxes to a state I didn't live or work in due to a share in an inherited private business.)

Winterclaw ( ) posted Fri, 23 January 2009 at 3:48 PM

There's also tax accounting software you can get at places like walmart and bestbuy.  Forget the names, but there two companies that make them.

WARK!

Thus Spoketh Winterclaw: a blog about a Winterclaw who speaks from time to time.

(using Poser Pro 2014 SR3, on 64 bit Win 7, poser units are inches.)

Victoria_Lee ( ) posted Fri, 23 January 2009 at 5:01 PM

I've used TaxBrain for the last five years with no problems.  I'm single, with no dependents, so it's an easy thing to do my own.

Hugz from Phoenix, USA

Victoria

Remember, sometimes the dragon wins. Correction: MOST times.

markschum ( ) posted Fri, 23 January 2009 at 5:19 PM

I get the tax forms and booklet at my local library or post office and run through the 1040ez and see what I need to file.

http://www.turbotax.com is offering a free federal tax prep and e-filing on their website. 

Daidalos ( ) posted Fri, 23 January 2009 at 5:37 PM

I use turbotax. It's free too.

"The Blood is the life!"

SGT2005 ( ) posted Fri, 23 January 2009 at 5:44 PM

I got People.. Sorry  had to jump in here. I use to do my own taxes till I found loop holes and had H&R Block do mine ..It's cool if you can do your own, I just lost interest.

sgtprotex1@netscape.net

University of Pheonix Alumni 2008
AA Criminal Justice Degree
BA Criminal Justice Degree

Currently study in Parapsychology

Plutom ( ) posted Fri, 23 January 2009 at 6:39 PM · edited Fri, 23 January 2009 at 6:41 PM

I had a tax service do mine once and I thought, hmmm I can do that and I did for the last 40 years.

I use the 1040A and its very simple.  Your tax booklet goes "step by step".  Like stated above, your employer must give you a W- 2 form (you have three of them ( state, federal, and your copy)  which is the base.  Your bank, credit union must give you a tax statement of all the interest you got.  If you have stocks etc, they too must give you a tax statement and tell you where all the figures go on your 1040A.  

What is new this year.  IF you own a home and pay property taxes (city, county, and state), you can deduct a portion of it EVEN if you don't itemize and take ye olde standard deduction.  Simply follow the instruction on how to do it - there is a form on page 33 that you fill out (in pencil, you are going to make mistakes).  

You MUST keep a copy of the forms you send in plus your 1099 etc. given you by your bank, credit union, mutual funds, stocks etc.  READ what is required to send to the IRS.  Not every thing goes, but you must keep everything.

Read Common mistakes made by taxpayers in your IRS tax booklet.

-and remember, if your state collects taxes, you MUST check and see if you are required to file (most states do).  If you are not sure, call your state's Revenue Service and they will tell you or go any public library to pick up a state booklet, their instructions are very similiar to the federal (a few exceptions, so you must read it line by line too).

Again, both have simple step-by-step instructions, and DO the draft in pencil, go over it several times checking math errors, putting the numbers in the wrong lines, transposing numbers.

Buy a cheap calculator.  Next day recheck your figures again, line by line.

Above all,  have fun doing your taxes like the rest of us and DON'T wait until April 15th to do them-start as soon as you get all your statements.  Jan

RedPhantom ( ) posted Fri, 23 January 2009 at 8:18 PM
Site Admin

I have my hubby do mine. He uses turbotax. I try to do it every year but it always seems there is some mistake. I have know idea what. I can only assume he has info I don't get related to business ventures he makes.

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader Monster of the North and The Shimmering Mage

Today I break my own personal record for the number of days for being alive.
Check out my store here or my free stuff here
I use Poser 13 and win 10

RedPhantom ( ) posted Fri, 23 January 2009 at 9:35 PM
Site Admin

Forgot to add, until I got married, I did my own. Most of the time I did the ez form but did the long form once or twice. If you do it yourself, get a good sharp pencil and a calculator you can see easily, wear you glasses, if you have them, your favorite non-alcoholic drink (in a spill proof cup) and a few hours of quiet. save the alcohol for when you are finished. No it's not necessarily that bad, but you don't want to do you taxes drunk.

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader Monster of the North and The Shimmering Mage

Today I break my own personal record for the number of days for being alive.
Check out my store here or my free stuff here
I use Poser 13 and win 10

WandW ( ) posted Fri, 23 January 2009 at 10:28 PM

I've used H&R Block's TaxCut software for years.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Wisdom of bagginsbill:

"Oh - the manual says that? I have never read the manual - this must be why."
“I could buy better software, but then I'd have to be an artist and what's the point of that?"
"The [R'osity Forum Search] 'Default' label should actually say 'Don't Find What I'm Looking For'".
bagginsbill's Free Stuff... https://web.archive.org/web/20201010171535/https://sites.google.com/site/bagginsbill/Home

jeffnlkpt2 ( ) posted Sat, 24 January 2009 at 9:12 AM · edited Sat, 24 January 2009 at 9:13 AM

Just to let you know, depending on your income levels you can e-file your taxes for free at www.irs.gov  just click on the e-file botton on the left hand margin.  You can almost get your refund as fast as these "rapid" refunds and doesn't cost you anything.  The IRS has a deal with most of the major software developers to provide free filing.  The same as you buy or pay for.  They just try to upsell you to other products but you are not required to buy them if you don't want to.

I highly recommend it, it's what I use and you can guess who I work for  LOL...

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.