Wed, Sep 18, 8:01 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 7:39 am)

Subject: Anyone had any luck installing Poser 7 in any flavor of Linux?

JenX ( ) posted Fri, 23 January 2009 at 10:21 AM · edited Wed, 18 September 2024 at 7:54 AM

I've successfully installed (and have been using) Poser 6 in Ubuntu 8.10 (using WINE), and am working on the workaround for DAZ|Studio.  So, I go to install Poser 7...So, after about 15 tries installing over the past 2 days, here I am.  P7 gets half-way through the install, and either it does the disappearing crash, or just gets stuck.  Anyone have any ideas?

Sitemail | Freestuff | Craftythings | Youtube|

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it into a fruit salad.

ratscloset ( ) posted Fri, 23 January 2009 at 12:39 PM

Poser 7 is much different than Poser 6 and most likely will not install correctly. I do not think Linux (using WINE or otherwise) supports programs that use Modules.

Not being familiar with Linux, I do know that other programs that use modules do not work well or can not be installed under WINE.

A different Program (CAD) that someone I know had this issue, installed the Program in Windows then Copied everything over to their Linux Box and it worked. How exactly they did this, I am not sure and I do know that program was not as complex as Poser.

ratscloset
aka John

JenX ( ) posted Fri, 23 January 2009 at 1:42 PM

Thanks, RC.  Do you have any specifics on what makes it so much different?  System resources, settings, etc?  Because, right now, at this time, it's not the program that I'm having problems with...it's just the installer.  sigh 

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it into a fruit salad.

WandW ( ) posted Fri, 23 January 2009 at 2:18 PM

What version of Wine are you using?  Most distributions come with older versions

I confess I installed Poser and SR2 on a Windows machine and copied it over to my Linux machine, as the Service Release wouldn't run.  I'm pretty sure the Poser installer worked, but that was a year ago.  Poser is self-contained, so you only need the Poser 7 subdirectory.  I did install SR3 under Linux successfully.

Maybe I'll give it a try...If I can lay hands on my Poser 7 disk!

CHeers,

Rod

PS..It runs quite well, if a bit slowly in a Windows 2000 Virtual Machine under VirtualBox.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Wisdom of bagginsbill:

"Oh - the manual says that? I have never read the manual - this must be why."
“I could buy better software, but then I'd have to be an artist and what's the point of that?"
"The [R'osity Forum Search] 'Default' label should actually say 'Don't Find What I'm Looking For'".
bagginsbill's Free Stuff... https://web.archive.org/web/20201010171535/https://sites.google.com/site/bagginsbill/Home

richardson ( ) posted Fri, 23 January 2009 at 2:47 PM

JenX,

Someone posted the very technique here less than 2 months ago... P7 under the latest Ubuntu. Was not a straight install if I recall...

JenX ( ) posted Fri, 23 January 2009 at 4:08 PM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/showthread.php?message_id=3348499&ebot_calc_page#message_3348499

Thanks for the heads up.  I looked for the thread (above) and am going to see what will work :)  lol, apparently, everything runs better with WINE ;)

ratscloset ( ) posted Fri, 23 January 2009 at 10:09 PM

It is just different in how they install.

ratscloset
aka John

WandW ( ) posted Fri, 23 January 2009 at 10:24 PM

I couldn't get it to install under wine 1.1.13, which is the latest development version.  It pooped out part way through, usually while unpacking Gamma Girl's shirt.

An interesting side issue is that my DVD writer wouldn't read the original disk anymore-I had to use my DVD ROM.  However, I had the same install failure with a backup copy.

Cheers,

Rod

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“I could buy better software, but then I'd have to be an artist and what's the point of that?"
"The [R'osity Forum Search] 'Default' label should actually say 'Don't Find What I'm Looking For'".
bagginsbill's Free Stuff... https://web.archive.org/web/20201010171535/https://sites.google.com/site/bagginsbill/Home

adp001 ( ) posted Sat, 24 January 2009 at 5:06 AM

Seems there are a lot people now using Poser with Wine.
Poser 7/Pro installs and works fine here for round about a year. Even with Compiz-Eye-Candy ;)

To install the service paks, I used a VM (VMware) with an old XP-copy. Because the SR-installer wan't work with Wine. Installing software is the only reason for me to carry a copy of windows, because it seems that some installers comes with a "do not run with Wine" function ;)

12rounds ( ) posted Sat, 24 January 2009 at 5:50 AM · edited Sat, 24 January 2009 at 5:56 AM

My experience is similar to that of adp001. Ie. Poser 7 installs and runs fine in Ubuntu (several versions up and including 8.10. and with most current stable Wine releases). But the SRs had to be installed via a virtual Windows (I use VirtualBox; not the OSE variant but the restricted one that allows USB-traffic from Ubuntu to a virtual machine).  Using a virtual machine just for installations is relatively easy and straightforward. Been running P7 exclusively in Ubuntu for almost a year now and I'm quite happy with the performance.

JenX, you can try running the Poser 7 installer with wine from a command line in a terminal window. Wine gives out huge amounts of technical details for any problems it encounters. Maybe you can catch something that help you out by watching the output Wine generates. You can't see this output if you just click the installer exe in Gnome. 

WandW ( ) posted Sat, 24 January 2009 at 10:54 AM

JenX,

I was able to install Poser 7 in Wine 1.0.  The Character and Content updates wouldn't install, but SR3 did install.

I curently run Poser 7 (which I copied over from a Windows installation) in a patched version of Wine 1.1.13.  It will run without the patch, but you run it full-screen, you must always hold down the 'ALT' key when moving Poser's windows, and leave the Library Palette docked, or it locks up the keyboard and mouse.  The patch can be gotten here, but it requires compiling wine from source:

http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=13066

The patch is to the library /usr/lib/wine/winex11.drv.so-If you were using openSUSE I could send you a copy of the compiled library (if you trust software from a stranger with no avatar) It's possible it would work in ubuntu-the version I compiled in SUSE 10.3 works in 11.0. and 11.1.

DAZ Studio Beta 2.3.3.138 does indeed work very well in Wine(I think I installed it into Wine 1.1.10). To make it work run winecfg, go to drives, and click autodetect. You also need the Microsoft Core Fonts. Rather than installing them into Wine, I installed them into Linux ( corefonts.sourceforge.net/ ), then linked the .ttf files from /usr/share/fonts (they may live elsewhere on your system) to the .wine/drive_c/windows/fonts folder.

I ran the Studio installer-it gave a couple of errors at the end, which I told it to ignore. The previous version I tried didn't run the content installer during the install (the current beta doesn't include the content) , but it was in the studio directory and I ran it after the installation was complete. Then, run it, enter your Serial, and Bob's your uncle.

Good luck on becoming JenX-11 :biggrin:

Cheers,

Rod

JenX ( ) posted Sat, 24 January 2009 at 12:09 PM

So...should I roll back WINE to 1.0 to install P7?  Installing in windows is not an option right now...my windows install disc is nowhere to be found, hence using Linux (my first choice, anyway, but, I digress)

Thanks for the tips on DS, too, WandW.  At this rate, I might have the capacity to start the challenges again :)

WandW ( ) posted Sat, 24 January 2009 at 12:23 PM

Yes, rolling it back should work. 

I wonder if Universal Extractor will work on the content and character updaters.  The problem is that often it doesn't preserve the directory structure.  Also, I've never tried it under Wine either.

Cheers,

Rod

JenX ( ) posted Sat, 24 January 2009 at 6:40 PM

Attached Link: http://wine.budgetdedicated.com/archive/index.html

rolling back to Wine 1.0-rc5 i386 did the trick :)  Now installing P7.  At this point, I'm pretty happy, so, I'll wait to upgrade WINE until I've got everything installed and updated ;)

MagnusGreel ( ) posted Mon, 26 January 2009 at 6:36 PM

Attached Link: ubuntu pocket guide

Free Download

Airport security is a burden we must all shoulder. Do your part, and please grope yourself in advance.

JenX ( ) posted Mon, 02 February 2009 at 5:50 AM

I know this sounds "too good to be true", but I was, just now, able to install SR3 without VMware (which I haven't been able to get to run properly).  It ran in WINE, updated, and I'm rockin' :)  Now, to reinstall the hojillion and 12 installers for DAZ folk.  (BTW, I have both Poser 7 and DAZ|Studio running in WINE.  No crashes, no weird whatevers.)  I'm also going to try to install Bryce, but, that's not a dealbreaker for me, because I use it once a year anymore.  I know, sad!

12rounds ( ) posted Mon, 02 February 2009 at 10:54 AM

Excellent, JenX!

Installing V4 and M4 were a bit of a "trial and error" mayhem for me. Obj import has been problematic for me, but other than that my P7 doesn't crash - at all - when run with Wine. Poser did lose it's marbles when I tried to use the Wine options for smooth Gnome desktop interaction with window decorations and all. I tried to use P7 spreading the several palettes and other windows to several Gnome-managed virtual desktops, but that was a bit too much for the old buddy and since then I've been content on using P7 in a single emulated and dedicated virtual desktop among other virtual desktops. It feels a bit like Windows-use being restricted to a single screen, but luckily I'm running a 24" 1920x1280 monster so everything fits nice enough in there.

MagnusGreel ( ) posted Mon, 02 February 2009 at 10:57 AM

well on my Ubuntu it loaded... had to switch from Ogl to Sreed and it refused to render. (hitting render did nothing).

your milage may vary.

Airport security is a burden we must all shoulder. Do your part, and please grope yourself in advance.

JenX ( ) posted Mon, 02 February 2009 at 10:57 AM

I feel the same, 12rounds.  I would like to be able to actually utilize the multiple workspace setup that Linux has inherently, but I'll deal with what I have.  I call it a small victory ;)  However, I have personally found that the install and program running goes smoother on the KDE desktop, rather than the gnome desktop.  I don't know why, and I don't pretend to, lol, I'm just grateful that it does.

12rounds ( ) posted Mon, 02 February 2009 at 11:21 AM

Yup.  So far I've experienced that LXDE gets the most smoothest operation of them all. LXDE (acronym for "Lightweight X11 Desktop Environment") is specifically designed to save RAM, but still offers full X desktop services. On occasion I've also used XFCE with good results. But since my main choise for a desktop manager is Gnome, I rarely find the energy to switch desktop managers just for Poser work.

@MagnusGreel: NVidia or ATI graphics card? If ATI, you'll probably have a hard time to get it working at all. Integrated graphics cards will probably not work well either. 

MagnusGreel ( ) posted Mon, 02 February 2009 at 11:34 AM

ATI and working fine (dual desktop, full Compiz on etc)

glad it's only my backup OS. I got my soundcard working (soundblaster).....and the next days update promptly broke it........

12rounds ( ) posted Mon, 02 February 2009 at 12:39 PM · edited Mon, 02 February 2009 at 12:49 PM

@MagnusGreel
The  "working fine" means that your graphics card driver works for the most part. But having Poser (and possibly other software, like many games, that rely on ogl interface) not working with ogl is probably because the driver is lacking some ogl functionalities that Poser needs and such functionalities are currently available in the corresponding NVidia drivers.

Personally I would categorise your problem under a graphics card driver issue and that is also something that can only be addressed by ATI Technologies since Linux programmers are not allowed access to driver specs or programming APIs of new chips thanks in no small part to M$.  It's my understanding that ATI released a new driver only last week so you want to check if that makes you problem disappear.

I don't want to wage any "chipset wars", but simply to offer an explanation of what your problem is possibly related to. Ie. an incomplete driver that doesn't address enough ogl functionalities to satisfy Poser.

WandW ( ) posted Mon, 02 February 2009 at 5:07 PM · edited Mon, 02 February 2009 at 5:10 PM

I have an integrated nVidia 6150 and I get good performance using openGL.  I haven't yet installed a recent version of wine on my machine with ATI card.

I should add that DAZ  Studio runs quite well in a Windows 2000 VM on the latest version of Virtualbox with 3D acceleration enabled. 

Cheers,

Rod

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.