Tue, Oct 1, 5:03 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 01 3:49 pm)

Subject: high poly vs low poly

RedPhantom ( ) posted Fri, 23 January 2009 at 9:47 PM · edited Tue, 01 October 2024 at 1:35 PM
Site Admin

What is the difference when it comes to the final render? I understand the difference structurally and that  low res uses less memory but how does it effect the final quality?

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader Monster of the North and The Shimmering Mage

Today I break my own personal record for the number of days for being alive.
Check out my store here or my free stuff here
I use Poser 13 and win 10

geep ( ) posted Fri, 23 January 2009 at 10:05 PM · edited Fri, 23 January 2009 at 10:13 PM

file_422402.jpg

Low poly objects/figures with high quality texmaps can affect the final quality with much better renders and will render faster.  The reason is the smaller geometry (object) files have less data to process when rendered.

Experiment with low poly objects and detailed texmaps
vs.
... high poly objects with low quality (size) texmaps and you'll see the difference.

The "bottom line" is to do what looks good to YOU. 😄

The image above uses a 1 poly (one sided) square prop and renders super fast.

cheers,
dr geep
;=]

Remember ... "With Poser, all things are possible, and poseable!"

cheers,

dr geep ... :o]

edited 10/5/2019

wdupre ( ) posted Sat, 24 January 2009 at 1:15 PM

well the flip side of that is that low poly meshes are rougher with more visible edges, so you loose detail in the surface, this tends to be particularly noticable around the edges of the figure. the best texture in the world won't fix a blocky figure though it might mask some of the evidence. There are ways to smooth meshes to some extent, smoothing in Poser can get rid of some of the blockyness, Sub-D in Studio can get rid of it completely though with that you are actually subdividing the mesh at rendertime so you will still get a hit on render time.

geep ( ) posted Sat, 24 January 2009 at 1:49 PM · edited Sat, 24 January 2009 at 1:52 PM

file_422434.png

May I (respectfully) disagree ... to a degree. 😄 One can use the "smooth" option as shown.

Note - Increasing the "Crease Angle" to 100 or greater
can produce an almost perfectly round ball from the square box
which has only one polygon per side.

cheers,
dr geep
;=]

cheers,

edited 10/5/2019

wdupre ( ) posted Sat, 24 January 2009 at 2:29 PM

not seeing how you are disagreeing, I said smoothing can remove some of the blockyness. I dont find high smoothing angles ideal for all situations though due to some of the wierd self shading issues that happens occasionally, thats why I say some rather than all.

geep ( ) posted Sat, 24 January 2009 at 2:42 PM

Ok, I agree. 👍

Bottom line ... do what works for you, n'est pas? 😄

cheers,
dr geep
;=]

cheers,

edited 10/5/2019

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.