Fri, Oct 4, 12:22 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Vue

Welcome to the Vue Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, TheBryster

Vue F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 26 4:27 pm)

Subject: Backdrops in Vue 7

kenmo ( ) posted Sun, 25 January 2009 at 12:07 PM · edited Fri, 04 October 2024 at 12:19 PM

I have Vue Pro Studio ver 7 and adding backdrops to the camera doesn't seem to work... I've tried the same photo I shot with my digital camera in ver 6.5 of Pro Studio and it works flawlessly.

In ver 7 when I add the backdrop and render, no back drop image is included in the render...

I swore off frustrating myself further with ver 7.0 but this morning I thought I would give ver 7.0 another try.....

I think I would rather bang my head against a wall....

Rutra ( ) posted Sun, 25 January 2009 at 1:10 PM

It works fine in Vue 7 Infinite.

Mazak ( ) posted Sun, 25 January 2009 at 3:22 PM

Attached Link: http://www.e-onsoftware.com/products/vue/vue_7_pro_studio/index.php?page=14&BaseProduct=Vue%207%20Pro%20Studio

From Vue7 Pro Studio Comparative Chart: ***Use an image or animation as a backdrop for your renders with KronosFX***

Mazak

Google+ Bodo Nittel 

Mazak ( ) posted Sun, 25 January 2009 at 3:29 PM
kenmo ( ) posted Sun, 25 January 2009 at 3:29 PM

Yeah... but it's not working... Actually over at the e-on forum use John kingGerhard Messeris reporting the same problem with xStream....

kenmo ( ) posted Sun, 25 January 2009 at 3:33 PM

Quote - This module you need:

Mazak

But I did not need this module for version 6? AND I will not be purchasing this module from e-on. I've already given them enough money for an application that does NOT work as promised...

Rutra ( ) posted Sun, 25 January 2009 at 3:40 PM

This time you can't complain about misleading advertisement. ;-)
That's very clearly written in the chart.

Mazak ( ) posted Sun, 25 January 2009 at 3:42 PM

file_422546.jpg

Quick test of backdrop in V7.2 Infinite.

Mazak

Google+ Bodo Nittel 

kenmo ( ) posted Sun, 25 January 2009 at 3:57 PM

Then why do I still have the backdrop load option in the camera? It allows me to load a backdrop and displays it in the camera's properties but doesn't render to the screen!!!!

Rutra ( ) posted Sun, 25 January 2009 at 4:10 PM

e-on could have crippled that functionality in several ways in this Vue versions. One would be to remove the load button, another one could be to prevent it from rendering. Both alternatives would reach the same target. Why they chose the latter, only they can say...

CobraEye ( ) posted Sun, 25 January 2009 at 6:04 PM

if e-on spent more time fixing bugs than making new versions of the same software we would have a lot less headaches.  In other words imagine if they spent less time crippling their software into half-childs and spent more time on features & fixes. 

What is there 7 versions now? 

That is just plain crazy.

It seems the software's true aim is to advertise cornucopia and the goods in their store.

ArtPearl ( ) posted Sun, 25 January 2009 at 6:22 PM

It works in my v6inf version but not in the v7 complete, just as kenmo said - you can upload but it has no effect. I never used it in v6  so I dont care that it isnt there in v7comp. I agree that which ever way they chose to disable it, the final result is the same - you cant use it in the artist line.
But, there is a practical difference - if the button isnt there or if it is disabled, you know it cant be done. If it is there, an average user will assume its usable. No software maker will assume the user will know or remember what is available or active at any time. It is a common practice to let the users know what can or cant be done by making buttons or other gui elements available. So its a very bad programing practice just to let the user go through the motions when it leads nowhere. I hope it was done this way by error/neglegance, because the alternative explanation is that they dont care about the effect on the user or worse, it was done out of cruelty:).
Kenmo, if you feel sorry for other users who might fall into the same 'hole' report it to e-on, perhaps  they'll fix it properly. But if it is clear that the software you bought isnt supposed to do it, wouldnt you better off just moving on to potentialy productive things?

"I paint that which comes from the imagination or from dreams, or from an unconscious drive. I photograph the things that I do not wish to paint, the things which already have an existence."
Man Ray, modernist painter
http://artpearl.redbubble.com/

kenmo ( ) posted Sun, 25 January 2009 at 6:56 PM

Most of the time Vue 7 is rendering to a black image or shuts itself down saying not enough memory. Vue 6.5 is as stable as a small block Chevy....

I've had weird problems in the past with Vue but NEVER to the extent of the problems I'm having with 7...

I'm slowly losing interest and faith in Vue 7.0 and possibly any software from e-on in the future... Bugs are reported but little in the way of replies... I've already written e-mail asking for a refund... Why should e-on have $199.00 US of my money when I have a product I can not use? If the shoe was on the other foot and Visa later refused my transaction I why how e-on would react...

dlk30341 ( ) posted Mon, 26 January 2009 at 11:33 AM

The backdrop doesn't show for me either once applied.  V7I - XP x64. Nvidia 880 Ultra - drivers 181.20

kenmo ( ) posted Mon, 26 January 2009 at 12:14 PM

So are backdrops supposed to work or not in Vue 7? AND if not why would they remove a function that was available in 6.0?

Rutra ( ) posted Mon, 26 January 2009 at 1:37 PM

Like I said, backdrops work fine for me (V7I, Vista64). Apparently, it also works fine for Mazak.
Like you can see in the comparative charts, some versions require an additional module (Pro Studio is one of them). But it should work fine in Vue 7 Complete without any module, so what ArtPearl reported seems like a bug.

ArtPearl ( ) posted Mon, 26 January 2009 at 2:03 PM

Oh you're so right Rutra - the comparison chart says v7comp should have it...So  I just tried it again and it works...What went wrong yesterday? must have been a bug in my brain's software, not v7... :)
Good, one less to report - I have a little que forming, including the drop command sometimes drops things on their side (ie it rotates the item in addition to translating); it's a bit dislexic - if I type into a numeric (or text) field the order of the digits/letters is wrong unless I type really very slowly (it is not my fingers, after a few times I watched my fingers carefully).
Oh it is so much fun.....

"I paint that which comes from the imagination or from dreams, or from an unconscious drive. I photograph the things that I do not wish to paint, the things which already have an existence."
Man Ray, modernist painter
http://artpearl.redbubble.com/

chippwalters ( ) posted Mon, 26 January 2009 at 4:11 PM · edited Mon, 26 January 2009 at 4:19 PM

Ken,

Quote - I'm slowly losing interest and faith in Vue 7.0 and possibly any software from e-on in the future...

Great. You've said this a number of times already, both here and on e-on's forums. If you're done with Vue, then fine, but to announce it over and over in this forum (and others) is...frankly...not only a bit self-serving..but quite borish.

From what I can gather about your latest issue, the problem boils down to:

1. The fact a button is enabled- when it should be disabled;
  2. The fact you don't read the comparison charts before you purchased your product.

chippwalters ( ) posted Mon, 26 January 2009 at 4:38 PM

FYI, Here's a sample image I created in Vue 7 Complete using the backdrop function:

dlk30341 ( ) posted Mon, 26 January 2009 at 4:49 PM · edited Mon, 26 January 2009 at 4:50 PM

Chipp, I think the problem is that the backdrop does show up once it's rendered, it just doesn't show UNTIL you render now(after the render it gos back to blank screen).  If I add a backdrop in V6I the backdrop shows w/out having it to be rendered out.

Your image shows a rendered image, not just a screen grab after applying the image.

Hope that makes sense.

dlk30341 ( ) posted Mon, 26 January 2009 at 4:58 PM

file_422642.jpg

V6I screen grab - how it should look upon loading a backdrop

dlk30341 ( ) posted Mon, 26 January 2009 at 4:59 PM

file_422643.jpg

V7I - same iteration - no backdrop showing in OGL once applied.

kenmo ( ) posted Mon, 26 January 2009 at 5:12 PM

Quote -  Ken,

Quote - I'm slowly losing interest and faith in Vue 7.0 and possibly any software from e-on in the future...

Great. You've said this a number of times already, both here and on e-on's forums. If you're done with Vue, then fine, but to announce it over and over in this forum (and others) is...frankly...not only a bit self-serving..but quite borish.

From what I can gather about your latest issue, the problem boils down to:

1. The fact a button is enabled- when it should be disabled;
  2. The fact you don't read the comparison charts before you purchased your product.

And your constant defending of a software application full of bugs is getting more then borish.... I find you are now personally attacking me and stalking me in the various forums.

I've been on this forum for quite some time and I've never once said anything bad about another user or any of the various software packages I use...

I find the latest version of Vue to be very unsatisfactory. It is full of bugs. It is my honest opinion and I am more then entiitled to it.... I find your remarks directed towards me to be quite insulting....

Please stop at once....

chippwalters ( ) posted Mon, 26 January 2009 at 5:32 PM

Ken,

I am sorry if you are offended at my many and clear attempts to provide solutions to your problems.

I have identified workarounds for many issues you have raised, including finding 2 different .obj exporters to help you import SketchUp models. I have researched the SketchUp SDK problem and identified a website where the latest information on Googles SDK can be found. Clearly, it is impossible for Vue to comply with SketchUp 7 models when Google didn't even have a SU 7 SDK available for them to use.

Here, I am only pointing out what I think is obvious in this thread. Namely, the incorrectly perceived lack of a feature which is identified correctly on e-on's website and it's subsequent bug in not having the button disabled.

The fact remains, you are unhappy about Vue and have noted so on more than several occasions, on more than one forum. I have done my best to try and help you out, but based upon your remarks, there is little I can do to satisfy you.

If you do not want help with your problems, then you should be explicit in stating you are not looking for solutions. I, and others here, try to help when possible.

chippwalters ( ) posted Mon, 26 January 2009 at 5:45 PM

Quote - V7I - same iteration - no backdrop showing in OGL once applied.

Yup, that seems like a bonafide bug. I suggest you send in a report. I don't see it working in either Vue 7 Infinite or Complete-- unless there's a setting I'm missing somewhere?

dlk30341 ( ) posted Mon, 26 January 2009 at 5:51 PM · edited Mon, 26 January 2009 at 5:54 PM

file_422645.jpg

I reported it today.  In addition, I'm having other OGL issues as well.  For example, I can't see any mat I apply to a terrain, it just remains a burgundy(grey blob not selected is why it's grey) shaded blob, same with objects etc etc :(.  I updated to the latest drivers today but with no joy.

FYI new Nvidia drivers out 1/22/09

kenmo ( ) posted Mon, 26 January 2009 at 5:52 PM

I've thanked many a time in the past for your help. As I've said before. I do appreciate it.

What I do not appreciate is the constant insults you direct towards me.

As I've stated in the past I'm attempting to import version 6 models that were saved in version 6 of the FREE Google Sketchup. Your claim  they are version 7 is incorrect and misleading...

Work arounds? Again why must I use a work around for a function I paid for?

The back drop and Sketchup model problems are just two problems I've encountered. The bigger problems are sometimes Vue 7 renders to a black square and/or Vue 7 will shut down stating insufficient memory. I have 3 gbs of ram and do not have these problems with 6.5...

I've been using Vue since version 3 and it is only recently I've ever posted anything negative about Vue or any software I use for that matter.  Vue 7.0 is a very big disappointment to me. I'm being honest and sincere....

chippwalters ( ) posted Mon, 26 January 2009 at 6:06 PM · edited Mon, 26 January 2009 at 6:06 PM

Quote - I've thanked many a time in the past for your help. As I've said before. I do appreciate it. 

You're most welcome :-)

Quote - What I do not appreciate is the constant insults you direct towards me.

I am sorry if what I wrote hurt your feelings. Unfortunately, the written word is a somewhat difficult medium to discern one's intentions.

Quote - As I've stated in the past I'm attempting to import version 6 models that were saved in version 6 of the FREE Google Sketchup. Your claim  they are version 7 is incorrect and misleading...

I believe the original thread talked about SU 7. Going back, I see you stated:  > Quote - The Google Sketchup ver 6 models imported fine. Ver 7 did not..

I suppose that is what I was responding to.

In anycase, the .obj workaround will work with SU 6 files as well.

Quote - Work arounds? Again why must I use a work around for a function I paid for? The back drop and Sketchup model problems are just two problems I've encountered. The bigger problems are sometimes Vue 7 renders to a black square and/or Vue 7 will shut down stating insufficient memory. I have 3 gbs of ram and do not have these problems with 6.5...

Actually, in V7, you did not pay for the backdrop functionality. You can purchase a module to do that for you.

Are you running a 32 bit OS or 64 bit OS? I don't think the 32 bit OS will allow Vue to access all 3GB of ram. I'm not sure, but I thought the black square problem just got fixed with the latest patch-- at least one of them did :-)

kenmo ( ) posted Mon, 26 January 2009 at 6:16 PM · edited Mon, 26 January 2009 at 6:18 PM

I paid for the ability to import Sketchup models. It's not working. Some ver 6 import. others do not.

kenmo ( ) posted Mon, 26 January 2009 at 9:17 PM · edited Mon, 26 January 2009 at 9:29 PM

I've gotten a site message from a regular here accusing me of hating Vue, even suggesting I am trying to drive customers away from Vue. This is hogwash....

All I can say is I've been a member of Renderosity since 2001 and a Vue user since version 3. I've always been very enthusiastic about Vue. I eagerly awaited upgrading to ver 7.0. My experience has not been very good with version 7.0. In the past I've been very satisfied with  e-on products -  version 3 (Espirit), 4 (Espirit), 5 (Espirit) and 6.0/6.5 (Pro Studio)....

It has been an excellent application, a stellar product and a good friend.

My frustration is only with version 7.0 Pro Studio. I can not comment on 7.0 Espirit, xStream, Complete, etc.... I find it to be unstable, rendering most times to a black rectangle, does not import alot of ver 6 Sketchup models and  shuts down alot...

Sorry if I appear to be venting but all I can do is be honest and sincere about my experiences with Vue Pro Studio ver 7.0... (I 'm running version 7.20-04 Build 38774). IMHO it is not delivering the performance or features e-on promises. I've not had this complaint with past upgrades of Vue... I would suggest you do not let my experience with ver 7.0 Pro Studio influence your decision to upgrade or not....

Cheers

Kenmo

dlk30341 ( ) posted Tue, 27 January 2009 at 9:31 AM

For those having the issues I mentioned above a reply from EON has arrived:

Hi,

My OGL is basically non-existent, not sure what else to say here. The items show up fully burgundy shaded(I have tried checking & un-checking limit polys to no avail). In addition, when I go to use a backdrop it doesn't show until I render.

V6I has full OGL & the camera backdrop works as well, it shows as soon as I apply it.

I thought all this was fixed, this is very frustrating :(

Thanks,

Debby
  Posted by: Lee Randall On: 2009/01/27 04:37:57
Hi Debby L,

Thanks for the report. This is a known problem and should be fixed by the next update.

Best regards.
Lee Randall

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.