Wed, Sep 18, 7:59 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 7:39 am)

Subject: OT: Heat Wave Hell Down Under

mathman ( ) posted Thu, 29 January 2009 at 1:57 AM · edited Tue, 10 September 2024 at 8:38 AM

Hi,

I guess y'all in the Northern Hemisphere are battling the freezing cold ?
Here in Melbourne (Australia, not Florida) we have suffered the third hottest day on record, at a sizzling 44.3 degrees C (not sure what this is in Fahrenheit).
Phew.....drains any motivation to play with Poser....

regards,
Andrew

patorak ( ) posted Thu, 29 January 2009 at 2:17 AM

44.3 C...Sounds like it's time to hit the beach!

dphoadley ( ) posted Thu, 29 January 2009 at 3:47 AM

You're welcome to come and stay with me here in slightly chilly Israel, and we can play around with my remapped Judy together.
DPH

STOP PALESTINIAN CHILD ABUSE!!!! ISLAMIC HATRED OF JEWS

odf ( ) posted Thu, 29 January 2009 at 3:54 AM

That's around 112 F.

I think we must have had something like 100 F (or 38 C) here in Canberra today. I'm actually enjoying it quite a bit. It's like a spring day in central Arizona. But I have to admit that if it stays like that or goes up to what you had in Melbourne, I might have to go and acquire some fans.

-- I'm not mad at you, just Westphalian.

silverblade33 ( ) posted Thu, 29 January 2009 at 4:25 AM

Well you could come to cold, damp Scotland...or maybe not :D
Fry or shiver, icky choices! hehe.

40+C is getitng unhealthy though :(

"I'd rather be a Fool who believes in Dragons, Than a King who believes in Nothing!" www.silverblades-suitcase.com
Free tutorials, Vue & Bryce materials, Bryce Skies, models, D&D items, stories.
Tutorials on Poser imports to Vue/Bryce, Postwork, Vue rendering/lighting, etc etc!

Lucifer_The_Dark ( ) posted Thu, 29 January 2009 at 5:41 AM

I've heard that if the temperature goes above 15C in Scotland the natives break out the beach wear & hit the coast, is that true? ;)

Windows 7 64Bit
Poser Pro 2010 SR1

skuts ( ) posted Thu, 29 January 2009 at 6:31 AM

Come to Baltimore, hon, we just had an ice storm yesterday and everything is coated in an inch of solid ice. Woohoo!

"Facts are the enemy of truth."

mathman ( ) posted Thu, 29 January 2009 at 7:16 AM

patorak, the local beaches are crowded at the moment....
dph, i might just take you up on your offer one day, it would be nice to meet you...
odf, canberra's really nice, i've heard it still gets cold at night is that true ? ...

odf ( ) posted Thu, 29 January 2009 at 8:51 AM

Only if you consider 25 C cold. 😄

geoegress ( ) posted Thu, 29 January 2009 at 9:25 AM

It's been -17 or -18 C here in the mornings all week in Michigan. Thats 0 or -1 F.

Darboshanski ( ) posted Thu, 29 January 2009 at 9:56 AM

Nice and cool here in New England, 7ft snow banks and ice. I was listening to the weather idiots and they said we could be in for a long winter no early spring this year.

If I was going to the beach I'd hope there are no holes in the shark nets!

My Facebook Page

metabog ( ) posted Thu, 29 January 2009 at 12:38 PM

Andrew does it get very cold in Melbourne in your winter?
Is Australia's economy slowing down?
Steve

mathman ( ) posted Thu, 29 January 2009 at 2:34 PM

metabog,
it does not get cold enough for us to get snow, however it does get down below 0 C sometime.
Re the local economy, i believe so but we are not as bad as the rest of the world (not yet anyway).

LostinSpaceman ( ) posted Thu, 29 January 2009 at 2:58 PM · edited Thu, 29 January 2009 at 2:58 PM

I'm burried under snow and 20F Temps. I don't wanna hear it unless you're buying me the plane ticket to come share the warmth.  

WandW ( ) posted Thu, 29 January 2009 at 3:57 PM

Here in central Massachusetts we have had 56 inches (142 cm) of snow this winter, as compared to an average of 26 " (66 cm) by this date. 

However, temperatures have been spot-on average.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Wisdom of bagginsbill:

"Oh - the manual says that? I have never read the manual - this must be why."
“I could buy better software, but then I'd have to be an artist and what's the point of that?"
"The [R'osity Forum Search] 'Default' label should actually say 'Don't Find What I'm Looking For'".
bagginsbill's Free Stuff... https://web.archive.org/web/20201010171535/https://sites.google.com/site/bagginsbill/Home

hborre ( ) posted Thu, 29 January 2009 at 10:19 PM

Well, we had 5 inches of snow the other night into morning here on Long Island. Then it completely changed over to rain.  Thank goodness.  Although the snow we're having this year is the powdery stuff which hasn't frozen over and have lasted awhile.  Rather unusual for this area.

Winterclaw ( ) posted Thu, 29 January 2009 at 10:24 PM

Except for a cold spell, we've had an unusually warm winter here in florida while the rest of the nation is freezing in colder than normal temperatures.

WARK!

Thus Spoketh Winterclaw: a blog about a Winterclaw who speaks from time to time.

(using Poser Pro 2014 SR3, on 64 bit Win 7, poser units are inches.)

masha ( ) posted Fri, 30 January 2009 at 6:27 AM

@ Mathman quote   "   Here in Melbourne (Australia, not Florida) we have suffered the third hottest day on record, at a sizzling 44.3 degrees C (not sure what this is in Fahrenheit).Phew.....drains any motivation to play with Poser...."

Play  with Poser?   Plat with anything..period. :)  Can you imagine those tennis players of the Australian Open fighting it out in these conditions?  Two have qut  because of heat-induced ailments

@ patorak   "44.3 C...Sounds like it's time to hit the beach!"

At temperatures like this we would look like your avatar in a week ;)

@ odf   "That's around 112 F.  I think we must have had something like 100 F (or 38 C) here in Canberra today. I'm actually enjoying it quite a bit. It's like a spring day in central Arizona. But I have to admit that if it stays like that or goes up to what you had in Melbourne, I might have to go and acquire some fans.

Are you from Arizona originally then?   I just came back from a brief visit to  Canberra.  The nigiht was reasonable. I packed my tiny Aussie Cooler fan (81/2" x 6" folded) and  it blew up a storm.  Never leave home without it .

@Lucifer_The_Dark," I've heard that if the temperature goes above 15C in Scotland the natives break out the beach wear & hit the coast, is that true? ;)"

Lol.. 15 degs and I break out the amorak here in Sydney.

@PaganArtist   "Nice and cool here in New England, 7ft snow banks and ice. I was listening to the weather idiots and they said we could be in for a long winter no early spring this year.
                  If I was going to the beach I'd hope there are no holes in the shark nets!

Actually there's been a bit of a  to-and-fro-ing  about shark nets here lately, and a number of attacks on beaches.  Apparently they don't stop really hungry  finned critters at all.   Illusionary safety  it seems.

I normally view remarks about weather as  breaking the ice chit-chat, but hey, this has been fun.  Did I mention I have been to Montreal when it was -28F and your nostrils kind of froze  together?  Now THAT was an experience. :)

odf ( ) posted Fri, 30 January 2009 at 6:48 AM

Quote -
Are you from Arizona originally then?   I just came back from a brief visit to  Canberra.  The nigiht was reasonable. I packed my tiny Aussie Cooler fan (81/2" x 6" folded) and  it blew up a storm.  Never leave home without it .

No, I'm originally from Germany, but I worked at Arizona State University for some time.

That fan sounds great. I'll hit the shops this weekend and see what I can find to get a bit of a breeze going in this house.

Anthony Appleyard ( ) posted Fri, 30 January 2009 at 7:50 AM · edited Fri, 30 January 2009 at 7:50 AM

Here in England we are expecting a cold east wind straight from Russia, and snow showers in it. Brrrrrrr.

Once in Sharm el Sheikh in Sinai I was in 51degC = 124degC in the shade. I reckon that if a workman had hosed me down with the flamethrower, I would not have felt it, because it was that hot anyway. Absurd when the temperature Fahrenheit gets into the hundred-and-teens and further. The weather was like an incinerator.

-Timberwolf- ( ) posted Fri, 30 January 2009 at 7:59 AM

I am burning everything to put more CO2 into the Athmosphere to force Global Warming . I cannot stand coldness and I hate winter.I am like a Snake I come alive from25C and above . ...Hey burning everything was just kidding ;)

Peggy_Walters ( ) posted Fri, 30 January 2009 at 8:00 AM

Here in San Diego, we have four seasons: summer, nearly summer, almost summer, and hey look, it's summer again.  It's 66F and sunny as always.  :-)

LVS - Where Learning is Fun!  
http://www.lvsonline.com/index.html

mathman ( ) posted Fri, 30 January 2009 at 8:23 AM

I want one of those Aussie Cooler Fans ...... where do you get it ?

Winterclaw ( ) posted Fri, 30 January 2009 at 12:21 PM

44.3C is roughly 111.7F.  That's pretty hot.

WARK!

Thus Spoketh Winterclaw: a blog about a Winterclaw who speaks from time to time.

geoegress ( ) posted Fri, 30 January 2009 at 5:18 PM

LOL @ Peggy_Walters

:D

masha ( ) posted Fri, 30 January 2009 at 5:47 PM

@ odf and Mathman
Re Aussie Cooler fan - I inherited it from my father, and I'm pretty sure he got it from one of those mail order catalogues which sell some wacky and sometimes neat gadgets and inverntions you don't see anywhere else.   I just looked up Magnamail which is one and has an on-line prescence but didn't see one there. ( I did find a pooper scooper without bending though if you're in the market for it. :)
Did a search on Google and no joy.  Sorry guys, maybe mine is a museum piece.

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Fri, 30 January 2009 at 6:46 PM

it's 70 F and sunny in silicon valley.  that's around 20 C IIRC.

homeriscool ( ) posted Fri, 30 January 2009 at 6:49 PM

well its bloody freezing  here in england. - 3 today i think it said, and next week is forecast to be the coldest week in the last 60 years!!!!  i want to live in australia :(

odf ( ) posted Fri, 30 January 2009 at 7:28 PM

Just because it keeps coming up, here's a little Celsius-Fahrenheit conversion primer:

To get from Celsius to Fahrenheit, subtract 10%, multiply by two and add 32. Example: 20C. Taking 10% off gives 18, doubling gives 36, adding 32 gives 68F.

To get from Fahrenheit to Celsius just reverse the above. So you subtract 32, divide by two and add 10%. To be precise, you'd have to add 11.11111(and so on) percent, but 10 is close enough. Example: 100F. Subtracting 32 leaves 68, dividing by two give 34, adding 10% gives 37.4, whereas the precise value is 37.777777(and so on).

These days I actually find it easier to memorize some values and go from there. Ten degrees Celsius difference correspond to 18 degree Fahrenheit difference. So once you remember that 0C is 32F, you can make a little table.

C   F
 0  32
10  50
20  68
30  84
40 104
50 122

Just memorize the one that's closest to home and off you go. Ten more degrees in C means 18 more in F, and 5 more in C means 9 more in F. So 25C is 77F and 27C is roughly 81F because in between the 5C steps using 2 as the factor is close enough.

I guess I may be overthinking certain things. :biggrin:

Darboshanski ( ) posted Fri, 30 January 2009 at 10:15 PM

I grew up in Florida and it seemed we had only 2 seasons hehehehe but I can remember many times getting  a good frost on our orange and tangerine trees.  I think I hated summer the most it get so hot the sand on the beach would burn the bottoms of your feet. I can remember my brothers and I kicking our shoes off when we'd get to the beach and then run like heck into the nice 88 degree bath water known as the Gulf of Mexico..LOL! Florida was hard on my parents they being from Donegal Ireland and not used to such heat.

Mathman I understand you are having bad bush fires again this year.

My Facebook Page

mathman ( ) posted Sat, 31 January 2009 at 12:21 AM

PaganArtist, we have had worse bushfire seasons than this year which is surprising considering that we have had very hot winds and very tinder dry vegetation.

Anthony Appleyard ( ) posted Sat, 31 January 2009 at 12:33 AM

degF = (9/5) * degC + 32; degC = (degF - 32) * (5/9)

9/5 = 1 / (5/9) = 2 / (10/9) = 2 * (9/10)

degF = (degC -degC/10) * 2 + 32

x = (degF - 32); degC = (x + x/9)  /  2

RGUS ( ) posted Sat, 31 January 2009 at 10:43 AM

And it's no different here in New Zealand across the ditch...  except we are surrounded by water and there is a cool sea breeze occassionally. We haven't got as high as 44 degrees... yet... but even the lawnmower is refusing to go out in that sun and that heat. But at least my firewood is all stacked away for Winter... when and if it every comes again.

Acadia ( ) posted Sat, 31 January 2009 at 10:47 AM

Quote - degF = (9/5) * degC + 32; degC = (degF - 32) * (5/9)

9/5 = 1 / (5/9) = 2 / (10/9) = 2 * (9/10)

degF = (degC -degC/10) * 2 + 32

x = (degF - 32); degC = (x + x/9)  /  2

Or you could just use this calculator :)

http://www.eskimo.com/~jet/javascript/convert.html

I don't understand Fahrenheit temperatures at all anymore.

I don't understand why the USA doesn't follow the rest of the world and go metric.  It's much easier.

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi

WandW ( ) posted Sat, 31 January 2009 at 11:21 AM · edited Sat, 31 January 2009 at 11:22 AM

Quote -

I don't understand why the USA doesn't follow the rest of the world and go metric.  It's much easier.

Actually the Metric System is the legal standard in the US-The US was one of the original signatories of the Treaty of the Metre.  However, the People have repeatedly excersised their Liberty by choosing not to use it for everyday measurements

For  some things I could see, such as fasteners (although US made cars are almost entirely metric anyway), but things such as temperature and land distance are arbitrary anyway.  A Kilometer (IIRC) is 1/10,000 of the distance from the equator to the North Pole along the Meridian of Paris (France, not Texas).  0 degrees F is the freezing point of sea water, and 100 F was supposed to be human body temperature, but Dr. Farenheit's thermometer must have been a little off. 

When I took engineering courses I learned how to do calculations both ways, but I must say I prefered metric because I didn't need to worry about the distinction between weight and mass, which had to be paid close attention to when using Customary Unts.

The first time I rode in a car in England, we were on the Highway heading to Manchester. I looked at the speedometer, and thought  "This feels faster than 80 KPH".  I then saw the speed limit sign, which was in Miles per hour (I think it was 70 mph, but it went by pretty quickly!), and realised that we certainly were going  faster than 80 kph!

Customarily Yours,

Rod Schaffter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Wisdom of bagginsbill:

"Oh - the manual says that? I have never read the manual - this must be why."
“I could buy better software, but then I'd have to be an artist and what's the point of that?"
"The [R'osity Forum Search] 'Default' label should actually say 'Don't Find What I'm Looking For'".
bagginsbill's Free Stuff... https://web.archive.org/web/20201010171535/https://sites.google.com/site/bagginsbill/Home

Winterclaw ( ) posted Sat, 31 January 2009 at 12:04 PM

Quote - I don't understand why the USA doesn't follow the rest of the world and go metric.  It's much easier.

Because the metric system is french... do we really need any other reason?

Anyways, it's all arbitrary no matter which system we use so it doesn't really matter.  Plus the US doesn't want to give up our inches, feet, and miles. 

WARK!

Boofy ( ) posted Thu, 12 February 2009 at 8:15 PM

Yup lots of fires, (some 'man made' grrrr) bit cooler last few days, 20deg C or so. But heating up to mid 30's plus again so that will be a worrisome for the people near the fires.

Getting smoke haze today in the city cause of the wind change, u guys with snow...send it over!!!

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.