Wed, Sep 18, 8:02 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 7:39 am)

Subject: New Computer for Poser

Eiseprod ( ) posted Sat, 31 January 2009 at 9:35 AM · edited Wed, 11 September 2024 at 6:32 PM

I realised that I couldn't do much work with my old computer. Even though it is reasonably sized ( 149GB hard disk, 2GB RAM and pentium 4 processor) it freezes on the smallest tasks like if I press ok or cancel in the commamd prompt when it comes up. Things like dynamic hair or clothing were a no go area. It got so frustrating, I had to go for a new computer. Now I have 1TB, Quad core processor and 4GB of Ram.

First of all, I want to ask, is this an above board average computer for animations?
Secondly, the liscence I have on my Poser 7 is a single user computer. How do I transfer my current Poser 7 with all the content I have both created and downloaded to the new computer. Or do I buy a new one ( I don't think that will be right anyway)

svdl ( ) posted Sat, 31 January 2009 at 11:40 AM

That computer is pretty good for animations. You'll see a definite performance increase.

The freezing you experienced on your old machine may have to do with your graphics card and drivers.

About the Poser 7 license: you can use Poser 7 "like a book" You can have it installed on more than one machine, but you may only use it on one machine at a time.
So installing Poser 7 on your new machine falls perfectly within the limits of the license agreement. Transferring your content: the same - just copy it over. As long as you use it "like a book" on one computer at a time, you're OK.
Although I'm not completely certain about the content. As far as I know, this procedure is valid for DAZ content, RDNA content and Renderosity content, but I'm not sure about the standard licenses of other venues. You'd have to check the readme.txt and license.txt files.

The pen is mightier than the sword. But if you literally want to have some impact, use a typewriter

My gallery   My freestuff

WandW ( ) posted Sat, 31 January 2009 at 12:22 PM · edited Sat, 31 January 2009 at 12:27 PM

The issues with the  old machine sound like you may have a problem with Windows; not with the computer hardware.  I keep Windows in its own 10 GB partition so I can delete it and reinstall from scratch, which I need to do every three years or so. (actually I get it Windows all setup and working, and pull a disk image using partimage and Knoppix; When I want to reinstall, I format the partition and restore it from the saved mage.  I then reinstall my apps)

As far as the content goes, if you delete the copy on the old  computer when you install it on the new, there should be no issue. 

Poser is self-contained-you can copy the Poser 7 directory to the new machine, and it will run fine.  If you reinstall SR 3 after moving it, it will install the file asociations and registry entries

Cheers,

Rod.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Wisdom of bagginsbill:

"Oh - the manual says that? I have never read the manual - this must be why."
“I could buy better software, but then I'd have to be an artist and what's the point of that?"
"The [R'osity Forum Search] 'Default' label should actually say 'Don't Find What I'm Looking For'".
bagginsbill's Free Stuff... https://web.archive.org/web/20201010171535/https://sites.google.com/site/bagginsbill/Home

AntoniaTiger ( ) posted Sun, 01 February 2009 at 12:53 PM

With my old machine, I do get noticeable pauses when I'm switching tasks--render back to preview, for instance. My understanding is that Windows version is important to get the best out of multiple core processors. My experience is that you must install manufacturer's graphics drivers if you want good OpenGL support, rather than relying on Microsoft.

Current standard hardware is better than what I have in my machine, except perhaps for the quantity of RAM. Choosing the graphics card is important, especially if you think you might want to use software other than Poser.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.