Wed, Sep 18, 7:52 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 7:39 am)

Subject: What is a Tetrabyte?

Acadia ( ) posted Sat, 31 January 2009 at 11:12 AM · edited Fri, 13 September 2024 at 10:31 AM

I saw an external runtime that is 1.5 tetrabytes. But I have no clue how big that is.

I found this on the internet:

1,024 megabytes = 1 gigabyte

1,024 gigabytes = 1 terabyte

1,048,576 (1,0242) megabytes = 1 terabyte

But I can't get my brain around those numbers.

I currently have a 250 gig external drive and it's full! I was going to get another one that is 500 gigs, but I looked at my partitioned drive and a couple of my smaller 40 gig external drives and I don't think it would all fit onto 500 gigs. So I want something bigger, and a tetrabyte seems bigger.

How many 250 gigs are in 1.5 tetrabytes.  Knowing that will help me to visualize the size.

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi

JVRenderer ( ) posted Sat, 31 January 2009 at 11:19 AM

Software: Daz Studio 4.15,  Photoshop CC, Zbrush 2022, Blender 3.3, Silo 2.3, Filter Forge 4. Marvelous Designer 7

Hardware: self built Intel Core i7 8086K, 64GB RAM,  RTX 3090 .

"If you spend too much time arguing about software, you're spending too little time creating art!" ~ SomeSmartAss

"A critic is a legless man who teaches running." ~ Channing Pollock

My Gallery  My Other Gallery 

Paloth ( ) posted Sat, 31 January 2009 at 11:20 AM

Six 250 gig drives would be 1.5 terabytes, since .5 is one half of a terabyte, which would be another 500 gigs tacked on to the 1000 gigs. Or not...

Download my free stuff here: http://www.renderosity.com/homepage.php?page=2&userid=323368

Victoria_Lee ( ) posted Sat, 31 January 2009 at 11:23 AM

It's this simple, Acadia.

1 Megabyte = 1 million bytes
1 Gigabyte = 1 Billion bytes
1 Terrabyte = 1 Trillion bytes

Currently I have nearly 2 terrabytes in hard drive space when you factor in all of my hard drives.

Hugz from Phoenix, USA

Victoria

Remember, sometimes the dragon wins. Correction: MOST times.

Nance ( ) posted Sat, 31 January 2009 at 11:24 AM

Round’em off and

Kilobyte = 1000

Megabyte = 1,000,000

Gigabyte = 1,000,000,000

Terabyte = 1,000,000,000,000

So a 1.5 Terabyte drive would hold about the same as 6  drives that were 250 Gigs.

svdl ( ) posted Sat, 31 January 2009 at 11:25 AM

Remember that disk manufactuerers use another definition for megabyte, gigabyte and terabyte than the official ones. For example a 750 gigabyte harddisk actually has 750,000,000,000 bytes, which equals 698 "real" gigabytes.
So when you format that 1.5 Tb drive, expect to get somewhat less than 1400 "real" gigabytes.

The pen is mightier than the sword. But if you literally want to have some impact, use a typewriter

My gallery   My freestuff

Acadia ( ) posted Sat, 31 January 2009 at 11:49 AM

Whee! Thanks!

I'll get that 1.5 tetrabyte one. That should last me until at least the end of the year!  

Winterclaw ( ) posted Sat, 31 January 2009 at 11:54 AM

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SI_prefix

That is a list of the prefixes and their numerical equivalent.

WARK!

Thus Spoketh Winterclaw: a blog about a Winterclaw who speaks from time to time.

(using Poser Pro 2014 SR3, on 64 bit Win 7, poser units are inches.)

bagginsbill ( ) posted Sat, 31 January 2009 at 12:06 PM · edited Sat, 31 January 2009 at 12:07 PM

Acadia, just wanted to let you know two things.

1) You have several times written "tetrabytes". A tetra is a type of small fish, often kept in home aquariums. Terabyte - only has 2 t's, not 3. When you first asked, I honestly thought it was perhaps a new technical term, not a mispelling of terabyte. (Tetra in Greek means 4, so thought it was a 4-byte something perhaps.)

2) A terabyte used to be a huge enterprise-grade amount of storage. EMC corporation became a giant corporate presence selling terabyte storage systems, comprising hundreds or thousands of individual hard drives slaved to work together as one. Only 10 years ago, I remember getting one at work that was $50,000 US. The idea that you're going to put 1.5 TB in your PC, for the purpose of making pretty pictures, is astonishing to me. :-)

Today, EMC won't talk to you unless you're interested in petabytes. That's 1000 times a terabyte.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

svdl ( ) posted Sat, 31 January 2009 at 12:23 PM

Interestingly, the word petabyte has nothing to do with the French word "pete" (accents?). Unless the inventor of the word tried to convey the idea of farting enormous amounts of bytes

The pen is mightier than the sword. But if you literally want to have some impact, use a typewriter

bantha ( ) posted Sat, 31 January 2009 at 12:33 PM

True, not too long ago, one terabyte was expensive, enterprise storage. That triggers memories....

I live in Hannover, Germany. We have one of the biggest computer fairs worldwide in Hannover - the CeBit. The CeBit started 1986 as a fair of it's own, it was part of the Hannover Industry Fair in the earlier years. 

In the first CeBit, I remember seeing a "True Color Graphics Subsystem". If I remember right, it was available in a resolution of 320200 or in 640400, both could be connected via the serial interface (RS-232, still in many computers. If you still use a modem, it may be connected over that port). It took some time to transfer an image to the system, it was expensive - close to one million dollar at that time, if I remember right. I was really impressed, and thought - that would be great, if stuff like this would be cheap enough for normal people - but I did not expect that to happen.

Today, much better graphics adapters a thrown away, just because they are to slow and too bad. Every adapter is better than this. 

A ship in port is safe; but that is not what ships are built for.
Sail out to sea and do new things.
-"Amazing Grace" Hopper

Avatar image of me done by Chidori

wheatpenny ( ) posted Sat, 31 January 2009 at 1:08 PM
Site Admin

"tetra" is also related to the greek name for the number 4 (for example, in the word Tetrahedron)

Jeff

Renderosity Senior Moderator

Hablo español

Ich spreche Deutsch

Je parle français

Mi parolas Esperanton. Ĉu vi?

JoEtzold ( ) posted Sat, 31 January 2009 at 1:57 PM

And not to forget the Tetra Pak ... though a bit similar to a harddrive :rolleyes: ... sometimes the milk (read as  data) will flow into the glass (read as application) and sometimes not.
In second case you will need a cleaning cloth (read as system admin or developer) ... :laugh:

pakled ( ) posted Sat, 31 January 2009 at 2:59 PM

yeah...after Terabyte would be petabyte, then exobyte, (I think)...you're talking Star-Trek-sized storage by then...;) Decca - is a number found on a record label...;)

and to think...in 1988 I had 2 30-megabyte drives in my system, and wondered how I'd ever fill them...;)

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

aeilkema ( ) posted Sat, 31 January 2009 at 6:20 PM

I once bought a 20Mb harddrive and thought it would last me forever..... it didn't, so I upgraded to 40Mb. Figured it would last a while, but soon I had 60Mb.... 80Mb....120Mb....250Mb. Then came the Gb's..... 6Gb....20Gb....40Gb (that one is still in my computer!!)... 120Gb (it died)....160Gb (still in my computer) and last a 500Gb external drive. None of them lasted forever, only a year or less.

And you know what? I still believe my 500Gb external drive will last me forever. But the larger the drive capacities, the larger software developer do make their software. In the end you win nothing at all by buying a larger hard drive, the software grows with them.

Artwork and 3DToons items, create the perfect place for you toon and other figures!

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/index.php?vendor=23722

Due to the childish TOS changes, I'm not allowed to link to my other products outside of Rendo anymore :(

Food for thought.....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYZw0dfLmLk

MagnusGreel ( ) posted Sat, 31 January 2009 at 7:05 PM

I currently have 1.5 terabytes online spread across the 3 machines.... but that's not counting the laptop and all the Dvd's I've burnt.....

Airport security is a burden we must all shoulder. Do your part, and please grope yourself in advance.

svdl ( ) posted Sat, 31 January 2009 at 8:14 PM

Hmm. Total amount of disk space on all my machines together is rather - insane, one might say.

Main server: 2x160 GB in RAID 1
Auxiliary server: 2x74GB + 2 x 750 GB (two RAID 1 arrays)
Workstation 1: 2x500 GB
Workstation 2: 1x 320 GB + 1 x 750 GB + 1x 1000GB
Workstation 3: 1x74 GB + 1x320 GB + 1 x 1000 GB
Workstation 4: 2x80 GB+1x160 GB
Mediacenter: 1x300 GB
Laptop: 1x 160 GB
External: 1000 GB
Total: over 8000 GB (8 TB).

WandW ( ) posted Sat, 31 January 2009 at 9:14 PM

I remember paying $180 for a 120 MB drive in 1991.  Last year I bought a 1TB for $130, and now I could buy  a 1.5 TB for that.

I still have an 8" floppy with MS FORTRAN 80 on it.

Cheers,

Rod

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Wisdom of bagginsbill:

"Oh - the manual says that? I have never read the manual - this must be why."
“I could buy better software, but then I'd have to be an artist and what's the point of that?"
"The [R'osity Forum Search] 'Default' label should actually say 'Don't Find What I'm Looking For'".
bagginsbill's Free Stuff... https://web.archive.org/web/20201010171535/https://sites.google.com/site/bagginsbill/Home

dasquid ( ) posted Sun, 01 February 2009 at 3:21 AM

Quote - Acadia, just wanted to let you know two things.

1) You have several times written "tetrabytes". A tetra is a type of small fish, often kept in home aquariums. Terabyte - only has 2 t's, not 3. When you first asked, I honestly thought it was perhaps a new technical term, not a mispelling of terabyte. (Tetra in Greek means 4, so thought it was a 4-byte something perhaps.)

2) A terabyte used to be a huge enterprise-grade amount of storage. EMC corporation became a giant corporate presence selling terabyte storage systems, comprising hundreds or thousands of individual hard drives slaved to work together as one. Only 10 years ago, I remember getting one at work that was $50,000 US. The idea that you're going to put 1.5 TB in your PC, for the purpose of making pretty pictures, is astonishing to me. :-)

Today, EMC won't talk to you unless you're interested in petabytes. That's 1000 times a terabyte.

Petabyte? Isn't that where an animal activist gets bitten by the animal they are trying to feed carnivores vegetables?

martial ( ) posted Sun, 01 February 2009 at 5:41 AM

my first hard drive was connected to Atari St and it had 85 megs........so now with a terabyte it is terrifix

Angelsinger ( ) posted Sun, 01 February 2009 at 7:54 AM

Quote - Petabyte? Isn't that where an animal activist gets bitten by the animal they are trying to feed carnivores vegetables?

lol!  Good one!  thumb up

Speaking of sizes, last night I watched a movie in which a guy was told, "I want your entire C drive backed up on a floppy disk!" That movie was released in 2000.

Oh, and I remember thinking a computer I owned was hot stuff because it had a 20 gig hard drive. :P

bagginsbill ( ) posted Sun, 01 February 2009 at 8:16 AM · edited Sun, 01 February 2009 at 8:17 AM

I'm working with a company that has to move vast quantities of digital movies over the network, from a central location to remote digital signs. This requires the services of what is called a CDN (Content Distribution Network.)

We have to move about 2 GB of new content to 500 remote devices every month. That comes out to exactly 1000 GB or 1 TB.  So I happen to know what the cost of 1 TB network data is at the moment.

It costs $1000 US to move that much data in a month. Interesting, eh? At this point, based on current CDN costs, it would be cheaper to buy a new 1 TB disk and copy your data and physically mail it, than to transmit 1 TB over the net.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

pakled ( ) posted Sun, 01 February 2009 at 11:51 AM

copy the entire C drive to floppy...I had to do that (used more than 1...;) using the MS-DOS backup command (about 89 or so...;) Took about 25 floppies to back up a 10 megabyte Hardcard (hard drive on a desktop expansion card...;). Oh, and it was in prison, too...;) (not me, the PC...;)

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

Osper ( ) posted Sun, 01 February 2009 at 2:19 PM

As to the original question I thought bagginsbill was almost spot on.  There is a fish food called Tetramin for small tropical fish and I figured Tetrabyte might be for big ones!   :)      You can copy hard drives one to another by cabling direct.

MyCat ( ) posted Sun, 01 February 2009 at 10:25 PM

When you back up that 1.5 terabyte drive to DVD you will need around three hundred or more disks.

Silke ( ) posted Mon, 02 February 2009 at 6:44 AM

I remember the HUGE 30mb harddisk I had in my Amstrad.
If someone had told me I'd think nothing of emailing a 30mb file to someone... I'd have told them they are nuts. I had a 9.6 baud modem and it was EXPENSIVE to be online, so when you were done, you turned it off immediately. Email came along. Oh my!

I remember watching "Hackers" and one of them exclaiming “it’s got a 28.8bps modem!!!

How times have changed... :)

Silke

silverblade33 ( ) posted Mon, 02 February 2009 at 7:07 AM

Well, my first computer was an Amiga 500, 1 meg RAM, iirc. No hard drive, hard drives were WAY to expesnive, £300 for 120 megs, iirc?

Now, 8 gig RAM, 64 bit, quad core, 2x500gig drives...!! phenomenal change in oh..18 years?
I see they now sell an add on, for Amiga 600s and 1200s, you can plug a USB flash drive into the Amiga, to use as a hard drive.
So, yer old amiga can have an 8 gig flash drive....if only we had that back in the day, GAH!!! ;)

I'd imagine in 10 years, well have 64 Core CPUs, 1 terabyte of RAM, twin holographic drives of...flipping insane sizes lol, 100 petabytes each? the systems will also be more powerful by integration and 3 dimensional linkage across the CPUs and externals, and let us do real time rendering.

"I'd rather be a Fool who believes in Dragons, Than a King who believes in Nothing!" www.silverblades-suitcase.com
Free tutorials, Vue & Bryce materials, Bryce Skies, models, D&D items, stories.
Tutorials on Poser imports to Vue/Bryce, Postwork, Vue rendering/lighting, etc etc!

dvlenk6 ( ) posted Mon, 02 February 2009 at 7:21 AM

In a few years, that's how much RAM we'll need.

Friends don't let friends use booleans.

grichter ( ) posted Mon, 02 February 2009 at 9:23 AM

See what I know. I always thought a terabyte was a term used to describe when a flying dinosaur named tera something or another took a chunk out of a cave mans butt!

Acadia, you are rigiht about how fast you fill it up. There is a set of Murphy's laws relative to business. One was that you will always fill up the space available. Meaning that if a company built extra offices for future expansion, they hired bodies they didn't need to fill up the space sooner rather then later and long before they actaully needed the people. Got a 1T drive last spring and fit Murphy's law as I got real careless on what I kept and what I didn't. It's easy to do when you have all that room.

Gary

"Those who lose themselves in a passion lose less than those who lose their passion"

FrankT ( ) posted Mon, 02 February 2009 at 1:49 PM

There's a law around somewhere which states something along the lines of
"Nature abhors a vacuum and empty disk space"

My Freebies
Buy stuff on RedBubble

nyguy ( ) posted Mon, 02 February 2009 at 1:59 PM

I don't think Tetras bite :lol:

Sorry could not resist a little pun

I remember saying a few years ago, never would need more than 32MB ram and 8gig harddrive.

Poserverse The New Home for NYGUY's Freebies

Keith ( ) posted Mon, 02 February 2009 at 3:03 PM

Quote - There is a set of Murphy's laws relative to business. One was that you will always fill up the space available. Meaning that if a company built extra offices for future expansion, they hired bodies they didn't need to fill up the space sooner rather then later and long before they actaully needed the people. Got a 1T drive last spring and fit Murphy's law as I got real careless on what I kept and what I didn't. It's easy to do when you have all that room.

It's the general form of Parkinson's Law.   The law was originally "Work expands so as to fill the time available for its completion"  but several corollaries have been added on to it, including "Data expands to fill the space available for storage."  The Law has been generalized to: "The demand upon a resource tends to expand to match the supply of the resource."

Using the office example, it happens twice: first the number of people expand to fill the space, then the work fills to match the number of people.

Fazzel ( ) posted Mon, 02 February 2009 at 3:24 PM

My first computer was an Atari 800 and it had 16K of RAM and used a cassette tape recorder
as a mass storage device.  Don't remember anymore how many bytes a tape would hold.
I guess a few K.

Acadia ( ) posted Mon, 02 February 2009 at 5:57 PM

Quote - When you back up that 1.5 terabyte drive to DVD you will need around three hundred or more disks.

Wow! I can't believe this thread is still active. I only asked what I thought was a simple question, hehe

I plan on buying 2 of the external hard drives and mirroring them. That way if one fails, I'll still have the data on the other. If both fail, well, whoopsie!  

bagginsbill ( ) posted Mon, 02 February 2009 at 6:48 PM

Two! Wow. You're killing me.

Hehehe. Wow. 2 TB.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Mon, 02 February 2009 at 6:52 PM

I just looked up the data transfer specs on these things. Seems the common speed is 480 Mbps. At that rate, if you were loading data on it 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, with no pause, it will take you 695 days to fill it.

ssgbryan ( ) posted Mon, 02 February 2009 at 9:31 PM

Well, with my Mac Pro, I can go up to 7.5 Terabytes ( $130 per 1.5 Terabyte drive) but if I wait a month or two the 2TB drives will start popping up.

JoEtzold ( ) posted Tue, 03 February 2009 at 11:06 AM

Hi Bagginsbill,

how did you calculate that ??? That look like stone age ...

1 Mbps = 1 Megabit per second = 1.000.000 bit per second
with 8 bit = 1 byte, we have 125.000 byte per second or ~ 125 KB/s
so we have 480 * 125 KB/s = 60.000 KB/s = ~ 60 MB/s
This makes 3.600 MB/m or 216.000 MB/h = ~ 216 GB/h

Letting out that I have use 1000 instead of 1024 as correct divisor and also letting out some trafffic overhead for handshaking on the line, I think 1 Terabyte drivespace is filled in less than 5 hours .... though long enough but far away from 695 days ...

Think of a older "normal" DSL internet connection having 2000 kbit/s and think how quick you transfer a 2, 5 or 10 MB zipfile ... right, less than 1 minute ...

bagginsbill ( ) posted Tue, 03 February 2009 at 12:33 PM

Ah - I typed something wrong into the calculator. I didn't check my work. You're right. About 5 hours.

Nance ( ) posted Tue, 03 February 2009 at 8:52 PM

file_423369.JPG

Tetra Bite?

I suppose then, that the legendary Giant-Killer-Mutant-Neon Tetras are completely OT?

(bagginsbill made me do it!   - with apologies to Toucan, Anthony, FastTraxx, Virus, and artists in general.)

bagginsbill ( ) posted Tue, 03 February 2009 at 9:23 PM

LOL

grichter ( ) posted Tue, 03 February 2009 at 9:44 PM

Nance you are giving Gordon and his bi-weekly toons a run for his money. Good one

Gary

"Those who lose themselves in a passion lose less than those who lose their passion"

Nance ( ) posted Tue, 03 February 2009 at 10:01 PM

I admire everyone else's self-restraint, ...but,  but,  this just kept coming back around!

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.