Wed, Sep 18, 12:04 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 7:39 am)

Subject: Your first Poser?

Diaxus2 ( ) posted Sat, 31 January 2009 at 4:57 AM · edited Tue, 10 September 2024 at 7:20 AM

I started posering with a free copy of  poser3(i think) from the 3Dworld mag then got poserpro, poser 4, poser 5 and finaly poser 7 (missed poser6 as poser 5 worked fine for me).

but what was poser and poser2 like?
Has anyone here ever used them and what poser program did you start with?

bantha ( ) posted Sat, 31 January 2009 at 6:13 AM

I started with Poser 4. 

A ship in port is safe; but that is not what ships are built for.
Sail out to sea and do new things.
-"Amazing Grace" Hopper

Avatar image of me done by Chidori

geep ( ) posted Sat, 31 January 2009 at 6:19 AM

Attached Link: http://drgeep.com/history/history.htm

file_423022.gif

*(click the image to view full size) (click the link above the image to see ... the rest of the story - almost)*

Gosh, has it really been 15 years?! :blink:

cheers,
dr geep
;=]

Remember ... "With Poser, all things are possible, and poseable!"

cheers,

dr geep ... :o]

edited 10/5/2019

geep ( ) posted Sat, 31 January 2009 at 6:25 AM · edited Sat, 31 January 2009 at 6:26 AM

Attached Link: http://drgeep.com/AODG_Vol_01/0101/0101.htm

file_423023.gif

*(click the image to view full size) (click the link above the image to see ... where it all started)*

In the beginning ... 😄

cheers,
dr geep
;=]

@ bantha - You don't know what you missed. :lol:

Remember ... "With Poser, all things are possible, and poseable!"

cheers,

dr geep ... :o]

edited 10/5/2019

SeanMartin ( ) posted Sat, 31 January 2009 at 6:56 AM

I remember when Poser 3 came out and everyone was all upset about the new interface, so whoever owned it back then put in a command that would allow you to default to the old one.

I started with the original. Used it a few times and put it away because it was such a toy.

docandraider.com -- the collected cartoons of Doc and Raider

svdl ( ) posted Sat, 31 January 2009 at 7:00 AM

Toyed with the Pro Pack Demo a couple of times, decided I liked it, then decided to wait a month until Poser 5 came out.
After that, I was hooked.

The pen is mightier than the sword. But if you literally want to have some impact, use a typewriter

My gallery   My freestuff

-Timberwolf- ( ) posted Sat, 31 January 2009 at 7:14 AM

It was Poser 4 .I thought great Idea but I always prayed for better figures.To me Poser got going with the release of Victoria.

dan whiteside ( ) posted Sat, 31 January 2009 at 7:44 AM

Poser 1 - still have the diskettes it came on...

Acadia ( ) posted Sat, 31 January 2009 at 8:24 AM

I started with Poser 5. Now I use Poser 6.

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi

kathym ( ) posted Sat, 31 January 2009 at 9:15 AM

I started with Poser 3 when it was owned by Meta Creations and the models were made by Zygote. LOL

Just enjoying the Vue. :0)

replicand ( ) posted Sat, 31 January 2009 at 9:19 AM

Poser 3. I thought the idea was so cool - plus it worked with Ray Dream Studio! Killer combinations. Shortly after I discovered that the Japanese artists were doing these amazing hair and skin textures, and I was like "I want to do that!"

Faery_Light ( ) posted Sat, 31 January 2009 at 10:25 AM

Poser 4, a gift from one of my brothers. Then moved up to ProPack Enhanched, P5 ( another gift), P6 and last, P7 and no plans to go to Pro what with lack of funds. Digital art has become the only media of creating pictures I am able to do much. I miss doing my pencil sketches and, sometimes I did oil on canvas. Now my hands go into cramps if I hold a pencil or brush for more than a few minute. I've tried Daz Studio but still can't do as much with it as with Poser (my fault).

Let me introduce you to my multiple personalities. :)
     BluEcho...Faery_Light...Faery_Souls.

thefixer ( ) posted Sat, 31 January 2009 at 10:46 AM

Version 5, then 6 and finally 7. Didn't bother with Pro because I now use Vue7Infinite to render so Pro didn't offer me anything I didn't have with Poser 7.

Injustice will be avenged.
Cofiwch Dryweryn.

momodot ( ) posted Sat, 31 January 2009 at 11:35 AM

I remember the big decision to upgrade to P4. I used to use the switch to P2 GUI. Wish that was still an option. Sometimes I think I got a lot more actual work done using Poser 4 and all the free content available then!

Anthanasius ( ) posted Sat, 31 January 2009 at 11:50 AM

OMG !!!

My first was Poser 3 from Metacreation, next Poser 4, 6 and now 7

Génération mobiles Le Forum / Le Site

kathym ( ) posted Sat, 31 January 2009 at 11:57 AM

Quote - Sometimes I think I got a lot more actual work done using Poser 4 and all the free content available then!

OMG .. the stuff you could get for free. Wow .. a lot of the good sites became membership only sites after they realized "hey we can make money" ...

can I use the term the "olden days" yet? LOL

Just enjoying the Vue. :0)

SeanMartin ( ) posted Sat, 31 January 2009 at 1:31 PM

Quote - > Quote - Sometimes I think I got a lot more actual work done using Poser 4 and all the free content available then!

OMG .. the stuff you could get for free. Wow .. a lot of the good sites became membership only sites after they realized "hey we can make money" ...

can I use the term the "olden days" yet? LOL

Y'know, I have (now) 256 CDs of Poser content, some I've made, some I've bought, but most from freebies. And I've noticed that the number (and quality) of the freebies has declined over the years as well. In the day, I could find enough freebies to fill an entire CD in about four or five days time, so I learned to be judicious in what I downloaded. Now? Very different story...

pakled ( ) posted Sat, 31 January 2009 at 3:08 PM

256? dang..and I thought I was excessive with 'only' 174 (of course, the last 3 are DVDs...;)

Started with 4, then got the same P3 that the original poster had (free...grrr...;), then Poser 5 came out for free...and that's where I stand...;)

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

dlfurman ( ) posted Sat, 31 January 2009 at 3:24 PM

POSER 1!
And I still have my manuals and floppies!

"Few are agreeable in conversation, because each thinks more of what he intends to say than that of what others are saying, and listens no more when he himself has a chance to speak." - Francois de la Rochefoucauld

Intel Core i7 920, 24GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1050 4GB video, 6TB HDD space
Poser 12: Inches (Poser(PC) user since 1 and the floppies/manual to prove it!)

Sivana ( ) posted Sat, 31 January 2009 at 4:02 PM

I had Poser1 on my computer maaaany years ago. I think it was a freeware. But I never was abel to do something with it. So I delet this software when the harddrive of my old Compaqe hadn´t much freespace anymore.
In 2003 I start with Poser4 again ;-)

jefsview ( ) posted Sat, 31 January 2009 at 5:32 PM

Poser 6 was my first, then Poser 7.

Who knows if there will be a Poser 8, outside of Poser Pro.

-- Jeff

Diaxus2 ( ) posted Sat, 31 January 2009 at 5:48 PM · edited Sat, 31 January 2009 at 5:50 PM

thanks DR Geep, i did wonder when vicky came around. seems i had poser 3 then poser pro, both free from 3Dworld mag, and its that mag that got me started in CGI with strata3d and poser.

Before that i was using a prog called spazz 3d to make vrml objects for cybertown and its from that program that all of my intrest in making stuff came around,

3Dworld also gave a free copy of some bryce program (realy old n basic) and with using poser  my CG started to take over from free hand drawing and painting.

so my real history would be:

Spazz3d. strata 3d,  poser3, bryce?, poser pro..... and eventualy poser 7 , vue and studio max

RedPhantom ( ) posted Sat, 31 January 2009 at 5:49 PM
Site Admin

I'm curious to try using poser 1 or 2 but I've been so spoiled by 7 it drives me nuts when I have to use 5. Which floppies did p1 come on? 3.5 or 5.25?  And how many?

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader Monster of the North and The Shimmering Mage

Today I break my own personal record for the number of days for being alive.
Check out my store here or my free stuff here
I use Poser 13 and win 10

aeilkema ( ) posted Sat, 31 January 2009 at 6:09 PM

I started with Poser 1, I used it together with Ray-Dream, but never did anything serious with it, but at it's time it was amazing (and still is). It came on 3.5 disks, but I don't recall on how many. I started game design in 1995 and that is why I was interested in Poser, but for that purpose it wasn't really usable. I skipped version 2, but Poser 3 was the first Poser I started to use seriously. My first commercial game Commander Josh, had a lot of it's characters done, posed, animated and rendered in Poser 3. Then I did get 4, 5, 6, skipped 7 and now got Poser Pro.

Artwork and 3DToons items, create the perfect place for you toon and other figures!

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/index.php?vendor=23722

Due to the childish TOS changes, I'm not allowed to link to my other products outside of Rendo anymore :(

Food for thought.....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYZw0dfLmLk

SeanMartin ( ) posted Sat, 31 January 2009 at 7:28 PM

There were two disks and no serial number. IIRC, they gave it away.

Latexluv ( ) posted Sat, 31 January 2009 at 7:58 PM

I started with Poser 3. Upgraded to Poser 4 within a few months. I have every version of Poser since then.

"A lonely climber walks a tightrope to where dreams are born and never die!" - Billy Thorpe, song: Edge of Madness, album: East of Eden's Gate

Weapons of choice:

Poser Pro 2012, SR2, Paintshop Pro 8

Porthos ( ) posted Sat, 31 January 2009 at 8:02 PM

I started with Poser 4, and have all versions up to Poser Pro 7!

MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
Intel Core i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz, 12.0GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 7770

PoserPro 2012 (SR1) - Units: Metres , Corel PSP X4 and PSE 9

RedPhantom ( ) posted Sat, 31 January 2009 at 8:17 PM
Site Admin

So since you all have been using it since p1 and in the mid 90s and i started with p6 and started about 3 years ago am I still a newbie?

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader Monster of the North and The Shimmering Mage

Today I break my own personal record for the number of days for being alive.
Check out my store here or my free stuff here
I use Poser 13 and win 10

SeanMartin ( ) posted Sat, 31 January 2009 at 8:21 PM

Yeppers, ya little whipper snapper! And stay off my damn lawn!

MagnusGreel ( ) posted Sat, 31 January 2009 at 8:46 PM

Action Man

(Uk licenced version of GI-Joe.)

Airport security is a burden we must all shoulder. Do your part, and please grope yourself in advance.

Winterclaw ( ) posted Sat, 31 January 2009 at 11:35 PM

I started with 7...  (checks gallery) and as of wensday I'll have been putting things up here at renderosity for one year.

WARK!

Thus Spoketh Winterclaw: a blog about a Winterclaw who speaks from time to time.

(using Poser Pro 2014 SR3, on 64 bit Win 7, poser units are inches.)

TrekkieGrrrl ( ) posted Sun, 01 February 2009 at 5:05 PM

I had several Action Man (men?)

I started with Poser 4, back around 1999 (OMG that's 10 years this year) - Actually I started with Bryce 4 and wanted to put people in my sci-fi landscapes. And so Poser 4 was the natural choise. 

Then I upgraded to Pro Pack - WOOT! PNG thumbnails and no more .bum files!
Then Poser 5 - WOOT! Raytracing. AT LAST! (to be honest it took me a good while to accept Poser 4's renders AS renders, since I was used to Bryce's raytraces... I considered Poser 4's "render" as more of a preview for a long time)
Poser 6 - WOOT! Stability! AT LAST! And Point Lights - something I'd envied DS for. And a female that wasn't butt ugly, too.
Poser 7 - WOOT! SPEED - and HDRI! and some GOOD looking guys ^_^

And that's whereI stand. I'm contemplating getting Poser Pro ever since BagginsBill told me about the improved lights there... Need some more funds first though.

FREEBIES! | My Gallery | My Store | My FB | Tumblr |
You just can't put the words "Poserites" and "happy" in the same sentence - didn't you know that? LaurieA
  Using Poser since 2002. Currently at Version 11.1 - Win 10.

leather-guy ( ) posted Mon, 02 February 2009 at 10:44 AM

I started with Poser 1 - I read about it in a British computer magazine, and I remember calling Kai's Fractal Designs every month for a year before it came out, as they missed one release deadline after another before they would finally accept my phone order for "that 3D Manequin program" .
I still have a copy of every version 1 thru 7 installed on my G drive except Ver2 & ProPack (lost the disks in an emergency move due to a flood)

meatballs ( ) posted Mon, 02 February 2009 at 3:28 PM · edited Mon, 02 February 2009 at 3:30 PM

I started with Poser 6 but spent all my time trying to figure out how to use the dam thing. The biggest problem i had was figuring how to sort my runtimes out and that. But after afew months reading online tuts, it soon became easy. I now have poser7 and like it loads, but still feel i have got alot to learn.

bopperthijs ( ) posted Mon, 02 February 2009 at 4:35 PM

file_423209.jpg

I started with Poser 1 after using an obscure similar program called mannequin. Bought Poser 2 and 3 ,but  skipped 4 and the propack because it wasn't available in Holland for some time and 'don't know if internetshopping was possible in those days. Anyway I ordered Poser 5,6,7 and poserpro. But I really started to use it after release 5, poser 1 and 2 were just toys. I still have some old renders I made in 1998 in Bryce with some poserfigures imported in it. I used Bryce because poser wasn't very useful as a renderer: only three infinite lights, no material room, no raytracing. The only thing that was rather advanced for its time were the animation tools, it's a pity that hasn't been developed better over the years. Bryce was a better program than Vue then.

best regards,

Bopper.

-How can you improve things when you don't make mistakes?

smallspace ( ) posted Tue, 03 February 2009 at 12:25 PM

Poser 1...last Mac program I ever bought. (for a Mac Plus, no less!)

I'd rather stay in my lane than lay in my stain!

Cage ( ) posted Wed, 04 February 2009 at 1:33 PM

I started with Poser 4 in August, 1999, but really didn't get the hang of it until Poser 5 came out in 2002.  I started using it because I still fancied myself to be an artist of some sort, at the time, having grown up with people telling me I was one because I had a basic talent (although limited skill) for drawing.  Hmm.  Now I recognize that I'm no artist.  I spend most of my time with Poser tinkering and building, rarely making images beyond basic test renders.  That and cursing a lot, mainly at the joint handling.  Hoo boy.  Oddly, Poser's joints didn't bother me when I was more interested in using it for making images.  Hmm.

The P4 days were good times, IMO.  It's a different world, now.  Not necessarily better or worse, just very different.

===========================sigline======================================================

Cage can be an opinionated jerk who posts without thinking.  He apologizes for this.  He's honestly not trying to be a turkeyhead.

Cage had some freebies, compatible with Poser 11 and below.  His Python scripts were saved at archive.org, along with the rest of the Morphography site, where they were hosted.

seaayre ( ) posted Wed, 04 February 2009 at 4:10 PM

Poser 4 was the first for me. I loved it so much that I upgraded to the Pro Pack version as soon as I could. The most exciting thing about Poser 5 (after about the last update when it would finally run well on my PC) was the folder structure. I remember in Poser 4 turning matpose files into Camera files or Face files just to fit in all the bounty I accumulated over the years. LOL What a nightmare it was to find stuff. :)

StudioDP ( ) posted Mon, 09 February 2009 at 9:21 PM

I started with poser  3 I believe when I had the time and a computer, But the output wasn't fitting the on the chips. So I took some college chip development  put a lot of money in 3d chips and in past 3 years I have redevelped using the software for better handling and photo quality output. Now there is A pro version and it's a big miljoen dollar industrie.

greetings

Maarten

Fazzel ( ) posted Tue, 10 February 2009 at 11:38 AM

After seeing 3-D art in several websites I decided to try to find out how it was made.  One
of the programs talked about was something called Poser.  So I looked in Amazon.com
to see if they had it. They had something called Poser 5 and it seemed fairly cheap,
around $150, so I decided to buy it. I was pleasantly surprised when I found out
it could also do animations as well as just still images.  Later on I bought Poser 6.
Skipped Poser 7 and am now using Poser Pro Basic.

MadameX ( ) posted Tue, 10 February 2009 at 11:47 AM

I actually started with DAZ Studio....wanted Poser, but couldn't afford it. Then when CP was giving ver. 5 away, I snapped it up! Let it sit for quite a while before getting up the courage to learn how to use it; haven't looked back since! Skipped ver. 6, then up graded to 7. I still like Studio, but can't get it to run on my new pc. P7 has no problems at all with it, so I'm not complaining at all!  :D

cliffwms ( ) posted Tue, 10 February 2009 at 6:16 PM

I started with Poser 2 and upgraded ever since Poser Pro. Even though I use 3D MAX and MAYA, I still come back to Poser for those quick images. Poser seems to work best for our website comics. Can anyone tell me if Larry Weinberg will be making the next generation of Poser? Long time Renderosity member as well.

Kauyamari ( ) posted Thu, 12 February 2009 at 8:42 PM

I am new at this.  I have yet to get poser.  I am attempting to figure out if I really need/want it.  I really like the textures which Poser 5 is required; however, I do not think I will ever need the bulk of Poser, just certain textures.  Is the a way to use the textures without having to buy a program I will not use?

CaptainJack1 ( ) posted Thu, 12 February 2009 at 9:06 PM

I started with Poser 2, and I made exactly one picture with it. I spent two weeks making it, and I decided the end result was stupid, so I got rid of it. Later I got Poser 4, and played, but didn't do much. Got Poser 5 and really started making things after that. I've got Poser 7, but I've recently started playing with Carrara, and I'm finding all kinds of interesting uses for all the Poser content I've got (including a Zygote CD I got waaaaaaay back when). 😄

Conniekat8 ( ) posted Thu, 12 February 2009 at 9:15 PM

One or two, I don't remember. It was in the mid 90's. But, I never really used it much, or 'got into it' untill P5.
I got Poser and Bryce about the same time, and Bryce caught my attenton more then Poser way back.

Hi, my namez: "NO, Bad Kitteh, NO!"  Whaz yurs?
BadKittehCo Store  BadKittehCo Freebies and product support

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.