Fri, Oct 4, 2:24 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Vue

Welcome to the Vue Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, TheBryster

Vue F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 26 4:27 pm)

Subject: realistic moon

joncarlile ( ) posted Wed, 04 February 2009 at 10:27 AM · edited Fri, 04 October 2024 at 2:20 PM

Hi all,

Is there a way to replace the sun/moon in vue or add a real Jpeg of the moon so that its atatched to the sun/moon light? i've been looking in the setting but can't find anything.

prob an easy question... newbie!

thanks
jon

jc ( ) posted Wed, 04 February 2009 at 12:04 PM

I don't know any way to "attach" anything to the default sun or planets.

But it's easy to make a Moon billboard (a transparent, camera-facing plane) with a .jpg image on it and have it glow. And/or use a light with it. Any Vue light source becomes invisible if you turn off its lens flare effect, so you can place it right in front of your billboard. 

You can turn off the sun by deleting it and control indirect sunlight by loading a night-time atmosphere or by using black for the sunlight and skylight colors.

silverblade33 ( ) posted Wed, 04 February 2009 at 12:13 PM

You can also get high res moon textures, free, apply them to a sphere, and move the sphere MILES away up above the clouds, and I do mean MILES, so you get the right look, and scale it up miles in size too :)

"I'd rather be a Fool who believes in Dragons, Than a King who believes in Nothing!" www.silverblades-suitcase.com
Free tutorials, Vue & Bryce materials, Bryce Skies, models, D&D items, stories.
Tutorials on Poser imports to Vue/Bryce, Postwork, Vue rendering/lighting, etc etc!

Rutra ( ) posted Wed, 04 February 2009 at 12:52 PM · edited Wed, 04 February 2009 at 12:53 PM

If you use either a alpha plane or a sphere, there are some things you should do as well: you should turn off cast shadows, receive shadows and indirect lighting in the moon object. The first two it's fairly obvious, I think, but the indirect lighting tip is often neglected by many people. In outer space, there's no indirect lighting from the atmosphere, so shadows are always deep black. If you don't turn indirect lighting off, you'll have the shadow of your moon gray and not completely black.

Quote - "Is there a way to replace the sun/moon in vue or add a real Jpeg of the moon so that its atatched to the sun/moon light?"

Yes and no. To the moon or any other planet, yes, it's possible. To the sun, it's not possible.
To do it on the moon, just create a planet and then, on the material properties, just left of the 3 sliders phase/brightness/softness, click on a button with a yellow arrow. Choose custom and browse to a jpg of your choice. It will be wrapped around the planet. If you want a planet with rings, you have to create a Saturn planet before and then choose the custom jpg.

GaryMiller ( ) posted Wed, 04 February 2009 at 7:34 PM
dlk30341 ( ) posted Wed, 04 February 2009 at 7:40 PM

Attached Link: http://www.oera.net/How2/TextureMaps2.htm

You can get REAL moon mats at this link - then apply them to a sphere.  Hope this helps :)

joncarlile ( ) posted Thu, 05 February 2009 at 9:01 AM

Wow,

Many thanks for all your help. Really nice of you all.

Thanks

jon

GaryMiller ( ) posted Thu, 05 February 2009 at 9:25 AM

I am really glad you took just a moment to express your gratitude for everyone's thoughtful concerns in assisting you.  That is what WE are here for.

joncarlile ( ) posted Thu, 05 February 2009 at 11:40 AM

Gary,

It's really amazing that i'm finding this forum really friendly. i mean you're all really nice! I'm really new with vue, i've asked very few questions on the forum, because being honest i worry about being told to look in the manual!,  and i know that some of the questions i've asked on other forums i've had abuse for asking simple questions. So again, thanks.

jon

FrankT ( ) posted Thu, 05 February 2009 at 12:13 PM

Nobody is born knowing this stuff (although some people seem to acquire the knowhow by osmosis or something!)
Keep on asking and we'll keep on answering :biggrin:

My Freebies
Buy stuff on RedBubble

craftycurate ( ) posted Sat, 07 February 2009 at 8:29 PM · edited Sat, 07 February 2009 at 8:39 PM

Yep it's a pretty friendly and helpful forum, that's for sure :) Thanks everyone for helping to make it so. I hope I add my $0.02 to that.

I hang out a fair bit on the Ableton forum (music software) and it is one of the worst for bad manners, rudeness, know-it-alls and some really wounded people justing firing off at everyone.

There are polite ways to inform someone that their question is answered in the manual, or is too general for a specific answer or whatever.

Thanks
Richard

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.