Wed, Sep 18, 7:50 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 7:39 am)

Subject: Linux and Poser PRO

westcat ( ) posted Wed, 04 February 2009 at 4:52 PM · edited Tue, 10 September 2024 at 7:42 AM

I'd like to hear from anyone using Linux and POSER PRO. 

How does it run?  or not?

Anthanasius ( ) posted Thu, 05 February 2009 at 4:01 AM

It run with wine if youre not affraid with french look here www.winehq.org

Génération mobiles Le Forum / Le Site

cspear ( ) posted Thu, 05 February 2009 at 10:06 AM

Yep, WINE is you only real option, but be prepared for glitches & crashes even if you get it working.

But Poser is a PC / MAC application... why not set up a dual boot  machine and run it under the OS it was designed for?

Windows 10 x64 Pro - Intel Xeon E5450 @ 3.00GHz (x2)

PoserPro 11 - Units: Metres

Adobe CC 2017

CauriBlackthorne ( ) posted Thu, 05 February 2009 at 4:27 PM

I run it under linux/ ubuntu and poser pro works fine. With winetricks even daz studio, hexagon and carrara 7pro work pretty good. I had one crash with poser so far and a few with carrara, but I can't tell if this was carraras or ubuntus fault. I had problems with carrara 6 pro under windows too. As I never use DAZ Studio and am not willing to learn it I can only say that figure loading and basic renders work. I had to install it to get Carrara working under linux, it had something to do with the VB-Runtimes.
As cspear alredy said I recommend setting up a dual boot machine because many apps won't work that good with linux because they are designed to work with windows. Allthough the DAZ bitrock installers work fine with winetricks the initializing of the morphs for V4 and m4 won't work ( at least for me) so if you want use your morphpacks you will have to initialize them under windows.

WandW ( ) posted Thu, 05 February 2009 at 4:46 PM · edited Thu, 05 February 2009 at 4:48 PM

Quote - Yep, WINE is you only real option, but be prepared for glitches & crashes even if you get it working.

But Poser is a PC / MAC application... why not set up a dual boot  machine and run it under the OS it was designed for?

Becuse then you can't do anything else whilst using Poser.  Mac OSX is Unix anyway, so there's a good likelyhood the universal binary would run under WIne.  Poser 7 runs decently under stock Wine, and almost perfectly under patched Wine.  However, I haven't yet purchased Poser Pro.

I wish I had known that Cararra 7 ran under Wine, as I couldn't get the beta to work properly, so I didn't upgrade.

DAZ Studio works with the latest version of Virtualbox in a Windows 2000 VM if you turn on 3D Acceleration on the virtual machine settings (at least with an nVidia card).

Cheers,

Rod

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Wisdom of bagginsbill:

"Oh - the manual says that? I have never read the manual - this must be why."
“I could buy better software, but then I'd have to be an artist and what's the point of that?"
"The [R'osity Forum Search] 'Default' label should actually say 'Don't Find What I'm Looking For'".
bagginsbill's Free Stuff... https://web.archive.org/web/20201010171535/https://sites.google.com/site/bagginsbill/Home

westcat ( ) posted Thu, 05 February 2009 at 5:07 PM

WOW thanks folks :) 

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.