Tue, Sep 24, 6:15 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 24 12:07 am)

Subject: Can poser characters be converted to Iclones 3.2 Pro?

HS1 ( ) posted Mon, 09 February 2009 at 4:03 PM · edited Tue, 24 September 2024 at 6:14 AM

Hi all,
New here, learning how to use Iclones 3.2 Pro to create a rough film in order to produce the real one. My questions is this, I have seen quiet a few characters etc that have a great look/style etc in programs like daz 3d and Poser plus a number of others. Does anyone know if these can be converted to be used in Iclones 3.2? Any advice greatly apprecited, thanks,
H :)

NolosQuinn ( ) posted Wed, 11 February 2009 at 12:07 PM

Sounds like you want to do a previz for your film. Check out www.moviestorm.com. Its a free 3D animation program that does machinima style movies. Its easier to use than IClone and a lot cheaper.

Tell them Nolos! sent you and I get points if you download.

Good luck on your project,
Nolos.

'I'm paying for this movie. I want guns'

WandW ( ) posted Wed, 11 February 2009 at 12:59 PM

Quote - Sounds like you want to do a previz for your film. Check out www.moviestorm.com. Its a free 3D animation program that does machinima style movies. Its easier to use than IClone and a lot cheaper.

I think you mean www.moviestorm.co.uk

Cheers,

Rod

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Wisdom of bagginsbill:

"Oh - the manual says that? I have never read the manual - this must be why."
“I could buy better software, but then I'd have to be an artist and what's the point of that?"
"The [R'osity Forum Search] 'Default' label should actually say 'Don't Find What I'm Looking For'".
bagginsbill's Free Stuff... https://web.archive.org/web/20201010171535/https://sites.google.com/site/bagginsbill/Home

LostinSpaceman ( ) posted Wed, 11 February 2009 at 2:12 PM

I think you're both advertising a site that has nothing to do with importing Poser figures into Iclone!

HS1 ( ) posted Wed, 11 February 2009 at 2:33 PM

Hi All,
Thank you for the replies, I do own a copy of of Iclones 3.2 pro (whicjh is waht i will be using :) hence my question remains the same as above about Poser characters being converted inot Iclones using 3Dexchange - can this be done, are their any complcations etc? I await :)
Thanks
H

NolosQuinn ( ) posted Wed, 11 February 2009 at 2:57 PM

From the 3dexchange site:

'Poser can export obj and 3ds files that can be converted into iClone vns format. Though Poser has animation capability, the exported obj and 3ds files contain still meshes only which look like snapshots of specific frames. That is, you can pose the figure and export the shape of the result, but not animated meshes.'

To answer your question, yes you can if you only want still images. Otherwise you would have to import each frame. Don't know if there is a plugin to import animations from Poser to IClone. Yet, anyway.

Just trying to suggest a way to make the directors job easier. I'm currently doing the same pre-production.

WandW, thanks for for correcting the link.

Nolos.

HS1 ( ) posted Wed, 11 February 2009 at 3:18 PM

Hi Nolos,
So how difficult would it be to take a 3d character from  poser file and animate him in (including putting him into different poses)? Someone mentioned about converitn the file and adding "bones" which would the work? Any idea how that is done? Thanks for your reply, very helpful and am still learning. You'd think that with all these 3d software packages everyone could work togehter so file transfer would be eay and could be used in each software :)  So are you trying to create a similar thing, how is that going?
best wishes
H

NolosQuinn ( ) posted Wed, 11 February 2009 at 4:13 PM

Well, since this is a rough film, use the characters already in IClone. You can also change the textures. Or you can get the character packs they have available for sell or free download. Saves you time importing and rigging. Saves on stress, too. Then as you learn the program you can get more adventurous.

Depending on how long your animation is, doing it frame by frame requires a lot of patience. A lot. Especially if its a one person operation.

Poser characters are large and importing into IClone probably impacts the programs performance.

Previz works for me because I can concentrate on getting the story across, not spending hours creating sets, getting poses right for one character, etc.

I'm working on a five minute intro that I will include with the script to hopefully get more funds to complete the full movie.

Have to run. I add more if needed when I get back.
Nolos.

HS1 ( ) posted Wed, 11 February 2009 at 4:30 PM

Hi Nolos,
thanks for the advice again, you speak sense :). what i'm trying to do is more a "live animated " storyboard of a film . The reason I mentioned poser characters is that some of  the people  on here have really good characters which create the feel and look I'd like to add for impact. Hence my main reasons for this whole dilema. I am also slowly learning the Iclones package. Just the poser images look really nice. Hear from you when you get a chance, thanks,
best wishes
H

NolosQuinn ( ) posted Wed, 11 February 2009 at 9:37 PM

For the look and feel you probably want to do it in Poser. You won't get the same results, 'quality', in IClone. If you have created any renders in both programs, you know this already. But IClone may be easier to create an animation.

An old equation: Quality vs Speed vs Cost. You can only pick two.

Nolos.

HS1 ( ) posted Thu, 12 February 2009 at 2:57 PM

You have a good point, now I'm even more frustrated which way to go :) I am waiting for Poser 7 pro to arrive, I have a demo version to play around with, I do agree that Iclones is (i think easier) faster. The on top of all this I have to learn these programs thoroughly (a pain in itself, but no pain no gain they say), I'll be back.. with some other questions if that's okay. Thanks for the feedback, really apreciated.
best wishes
H

l8sho ( ) posted Thu, 18 June 2009 at 5:10 AM

I have the same question as HS1.

Okay, so just once and for all, the answer to the question is "No!" Right? You cannot import, say, a Victoria 4 figure, designed and outfitted in Daz3d, to Iclone and subsequently animate it, right? If you do import such a figure, it will be a still obj. only, right?

Would anyone advocate using Daz3d's AniMate instead of Iclone, or are the render times as massive and frustrating as they seem? 

HS1 ( ) posted Mon, 22 June 2009 at 5:54 PM

Thank you all for the advice so far :)

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.